Short timer, feels weard

Good morning everyone.

This is Wed morning. Friday is my last work day and Monday the only thing scheduled is to drive in and pick up my last check between 11 and noon.

After 36 years, it is going to be strange. For better or worse, the plant closing is forcing this. I do have a pension to fall back on while looking for work but I am too young to retire.

It is different between a end of employment that you decide on and one being forced onto you. When I left the Army in 1978, I chose to not re-enlist, thus I chose to end employment. This time, it is just over. A victim of the political times we are in.

Most that were employed here are gone, over 1K people have left. There are only a few cars in the lot now and on Monday there will be even less.

I do have internet at home but as I am not forced to be at a keyboard all day, I don't know how often I will check in.

My spendable income will go down a lot so I did treat myself to a set of pro gaming headphones at half price in the Klipsch sale that is going on at the moment. I sure hope they work with computers and not just consoles. I will find out soon!

Well, excuse the Venting, there is nothing anyone at the plant, this website or anyplace else that can be done. It is just what is going to happen and I have watched this factory go from over 22K people to being closed while I have worked here. It is just my turn. UH, well :wacko:

• Like 3

Don't sweat it.  Take it a day at a time and smell the roses for a change.  If you have good health, that's all you really need.  Invest in the things that actually make a difference in living--instead of just making money. If you find another job, make sure that it isn't just for the money this time around.

After a while (probably a few months), you'll figure out what's important and what's not.  Gravitating toward the stuff you like is a pleasant change and one that you should remember for a long time. 

Above all: be happy with what you've got--and you'll be happy.  Find new friends and chase down old ones that you've lost track of.  The Web is a wonderful place to start--economical, too.

Chris

Cal, it's not over with, it's just a transition.

I quit my old job the end of April and started drawing my pension. I had started my next job the previous December because I was so embarrassed to go to work every day due to the clowns I worked for. 

Income is lower but the 2 days/week that I've cut myself back to is great. I'm learning again and there's something new and different every day.

There is something or a combination of things out there that will give you smiles, fulfillment and maybe some pocket money.

I went from being an Apple Certified geek to occasionally working in hog confinements and I am now happier/healthier. Best wishes on your transition.

• Like 1

I was laid off 5 years ago in November coming up, can't believe it has been five years, after 37 years with the same company, I turned 60 this year, and celebrated a 40th

wedding anniversary. When I go to functions, like funerals or somesuch, I just say now that I don't have to work, people look at me like we are rich, which we are not, but

everything is paid for except for a car payment. We still do vacations in the trailer with the dogs. I have learned so many new things, dish washer, washing machine and stuff

like that. The building I spent my whole life in is vacant too. Wish I knew something smart to say, but just go through the day, try and stay healthy. I keep thinking in the back

of my mind that I will work again, but I never go and take an interview.

• Like 1

Ya, it is not the end of the world, In many ways I am looking forward and at the same time, longing for the security I had known in the past. The money is enough to take care of things and now I have time to move other interests to the front of the line. I teach blacksmithing and take on a paying job when they come along. I have learned to professionally detail cars when I purchased my Challenger last year. I have already made a fair bit of money doing it, not enough to pay for the equipment but perhaps 3/4 of it.

The wife has had health issues for many years and she has a caretaker over a few hours a day to help, now I will have more time to spend at home with her.

The factory that is closing is the Boeing facility at Long Beach Calif. We made the C- 17 cargo transport that is the back bone of the military. With only 220 AC in service and some getting as old as 25 years, the fleet has logged over 3 MILLION flight hours while maintaining a record breaking minimal down time for service in the process.

I have been on this program since 1985 making the tooling needed to make the aircraft. For the last 20 years I have been in tooling inspection and the last 5 years I have been the source inspector. I traveled to all the shops that were making tooling or parts of tooling for us and inspected their work before they were allowed shipment.

