Crossover upgrade AP12-500 to ES500

justinsweber

I  was initially not a believer. A customer decided to take the leap ahead of me and asked me to aid in the install. I heard his top hat on a bass bin I had just completed... it was pretty stunning even at 1AM. 

A call to ALK and 6weeks later I had them in my arms... hards would be to small. These are mammoth, ~20lbs each.

I can't say I did an apples to apples comparison... I added thread certs to my cabs to secure the back panel. 

That said, the difference was incredible... not like oh, NOS tube but like crap amp to the best amp you've ever heard... like box speakers to headphones. Separation, imaging bass depth and control... all improved. 

I get no discount from ALK... just really believe this was a great upgrade.... 

Parts used... Cornwall cab (6.3cu ft) Fastlane audio Eliptrac 400 and Eliptrac tweeter, B7C DE750 (highly recommend), Eminence 15C and secret herbs and spices. I have a similar cornscala  as a 2 way with same driver compliment and ALK AP12-500... the ES is a night and day improvement. 

gallery_36992_206_76526.jpg

gallery_36992_206_105331.jpg

gallery_36992_206_109091.jpg

gallery_36992_206_12707.jpg

gallery_36992_206_8062.jpg

• Like 1

I'm that customer Justin mentioned, and can definitely concur. We couldn't really crank the sound up in his garage at that hour (1am when the install was complete - concrete floors and open double doors would have provided a concert for a lot of sleeping neighbors) - but they did sound great even at modest volume. After living with them a while now I'm really pleased. More separation and really sharpens and punches the bass.

Yes, the ESNs really let you pump some power in too..........and just keep sounding better.  I have used them for years and swear by them.....as well as other ALK networks.

Here's a pic of ALK ES-500s that AL designed for me long ago and that I built and evolved over the years, but these are for dual K33 (or dual Crites) woofer systems like DBB (double cornwall bass bins), and MWM cabinets.  I am using them on a pair of DBBs right now.  Over time I upgraded the mids to all matched pair Auricaps.  I'll do the ES-5800s sometime.  These are Justin's old smacked up ES-5800s. Measure good, still sound good.

post-10431-0-31060000-1440777556_thumb.j