MCM 1900 4way (Control&Dialing in)

minermark

Ok my master wizards of Pro Audio, their are more than a few of you set up with these critters.

MCM 1900 "Grands" 4way stack(s)

Other than using Klipsch little black box full of old yellow Caps (Network/crossover box),

Im thinking of controling each driver in the stack through something like this Carvin unit.

Any thoughts as to what might be better? or will this unit do the job?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CARVIN-XD360-3X6-LOUDSPEAKER-MANAGEMENT-SYSTEM-NEW-/151793517912?hash=item2357994558

• Like 1

I use this....but only 3-way outputs.  http://www.ebay.com/itm/dbx-DRIVERACK-PA2-DriveRack-PA2-Loudspeaker-Management-System-/331543323613?hash=item4d3185a3dd

Plugs into your network and you can control from anywhere in your house/business using tablet, laptop, or PC.

I think the One you posted does not use a network, but only usb directly into a PC.

You end up too close to your speakers while adjusting.

Need network imo.

You'd still need a passive crossover for something?

Or another solution for your Bass section and use the 3-way for you top stuff...?

I really love mine. Can set delays, and auto-eq feature to help get you started....

I use condenser mic and run around my listening area to many zones as the software prompts me to....then it does it's algorithms and produces a suggested eq balance for me.

You can then tweek it from there.

??

Save many settings to match your source or music tracks...Would be lost without something like this I think?

Amps get only what they need to use. No post-amp filtering needed.

Edited by Scotty H
  • Like 2

I use this....but only 3-way outputs.  http://www.ebay.com/itm/dbx-DRIVERACK-PA2-DriveRack-PA2-Loudspeaker-Management-System-/331543323613?hash=item4d3185a3dd

Plugs into your network and you can control from anywhere in your house/business using tablet, laptop, or PC.

I think the One you posted does not use a network, but only usb directly into a PC.

You end up too close to your speakers while adjusting.

Need network imo.

You'd still need a passive crossover for something?

Or another solution for your Bass section and use the 3-way for you top stuff...?

I really love mine. Can set delays, and auto-eq feature to help get you started....

I use condenser mic and run around my listening area to many zones as the software prompts me to....then it does it's algorithms and produces a suggested eq balance for me.

You can then tweek it from there.

??

Save many settings to match your source or music tracks...Would be lost without something like this I think?

Amps get only what they need to use. No post-amp filtering needed.

These Stack pairs are beaters, will refinish/repair/rewire each piece as it comes to the Cave.

I was asking questions on ideas (and you have a good one) so i can get a jump on the easy part, componets/cables.

• Like 1

As stated, you could do the MWM doubles by themselves and use either units 3-way stereo capabilities for the Top End.

Personally, Crown XTI series amps are cheap, sound good, and already have these capabilities built in and I would just run a rack full of 4 of them and be done with it. Roy Delgado way be able to help you with the proper time alignment.

If you are just looking to get away cheaply, Bob Crites has built brand new passive cross overs for the MCM 100 4 ways and you can get away using a single big amp as Kevin Harmon had Bob Crites build him a pair of these cross overs for his stacks.

If you are going to use these for outside and want huge output, stay with the 4 way design. If you plan on using these inside your house for music, I would suggest storing the three pairs of medium and high frequency boxes and just putting a K-69 / K-402 combo on top of your MWM doubles, it will sound a lot better, better than Jubilees.

I used to own 5 MWM double bins and 4 MWM single bins plus a lot of other MCM pieces.

Do you have the great big Gause drivers with your K-260 horns (early setup) or the K-4 splitter with four K-55 drivers. Also, do you have the JUNK 5 Piezo MTM tweeter arrays or the much preferred MMTM Tweeter arrays?

Roger

I run multiple amps....I want them to receive only what each needs to reproduce for that particular speaker.

I try to avoid passive crossovers after the amp. Waste of power IMO.

I divide, adjust, and filter the signals/channels with my DBX box before the amps.

1000 other ways to look at it?

Edited by Scotty H
  • Like 1

If you plan on using these inside your house for music, I would suggest storing the three pairs of medium and high frequency boxes and just putting a K-69 / K-402 combo on top of your MWM doubles, it will sound a lot better, better than Jubilees.

The way I word it is, they will crush the Jubilee.

:unsure:

• Like 4

I run multiple amps....I want them to receive only what each needs to reproduce for that particular speaker.

I try to avoid passive crossovers after the amp. Waste of power IMO.

I divide, adjust, and filter the signals/channels with my DBX box before the amps.

1000 other ways to look at it?

This IS EXACTLY what i wish to do.

• Like 1

If you plan on using these inside your house for music, I would suggest storing the three pairs of medium and high frequency boxes and just putting a K-69 / K-402 combo on top of your MWM doubles, it will sound a lot better, better than Jubilees.

K-69 / K-402 combo ? got a Pic of these ?

It will give me something to think about.

• Like 1

The K-402 is the Horn Lens, it is as big as a LaScala, and the K-69 is the driver, of the Home version of the Jubilee

http://images.klipsch.com/KPT-Jubilee_535_-_Angled_635278177349100000_medium.jpg

Roger

Think about this baby!  The most effortless bass I've ever heard.

and cleannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

post-12967-0-38420000-1440796074_thumb.j

• Like 7

Why the obsession with 2-way?

It is a compromise IMO.