• Like 2

Cal, rummy and the rest have it right.  I am also in danger as a casualty of the Arab ploy to keep us energy dependent.  However, I am 66 and while I could use another year or so I have been told by reliable sources that it isn't only not the end of the world it can be the best thing that ever happened.

So, I am concentrating on my dreams, like the Music Center, and the more I do so the less I care about the oil field and my profession.  Bring it on, I say.

Dave

reminds me of my military days...walking through the building telling myself "last time i'll be in this room," "last time i'll use this soda machine."

hope you're handling it well emotionally.  heard Brian May talk about loving being in the studio because, as he said, "it was like a blank canvas, we could do whatever we wanted."  I think that's a good way to approach some situations...you have a blank canvas now...go paint a beautiful picture.

Best Wishes.

p.s. I know that area well, having lived in Long Beach once upon time.

Edited by BigStewMan
  • Like 1

The last night that I worked I made up my mind that I would not work another night in my life. There was no reminiscing about things I would miss because I knew I would not miss a minute of what my job had become. I got off and walked out of the door without telling anyone that I would not be back. A guy I knew was standing outside the door and spoke to me as I walked out. I asked him if he would like to see something that he would never see again. He said sure, so I walked about 30 feet and got in my car, cranked it and drove off. I drove about a quarter-mile to the main office, walked in and resigned.

I don't miss the job at all. Not one bit. I miss my friends and the camaraderie but I call them and we share a few laughs. I work on making up lost time with my wife who tolerated myself and the job that required so much of our time for so many years. I love retirement. As I've said many times before it just doesn't get any better than this.

I think worry comes easy to a working man, especially to one that thinks he has some control of his own destiny. But you're walking around one day and something happens. You didn't get an e-mail or a post card, it just happens without warning. None of us knows when that day will come. So you may as well enjoy each and every day of retirement that you can, after all, that's what we all work for.

I hope you adapt and enjoy your retirement Cal. Don't worry about it. It comes naturally, like sex.

Keith

post-3284-0-28240000-1440945685_thumb.jp

Edited by T2K
  • Like 3

FWIW. 

My father-in-law, in-law retired and was in a pretty comfortable situation.  He needed something to do and became a volunteer driver for the Red Cross.  He enjoyed it but then moved to Florida to be with the rest of his friends from work who retired there.

This is pure speculation on my part -- I don't know if you're looking for a new job and don't know if you're worried about a long gap on the resume.  Decades ago I got gracefully fired and worried about the gap.  I found a very low pay job at an academic institution, but still in my profession, at least looking from the outside.  It was someplace to go.to every day.  Eventually a good job came though. 

it was nice that the new employer saw me as someone who was working in the profession and not a "has been."

So, you might look at some filler job.  A lot of people do.  Even set yourself up as a consultant.  Maybe Boeing needs them.

Best luck to you.

WMcD

I before E, except after C, except in words like weigh and neighbor.  Those are the "weird" (get it? Smile) words.

Edited by William F. Gil McDermott

Well, I am a few days out now, the earth has not stopped rotating LOL.

It feels GREAT to sleep as late into the day as needed to make up for the late night before :D

Projects of upgrades to my shop are taking place, no schedule, no worry about getting it done before going back to work, Just stop when it gets "too hot" or I have had enough, THIS IS GREAT!!!

I have been looking at the unemployment board for jobs as it is a requirement of applying for unemployment assistance (hey the job ended due to them not a fault of mine) and though there are a couple of listings that I could fill, I don't want to work 2nd shift and VERY likely, they don't pay on a level that is the same as my experience as they look a lot like starter jobs, 2 years minimum in a like job. I have 36.5 years, how does that go about being .. over qualified :P

I am fretting a little about money but on paper, it works out, it is just not as ...... comfortable as I used to be and my purchases on a whim are cut back to nada.

I find myself wincing at a $70 fillup on the truck now where that used to just be SOP in the past. 3 days out and I am counting pennies, once things settle down I am sure it will feel a bit better.

I think I am going to like this  and I know the wife is much happier :D

Edited by Cal Blacksmith
  • Like 1