Does anyone like audiophiles?

tube fanatic

It is interesting, especially since I'm not involved with any social media (maybe in 20 years, if I'm still alive, I'll evolve to that point!).

Maynard

This is social media, lol.  I buy gear and music that I like and don't really worry about what other people think.  A lot of us spend a good bit of time listening to music and can pickup on small difference between gear or systems.  That little bit makes for all the difference.  I don't claim to be an audiophile, I just like my tunes. :)

• Like 3

most of the "audiophiles" on this site are very helpful and courteous. what I consider audiophiles anyway.

the others, very few, remind me of construction engineers and architects who never set foot on a construction site.

"but, on paper it fits!"

• Like 3

most of the "audiophiles" on this site are very helpful and courteous. what I consider audiophiles anyway.

the others, very few, remind me of construction engineers and architects who never set foot on a construction site.

"but, on paper it fits!"

Sounds like the typical contractor who's stuck in rut.

Edited by Gilbert

I think of it as hobby, nothing more nothing less. I'm not trying to show up anyone as I have zero friends who have systems. My grown kids could care less, thinks my speakers are enormous (they are) and fit no decor they care to be around. That's fine too, my system is not built for them. It is for my own pleasure and interpretation how the sound has evolved over many varied components have come and gone. It's a hobby that like any other you can throw money at until the well is dry. Photography, motorcycles, boats, wood working, I consider them no different as to how much $$$ will satisfy your quest.

• Like 3

I don't think we has to worry about audiophiles around here!!! LOL!! whining about this amp is better than that!! LOL Crank it up on your monster klipsch and drown them out!! LOL once you got the power, and the massive klipsch sound, evetything else is pure BS. LOL!!! Whine: my cord is better then yours!! NOT! 

Crank it up!!!

• Like 2

Interesting article.  Thing is some people think being an audiophile means your somehow anti-music.

Nice article. Me I'm a music lover and an audiophile and I do not consider them to be opposites.

Here's what I said on a recent similar thread authored by Maynard:

"I'm not ashamed to be an audiophile. I have no reluctance to tell someone that's what I am. Indeed, I take pride in it. To me it just means someone who is searching a particular stratum of one of life's many joys. And truth be told aren't we all searching for something in one fashion or another. ("yeah my cars keys" is not an allowable response)"

And, of course, I think it to be truly silly that you have to spend bunches of green to pursue ones love of music or a truly capable sound reproduction system. (although it wouldn't hurt). :D

"but, on paper it fits!"

if retirement is a "rut," count me in zippy!

"but, on paper it fits!"

nevermind, i'll let it die.

Edited by angusruler

I prefer Audio Enthusiast.... But there is a reson fot it...

5. The Skin Orgasm
2015-08-17-1439852159-2424268-gettyimage
(Photo by: Getty Images)

What it is: All you need are some tunes. You may have already experienced a skin orgasm while listening to a favorite song or other powerful piece of music. You probably just brushed it off as "chills" or "goose bumps." The real name for these feelings? "Frissons," which are "a musically induced effect associated with a pleasant tingling feeling," according to a study published in the journal Frontiers in Psychology. Researchers believe the sensation is brought about by unexpected changes in the music, like sudden key changes or quick jumps from soft to loud--anything that forces the mind to abruptly switch gears.

How to get more: The only music linked with this phenomenon--at least thus far--is classical, where crescendos and chord changes abound. But the study authors say people are much more likely to have physical reactions to music that's familiar to them. Our personal pick: Sara Bareilles's hit "Gravity." The moment her voice breaks away from the background music around 2:50 is truly skin-tillating.

Gotta love the internet

• Like 4

That article may have been the worst waste of time since...I am struggling here.  No adequate image comes to mind.

Complete drivel to fill some space.  Lots of that in $tereophile, which I continue to subscribe to only because it's dirt cheap when I refuse to renew until we're at 10 bucks or so and there is on occasion something useful in it.  Not often, but even a blind squirrel finds a nut now and again.

Dave

• Like 2