HDMI cable for inwall use?

The Dude

I have to install a 50' HDMI cable in a friends basement.  I have been reading reviews from some from Monoprice, along with some from Amazon.  They seem to be hit or miss on the quality, person a says that the one from monoprice was junk but says the one from Amazon was great.  Person B says the one from Amazon was junk but the one from Monoprice was great. 

I just wanted to see what the wonderful folks on the Klipsch forum thought.  I don't feel the need to spend a whole lot, I feel that as far as cables go and the build quality is there, then its a good cable.  Maybe that's my problem.

Thanks

I have had one failure of the many, many Monoprice HDMI cables. It was one of the ones several years back that was a large gauge, failed out of th ebox and was immediately replaced. I now use their Redmere HDMI cables and like them a lot.

• Like 2

• Moderators

I've used my 40' HDMI from Monoprice for years.  Has never failed me.  Since I upgraded my projector and receiver, I do have issues with it syncing.  I'm hoping when I redo my front wall with, buying a newer "High Speed" HDMI Cables will hopefully solve my sync issues. 

• Like 2

Ok guy's here is a little back story, not that it matters but i just thought you would like to know.

I all ready ran a Redmere from monoprice. How ever when i did, i installed it backwards. Wish i knew what i known now since it has been drywalled. I must have zip tied the hdmi cable in else i would pull it back out, and run it through the right way. I only want to do this one more time and wanted to make sure i get a durable cable. I have never had any issues with monoprice and i hope i dont start. I never read any reviews, until my buddy called and told me it wasn't working. Thats when i got scared so i thought i would check with you guys on the quality.

I do need to purchase some cat 6 for mself, so i wonder which would be the best route. I guess it just depends which will be easier to pull through.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

I am redoing my basement and just installed an in wall 32' Redmere cable from Monoprice. I tested the cable with my existing A/V before the ceiling was drywalled. In addition, i had my HDMI cable run through a concealed 1.5" diameter conduit pipe from the A/V source to the projector so, if cable fails, I can swap it without the need to tear up the ceiling. 

Edited by Boxoffice Buff
  • Like 3

I am redoing my basement and just installed an in wall 32' Redmere cable from Monoprice. I tested the cable with my existing A/V before the ceiling was drywalled. In addition, i had my HDMI cable run through a concealed 1.5" diameter conduit pipe from the A/V source to the projector so, if cable fails, I can swap it without the need to tear up the ceiling. 

I really should have known better but when I added on an office and family room to my house I failed to run any conduit for this exact purpose.  I will always regret it!!  I didn't even get all my network runs in that I needed... At least I would have had a wire that I could use to pull NEW wire with.  

I have done this in my own basement, but I am seriously considering the CAT 6 over HDMI.  I like this product here, but need to read the reviews. 

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=104&cp_id=10425&cs_id=1042501&p_id=8008&seq=1&format=2

On another note, I am ordering one to try out. If it turns out to be easier to pull a CAT 6 cable than an hdmi, then all I have to do is connect the other cat 6 I ran to this.  Then he will all so have an IR repeater.

I have purchased all my cables from Monoprice recently...4 years or so now, I haven't had a problem yet.  Well the one problem I had was the end I smashed after it was ran in the wall and after the drywall went up.  Monoprice even agreed to repair it for me as long as I shipped it back...doh.

I ran HDMI over ethernet and it worked fine, but I was unable to run the signal once I split it with an HDMI splitter.  Something to think about if you plan on trying to split the signal.  Redmere powered cables might have an issue with splitting the signal too.  I need to do some more reading.

If the price isn't much more look into Cat 6A cable.  I don't know if there are A/V differences, but it is all we run for work anymore for data.  Both can do 10g, but 6A is 10g capable at longer distances.

• Like 1

I have done this in my own basement, but I am seriously considering the CAT 6 over HDMI.  I like this product here, but need to read the reviews. 

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=104&cp_id=10425&cs_id=1042501&p_id=8008&seq=1&format=2

On another note, I am ordering one to try out. If it turns out to be easier to pull a CAT 6 cable than an hdmi, then all I have to do is connect the other cat 6 I ran to this.  Then he will all so have an IR repeater.

Those are the exact plates I have used. They work pretty slick.

I think you will find it is easier to pull two CAT 6 cables than it is to pull an HDMI cable, especially if the cable does not have RJ45 connectors on the ends.  I suspect pulling with the RJ45s will be much the same as pulling the HDMI cable or maybe a bit harder. Putting the RJ45 ends takes some practice. I have experience with this so its not too troublesome but if you have never done this before it can be quite a hassle do do it right. Another method using cables with the RJ45 ends might be to stagger and tape the ends making it easier to pull the cable.

I used to teach a network troubleshooting class back in the day that the first thing I did in the class way have them make their own cables. 1 straight through and 1 crossover. Of course this was done to enforce the importance of the physical layer. If it don't work ain't nothing gonna work...LOL

• Like 1

I picked up a 500' box of CAT 6 last night.  I also ordered another hdmi cable, I want along with a pair of wall plates I listed.  My friend is happy with what ever works as long as it works.  Regardless of what works, I will be able to use the left over stuff in my own basement, so no one is out any money.

I am hoping I get time over the next couple days to finish setting up my server cabinet, that way I can play a bit and test some of these products before I head over to my fiends house.  I will let you know how it turns out.

I can put ends on your Cat 6 if needed.  A or B.   :D   B is usually the only thing you use anymore.  I think someone told me that it is like a USA standard.

Is it just RJ45, if so I have the ends and tools to get the job done.  Thanks for the offer, I do know what you mean about installing the ends as it can  be a bit tricky.

I can put ends on your Cat 6 if needed.  A or B.   :D   B is usually the only thing you use anymore.  I think someone told me that it is like a USA standard.

Is it just RJ45, if so I have the ends and tools to get the job done.  Thanks for the offer, I do know what you mean about installing the ends as it can  be a bit tricky.

Yep, stick with B.