3-way or even better....4-way baby!!

Managed with good amps and technology that is available today.....ppftfffft  state of the art stuff!

Why not take advantage of it?

Readup on the 402, dam fine, however looking at finding any at reasonable cost is not happening aat this time.

Agree w/scotty on shooting for total fourway control, i been reading up on the available equip as well as the DBX line of equipment.

Iv a lot of research to do but you guys are steering me in the direction i ask, way cool, i knew i could count on my forum experts to give me options and save headachs.

• Like 4

I used to think that 3 was better than 2 and therefore 4 was better than 3 and 43 way was better than 42.

I had Khorns in my room.  I discovered that there was a spot, distinctly 30 feet away (I measured) where the Khorns sounded like a single voice.  The three drivers melted into a single bubble of sound.

Later, I swapped them out for the Jubilee's and soon went to this 30' spot to hear how much better the Jubilee sounded 30' away....  and to my dismay, they sounded the same.

Perplexed, I asked around and talked about it.

Long story short, what was happening is the Jubilee with TWO drivers became that single bubble of sound about 10 feet away from the speaker instead of needing 30 feet.  So I was able to enjoy that "one voice" sound INSIDE the room instead of being 30 feet away.

Losing that crossover point was a significant improvement in their coherency.

For home use, you don't need the 3-way.  I specifically talked to Roy once while I was having dinner with him.  PWK designed the Jubilee to be very specifically, a 2-way speaker to lose that crossover point.  The reason Klipsch makes a 3-way version is for raw output in a cinema application.

All I can say is "trust me", you don't need that output for residential use.  The 2-way alone will drive you out of the room, especially with some of the muscle that you own.

While at Hope, Roy shared several setups.  Among them were the K402 atop the Jubilee, MWM, LaScala and two bass bins, I think the 415 and 215?  (picture attached below)

In all cases, the 402 worked like a charm.

In fairness, there were some folks that preferred the 3-way items that we listened to.

I just keep going back to my 3-way Khorns and the distance it took for their sound to gel verses what I'm getting with the 2-way.  It's not even close.

post-12967-0-74420000-1440797799_thumb.j

• Like 2

It is a compromise IMO.

Managed with good amps and technology that is available today.....ppftfffft  state of the art stuff!

One nice thing with what you have is, you can reconfigure it with minimal effort and decide for yourself!!

Presuming you have the K69 tweeter driver and 1133 midrange.

Remove the midrange driver and move the tweeter driver down to the K402.

I or many people, can get you the parameters that you would need but, they are designed for the EV Dx38 so I have no idea how they would blend in with a different active.

Read the attached (thanks to Mark1101)

edited to attach the file I forgot to attach!

TwoProcessors.pdf

Edited by Coytee
  • Like 1

Well i have this on my mind also, i bought two complete systems, when i start refinishing/rebuild/rewire to "As New",  id like to do all the pieces in the system at the same time, so at least they will be a completed pair.

My reason(s) of inquiry is, to get a jump on the easy stuff, like ordering/buying.

Keep them ideas coming guys.

• Like 1

It is a compromise IMO.

Scotty,

You are commenting on YOUR belief, and your BELIEF system is WRONG!!

People commenting here are not doing so on a belief, but experience first hand instead.

I used to own 5 MWM double bins and 4 MWM single bins plus a lot of individual MCM 1900 pieces, at the same time. In addition, I did and still do own 7 TSCMs which is the pro version of the Klipschorn. In addition, I did, and still do own Klipsch KP-600 stacks which are a 5 way design.

I have heard the MCM 1900 4 ways, the jubilees, and most any other large Klipsch speaker you could come up with in person.

In addition, I would inform you that Paul Wilbur Klipsch and Roy Delgado originally designed the Jubilee ie: a 2 way design to replace the Klipschorn, and I believe they have a little more street cred in speaker design.

If you want LOUD output for outside that sounds like a Klipschorn, then by all means the MCM-1900 4 way will work. If you want even better sound inside your house, the K-402 / K-69 setup on top of the MWM sounds better.

That is my belief from my experience, NOT my opinion.

Roger

• Like 2

agree to disagree?  :)

Glad you enjoy your system! Rock on and be happy!

I personally find more control over the sound with modern technology and 3 or 4 way with multiple amps....?

It's fun! You may like a more minimalistic approach for whatever reason?

I do enjoy my stereo like I am at a live concert......of which none of them use 2-way that I have ever see.

??

You can pretend you are getting that same live concert sound with a 2 way if you want?

Talking'bout colors and smells and feelings and what other weird adjectives you use to describe your sound? :P

Bogus 4th Dimensional, off-axis pattern shifting modulations and what not? Speakers shooting Glowing rainbows that converge right in your brain out of a 2-way.....lol

3 and 4-way eminate pure evil only and just plain'ole stink up the room with darkness and despair no matter what you are listening to. I know, right!?

BTW....I use multiple subs.....same as live concerts as well! Now we have even more speakers! LOL

Never seen a live concert with 2-way that kicked-455.....Maybe it's out there? I've just never heard of One?

Name me One decent band that uses this set-up.......yeah.....because there are none.

They spend extra for a better sound. That's why.

I guess I did Once see a Hobo in New York Subway with a 2-way PA system with a harmonica and a guitar.

He was pretty cool, I'd admit.

Edited by Scotty H