TX Gulf residents - opinions/ knowledge on Port Lavaca

richieb

To the OP, so with all of this wealth of information directly answering all your questions explictedly, where you headed?

As of now, undecided. The TX gulf will take us through Dallas, can visit a relative, and my wife has never been to Austin or San Antonio so we could do a bit of sight seeing. If its for beach only I am leaning to the Gulf Shores area. The drive from KC to either gulf location is darn near the same, less than a 100 mile difference.

• Like 1

To the OP, so with all of this wealth of information directly answering all your questions explictedly, where you headed?

As of now, undecided. The TX gulf will take us through Dallas, can visit a relative, and my wife has never been to Austin or San Antonio so we could do a bit of sight seeing. If its for beach only I am leaning to the Gulf Shores area. The drive from KC to either gulf location is darn near the same, less than a 100 mile difference.

Ah, more options! Austin on Friday or Saturday night walking down 6th (?) street enjoying the eyeball liberty :) and listening to some great live music from bar to bar.

San Antonio's River Walk, another bar/resturant scene; fun times at Dirty Dick's

San Antone to Corpus (gotta go that way to get back to anything along this part of coast) is 2 hours of nadda, zippy do da day, nadda until you go NNE to your original destination or thru Corpus to the National Sea Shore others have posted about.

Come thru here (Corpus) and I can offer a brew/drink/steak/ribs on the grill.

• Like 1

I'm really shocked that there are so few people down here. I haven't experienced any wait at any of the popular eateries, or anywhere else. My favorite eatery so far was actually take-out only. A 5th-generation seafood market. A couple pounds of Royal Reds shrimp ($14.99 lb), new potatoes, cob corn and a pint of seafood gumbo was about $40. Took maybe 10 minutes to steam. Easily the absolute best shrimp I have ever eaten. All of it was great, even the gumbo, and I wasn't crazy about seafood gumbo.

http://www.buddysseafoodmarket.com/menu.html

Keith

post-3284-0-01820000-1440734244_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Check out VRBO for the type of place you want to stay (house,condo)then do a globble street view tour. Rates drop monthly with exception of timing of special events. If you don't stay on the beach look for a place close to good beach access. I think you should be able to find a nice house for around $900 a week total off, but close, to the beach.

The old place I'm staying in West PCB,FL cost $752 week, across the street from beach. Across the street, 30 feet or so and on the beach, is a house for sale for $1.4 million. I don't mind walking across the street anymore.

Keith

Edited by T2K
  • Like 1

ISLAND HOUSE is where I stayed on Corpus Christi Beach. Pretty sure I went out on that Pier & ate something from the store at the base.

Seadog, can't get you Pier Link to Work...

IF you go to the Gulf Shores area & like Blue Grass, The Original Point offers Live Music, Excellent Food & a Family Atmosphere on weekends. They are on the Florida side. Check with them for nights for music: Thursday-Saturday, I think.

Edited by Sancho Panza

ISLAND HOUSE is where I stayed on Corpus Christi Beach. Pretty sure I went out on that Pier & ate something from the store at the base.

Seadog, can't get you Pier Link to Work...

IF you go to the Gulf Shores area & like Blue Grass, The Original Point offers Live Music, Excellent Food & a Family Atmosphere on weekends. They are on the Florida side. Check with them for nights for music: Thursday-Saturday, I think.

Try the link now.  It should work.

http://www.visitcorpuschristitx.org/see-and-do/beaches/pier-balli-park/

• Like 1

Yes, the Original Point on Innerarity Point Road. Good fresh gulf seafood and "Bubba and Them" on weekend nights.

Edited by Don Richard
  • Like 1

Been going there so long, that I knew Bubba when she was skinny...

Yes, the Original Point on Innerarity Point Road. Good fresh gulf seafood and "Bubba and Them" on weekend nights.

Port Aransas is good if you are looking for solitude. The Island kinda goes at its own speed, which is we aint in no hurry,

so the sooner you figure that out, the better time you will have. On The Beach RV is a unique place, right next to the dunes.

You can go get drunk with the fishing charter guys at noon Tuesday through Thursday at the Wild Horse of something like that,

cant figure out why I cant remember the name. But the guy is right, after San Antonio, nada, zip, just you and the road

and occasional state trooper.

• Like 1