Does anyone like audiophiles?

tube fanatic

most of the "audiophiles" on this site are very helpful and courteous. what I consider audiophiles anyway.

the others, very few, remind me of construction engineers and architects who never set foot on a construction site.

"but, on paper it fits!"

Most of us are considered non-audiophiles because we like horns - Klipsch in particular. Among audiophiles, we are kinda like the step-children. 

• Like 4

I'm inclined to think what PWK himself would probably think: who cares?

I'm not going to try and please other people with my interests and hobbies - that totally strips the individuality out of a person. Even among other audiophiles, I'm sure everyone else's "isn't good enough" - I've heard that dozens of times on the very Facebook pages referenced. But again I ask, why should I care?

I get friendly prods over my decision to not upgrade my RF-3 II's. But people also understand why I refuse. To each their own, and everyone has a reason - and "just cause" does happen to be valid in this case.

• Like 4

Like most hobbies there is a vocal minority that take things to extremes and give everyone a bad name. There are stereo snobs, coffee snobs, scotch, cigars, cars, planes etc snobs out there. They always have perceived improvements that simple people like me cant hear or taste or feel....That is why there are $1000 audio cables or Kopi Luwak coffee etc. I am not into hi-fi, I consider myself a mid-fi guy. Like coffee, scotch and other items, when it comes to audio: the very top end stuff is wasted on me, but I know the bad stuff right away. If it makes me happy.... I'm going to drink my Quick Trip coffee listening to my Belle's (with cheap cables) and be happy as a clam.

Cradledorf: GFY = Good For You???

Edited by MookieStl
  • Like 4

IMHO most people have never heard a good system.

Those that have either purchased one, or wish they had.

My daughter, now 16, has remarked on several occasions that the sound systems at her friends house $$$-$$$$, sounded flat and terrible. I guess they put the money into the interest payments.

Several friends that have come over to sample my system before making their next purchase, almost dry humped the speakers and or TV on some of the sweeter female vocals.

As to why some are critical of our hobby, I say "let them eat clock radios".

• Like 5

I prefer Audio Enthusiast.... But there is a reson fot it...

5. The Skin Orgasm

2015-08-17-1439852159-2424268-gettyimage

(Photo by: Getty Images)

What it is: All you need are some tunes. You may have already experienced a skin orgasm while listening to a favorite song or other powerful piece of music. You probably just brushed it off as "chills" or "goose bumps." The real name for these feelings? "Frissons," which are "a musically induced effect associated with a pleasant tingling feeling," according to a study published in the journal Frontiers in Psychology. Researchers believe the sensation is brought about by unexpected changes in the music, like sudden key changes or quick jumps from soft to loud--anything that forces the mind to abruptly switch gears.

How to get more: The only music linked with this phenomenon--at least thus far--is classical, where crescendos and chord changes abound. But the study authors say people are much more likely to have physical reactions to music that's familiar to them. Our personal pick: Sara Bareilles's hit "Gravity." The moment her voice breaks away from the background music around 2:50 is truly skin-tillating.

Gotta love the internet

Cool post.

But!

Of course there is a but. After all we all have one.

Now she didn't do it for me, but if you can listen to this all the way through without your skin getting up to march in unison until its in the throes of an orgasmic moment, then I my official moniker will become"kinda likes hi-fi".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rd8VktT8xY

I prefer Audio Enthusiast.... But there is a reson fot it...

5. The Skin Orgasm

2015-08-17-1439852159-2424268-gettyimage

(Photo by: Getty Images)

What it is: All you need are some tunes. You may have already experienced a skin orgasm while listening to a favorite song or other powerful piece of music. You probably just brushed it off as "chills" or "goose bumps." The real name for these feelings? "Frissons," which are "a musically induced effect associated with a pleasant tingling feeling," according to a study published in the journal Frontiers in Psychology. Researchers believe the sensation is brought about by unexpected changes in the music, like sudden key changes or quick jumps from soft to loud--anything that forces the mind to abruptly switch gears.

How to get more: The only music linked with this phenomenon--at least thus far--is classical, where crescendos and chord changes abound. But the study authors say people are much more likely to have physical reactions to music that's familiar to them. Our personal pick: Sara Bareilles's hit "Gravity." The moment her voice breaks away from the background music around 2:50 is truly skin-tillating.

Gotta love the internet

Cool post.

But!

Of course there is a but. After all we all have one.

Now she didn't do it for me, but if you can listen to this all the way through without your skin getting up to march in unison until its in the throes of an orgasmic moment, then I my official moniker will become"kinda likes hi-fi".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rd8VktT8xY

Wow!!!!!!!!! What a Beautiful Woman and her Voice!!!!! I love going to intimate shows like that....Really makes me forget about LIFE

That article may have been the worst waste of time since...I am struggling here. No adequate image comes to mind.

Complete drivel to fill some space. Lots of that in $tereophile, which I continue to subscribe to only because it's dirt cheap when I refuse to renew until we're at 10 bucks or so and there is on occasion something useful in it. Not often, but even a blind squirrel finds a nut now and again.

Dave

Haha, I agree.

Conflict is what sells, not facts. I heard someone referring to the news media that way, bit I think it applies here too.

Edited by DrWho

IMHO most people have never heard a good system.

Those that have either purchased one, or wish they had.

My daughter, now 16, has remarked on several occasions that the sound systems at her friends house $$$-$$$$, sounded flat and terrible. I guess they put the money into the interest payments.

Several friends that have come over to sample my system before making their next purchase, almost dry humped the speakers and or TV on some of the sweeter female vocals.

As to why some are critical of our hobby, I say "let them eat clock radios".

I'm on my way over to Bubo's house to dry hump his speakers :o

• Like 2

I agree. Even though I am perfectly happy with my system, everytime I see something else, I get the 'bug'.  

Every time I fire up my Klipschorns I just think "Life is good..."

The only thing that might give me the "bug" would be having the Berlin Philharmonic in my listening room.  But besides the fact they wouldn't fit having that many Germans around would play hell with my beer supply.

Dave

• Like 1

Over the years a few have asked me...Are you an "Audiophile"????

I said a Audio....what....????

I just like to jam out with my shitt...

MKP :-)

Now your talking!!! Krank it up and pi's off the puny audio file group!! Lol blow their tubes out the sockets!!! Lol!! Kaboom!Bang!boom! Owwwwwww my ears is bleeding!!! Lol