Pioneer elite SC-87

sasqwatch

Ive NEVER heard mine run...
Being able to hear the one in my unit is very likely due to where I have my receiver physically placed, more than any other factor. That, and possibly because we keep our A/C at 81F. :ph34r:

I gather most folks wouldn't stick their unit at ear level, out in the open, in a fairly reflective corner.  I do....for now, until I get a nice enclosed rack for all the gear.

Ive NEVER heard mine run...

Being able to hear the one in my unit is very likely due to where I have my receiver physically placed, more than any other factor. That, and possibly because we keep our A/C at 81F. :ph34r:

I gather most folks wouldn't stick their unit at ear level, out in the open, in a fairly reflective corner.  I do....for now, until I get a nice enclosed rack for all the gear.

My sc only drives the center channel... probably a major factor.

I had a Pioneer Elite SC-65 and hated it.

It's not very user friendly, complicated to setup and make changes. The FM radio tuner sucked. The mother board failed after less than 12 months. And quite frankly, even though I now have all digital throughput on my main system (see below) I really didn't care for the sound quality of the D3 amplification.

I have a NAD C390DD direct digital amp in my main system and the SC-65 didn't hold a candle to it (along with Luxman triodes, Wright SET - just sold, Audio Research, McIntosh, etc). Sonically the SC-65 just didn't cut it for me. The Onkyo TX-NR838 I finally settled on has much superior sound quality, much more musical.

And worse yet for a $2000 current model AVR, the SC-87 isn't HDCP 2.2 compliant. So if you're going to go the 4K route (that is the near future for all of us like it or not) you won't get a picture from your cable box, netflix, UHD BluRay, etc.

EDIT: And the MCACC room "correction" sucked. It wouldn't even recognize the Chorus I ~ said it was connected wrong ~ LMAO.

Edited by artto

I have an SC-85 sitting in the box. I have 2 weeks to return it and I just might. The more I read, the more I think I might need the new HDMI 2.0 as I will be buying a 4K TV within the year.

Agree.  If you are putting out that much money for an AVR, I would future proof as much as possible.

It's close to being as bad as buying a computer in the 2000's, the definition of an obsolete computer is the one you just bought.

The SC-87 is NOT HDCP 2.2 compliant. You'll be outta luck with 4K in the near future as it won't pass the copy protected signal