TX Gulf residents - opinions/ knowledge on Port Lavaca

richieb

Drive down tonight and you can stay a couple of nights with me. The weather is mid 80's and low humidity. You can drive for 5 miles down Front Beach Road (PCB) without stopping. Everybody went back to school it seems. I'll walk out on the beach and take a few pictures for you here in a minute. The water is beautiful and the beer is cold and dem shrimps is tasty. Oh yeah, there's a guy from texas staying next door.Keith

Looks nice, where you at?

• Like 1

Drive down tonight and you can stay a couple of nights with me. The weather is mid 80's and low humidity. You can drive for 5 miles down Front Beach Road (PCB) without stopping. Everybody went back to school it seems. I'll walk out on the beach and take a few pictures for you here in a minute. The water is beautiful and the beer is cold and dem shrimps is tasty. Oh yeah, there's a guy from texas staying next door.Keith

If you really want to get away... The Padre Island National Seashore (http://www.nps.gov/pais/index.html) and points south, is a National Park and protected wilderness area... and less than an hour from Corpus Christi.

Actually about 30 minutes. When you come bring your truck to drive on beach and then haul this back with you

Subliminal advertising, very clever. Saw them for sale early on but am well stocked at the moment. Great gear, had VRD's several years ago, moved on as usual.

• Like 1

If you really want to get away... The Padre Island National Seashore (http://www.nps.gov/pais/index.html) and points south, is a National Park and protected wilderness area... and less than an hour from Corpus Christi.

Actually about 30 minutes. When you come bring your truck to drive on beach and then haul this back with you

Subliminal advertising, very clever. Saw them for sale early on but am well stocked at the moment. Great gear, had VRD's several years ago, moved on as usual.

Not sure you've been far enough down Padre.  The dunes are totally spectacular and comparable to or even larger than Florida's Atlantic side dunes.  Love it down there.  Not so particular about the water color.  If I was, I'd head back to southeast Asia off the cost of Hainan where I could see the structure of the drilling platform well over a hundred feet down.  Watching the wildlife down there was truly spectacular.   

Food's better in Texas too...my wife is from Tampa and the inlaws are still there so we've spent a lot of time down there.  Beautiful beaches, indeed...but getting away from hoards of tourists sucks.   In that regard as well as the food and people I'll settle for Galveston any day.

Wife's brother lives in Tampa, visited several times. Decent place to visit I guess but to live there - no way. Way too crowded, too much traffic, the weather/beaches don't come near offsetting that for me.

Dave

• Like 1

I agree on the Florida beaches but have done those, the Keyes, Sanibel/Captiva (now your talkin') and was looking for something different and within a long one day drive. Great input, guess we have some info to sort through.

Have you been to Gulf Shores, AL ? It's a little more family oriented and somewhat less developed than Panama City. Down towards Ft. Morgan there are sparsely populated areas that you might prefer. According to what you want. I was going there last week but the weather was going to be wet so we cancelled that. Maybe next month. The crowds are gone now, even on weekends.

The place I'm at now (Laguna Beach)was where families stayed when I was a kid. Back then a high rise was 3 or 4 floors. I hate the high rises. I prefer to rent a house. Here's a picture of beachfront houses across Front Beach Road (road in picture in prior post). They run around $2200 a week, or you can walk 30' across the 2-lane road and save $1200 to $1500 a week. Panama City has many public access areas to the beach, more so than Gulf Shores, AL. I always stay in a primarily residential area with a short walk to the beach. Many rentals have golf carts if you prefer to not get exercise, like myself. I exercise my right elbow with a 12 oz weight. I think I have a picture of that too.

post-3284-0-01240000-1440647543_thumb.jp

post-3284-0-66440000-1440647584_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Alright, Keith, I'll throw a bit of grudging support.  Gulf Shores is beautiful, but a bit high end and touristy.  We have stayed a couple of times at the Gulf Breeze on nearby Dauphin Island and found it both with a marvelous and not too crowded beach and at prices that were much lower than other nearby areas.  Don't recall, but in the sub hundred per night range. 

Favorite price/performance in Florida is Mexico Beach west of Apalachicola.  Wonderful little totally off the Interstate town with a great vintage motel on a marvelous and under used beach. 

OTOH, no Fossati's or Kemp's Ridley turtles...

Dave

• Like 2

Driving down Padre is exhilarating.  But go as though you were heading into the wilderness as once you get a few miles down the beach it's pure beauty and nothing else. 

Dave

It used to be that Texas allowed overnight camping on it's public beaches. I don't know if that is still the case, but if it is, that is an advantage over the Florida beaches, most of which do not allow campers. Years ago we took a motorcycle trip to Padre and camped on the appropriately named Shell Beach. We went a couple of miles past the last tire tracks to a beautiful, pristine area and stayed for a couple of days. Good times.

• Like 1

I've lived in TX and FL for most of my adult life.  FL beaches as a whole are much nicer.  You also don't have to look at oil rigs while you're beachcombing.  I'll never forget the first time I went to a beach here in TX and stepped on a tar ball.  What the f*** is that??????!!!!!!!

• Like 1

Alright, Keith, I'll throw a bit of grudging support.  Gulf Shores is beautiful, but a bit high end and touristy.  We have stayed a couple of times at the Gulf Breeze on nearby Dauphin Island and found it both with a marvelous and not too crowded beach and at prices that were much lower than other nearby areas.  Don't recall, but in the sub hundred per night range. 

Favorite price/performance in Florida is Mexico Beach west of Apalachicola.  Wonderful little totally off the Interstate town with a great vintage motel on a marvelous and under used beach. 

OTOH, no Fossati's or Kemp's Ridley turtles...

Dave

I agree on the Mexico Beach statement. My Dad lives just east of Panama City, and while there I usually go to Mexico Beach for a day or two. Last year I spent a few days on St George Island, it's just east of Mexico Beach. i really liked St George Island, it's remote, not too expensive, and not too touristy.

• Like 1