MCM 1900 4way (Control&Dialing in)

minermark

My floor layout means when you walk down the stairs, you are immediately in direct line of sight of what was the left corner speaker.  (open floor plan into the room)  The right corner speaker was blocked by the wall on the side of the room.

So in a sense, it was a mono signal coming at you however, it wasn't a mono signal.

I don't know how to describe it other than it sounded like "one voice" (the Khorn) at 30 feet.

Mind you, I was using some of ALK's extreme slope crossovers and I'm guessing that had something to do with the distance.  I'm guessing that a more shallow slope would have come together closer in but more interference between each driver.

"one voice" is the only words that come to my feeble mind.  I don't know how to describe it other than that.

• Like 2

Scotty, you can configure to a 2-way, add your subs and crank it up.

I'll bet you a Coke (as in Coca-Cola) that it will have more than enough output for you 'while you are in the listening room with them'

(I say that because I sometimes crank the dickens out of them while I'm working somewhere else in the house)

They will play to thunderous levels as a 2-way.

Output is NOT an issue for residential use.

• Like 2

Never seen a live concert with 2-way that kicked-455.....Maybe it's out there? I've just never heard of One?

Name me One decent band that uses this set-up.......yeah.

Even Captain Obvious knows that when you go to a concert it's about maximizing output for the size of the venue.

If you took those specific arrays of concert speakers and packed ALL of them into your living room, do you think you would need those speakers to play at the output they do for the concert?

Not at all....you'd go deaf in 2 minutes.

Remember.....  when PWK designed the Jubilee, he designed it:

1.  To replace the Klipschorn

2.  For residential use

3.  To be a 2-way

The fact that it's good enough to be placed in their cinema lineup is a tribute to how good the design is but..... it's bloodline is a pedestrian residential speaker!

• Like 3

My listening room is 3500 sq/foot. :P I like it LOUD! VERY LOUD@#$@!

No such thing as a 2-way cinema speaker that is THX, or Dolby, or ?? approved for a reason.

You ever realize that?

Even the Jubilee had to be 3-way for Cinema use.

And you point was what again....?

Edited by Scotty H
  • Like 1

Ok, I'm in check....  but not check mated yet!

Ya know, nobody really minds (nor to be blunt, cares) how you prefer them right?

I say to give it a whirl to see what you think about the 2-way.

Given your space though, I'm guessing you are not 'stuck' working within 15 feet of them.  You might be wayyyyyyyyyyyy across the way so for all I know, the 3 ways might be the best.

Yours is not a "traditional residential" situation!!   :o

Sounds like you have a really cool setup.

• Like 1

agree to disagree?  :)

Glad you enjoy your system! Rock on and be happy!

I personally find more control over the sound with modern technology and 3 or 4 way with multiple amps....?

It's fun! You may like a more minimalistic approach for whatever reason?

I do enjoy my stereo like I am at a live concert......of which none of them use 2-way that I have ever see.

??

You can pretend you are getting that same live concert sound with a 2 way if you want?

Talking'bout colors and smells and feelings and what other weird adjectives you use to describe your sound? :P

Bogus 4th Dimensional, off-axis pattern shifting modulations and what not? Speakers shooting Glowing rainbows that converge right in your brain out of a 2-way.....lol

3 and 4-way eminate pure evil only and just plain'ole stink up the room with darkness and despair no matter what you are listening to. I know, right!?

BTW....I use multiple subs.....same as live concerts as well! Now we have even more speakers! LOL

Never seen a live concert with 2-way that kicked-455.....Maybe it's out there? I've just never heard of One?

Name me One decent band that uses this set-up.......yeah.....because there are none.

They spend extra for a better sound. That's why.

I guess I did Once see a Hobo in New York Subway with a 2-way PA system with a harmonica and a guitar.

He was pretty cool, I'd admit.

Scotty,

Agree to disagree... YES!

But then you try to bolster your opinion.

Concert speakers are for max SPL in general, NOT necessarily better sound.

Please familiarize yourself with KP-600 stacks, I own them and they are Klipsch 5 ways and set up for exactly how you mentioned.

Please also familiarize yourself with Klipsch TSCMs a Pro verion of the Klipschorn, a 3 way configuration, I own 7 of them for my house system.

Multiple subs? I run two Klipsch KPT-684s and two Velodyne HGS-18IIs for my in home system for a total of six 18 inch radiators in the house. I eventually hope to step up to multiple MAJOR horn loaded subs.

Now school me on your setup??

Roger

• Like 2

My listening room is 3500 sq/foot. :P I like it LOUD! VERY LOUD@#$@!

No such thing as a 2-way cinema speaker that is THX, or Dolby, or ?? approved for a reason.

You ever realize that?

Even the Jubilee had to be 3-way for Cinema use.

And you point was what again....?

AGAIN, for theatre use, max spl is the goal.

Please tell me that you are not so limited in knowledge as to realize that THX, Dolby, etc. are marketing hype and that you do know that they SELL the right to use their labels??? I also assume that you realize that there are some absolutely terrible sounding speakers that have paid and run those banners, but yet they still suck!

Again, what equipment do you have and what makes you think you know more than PWK???

\

I can run 128 dB at the listening position with subs off and you???

Roger

• Like 2

What happens in home use (and even more in a car) is "room gain".  The reflections from the walls, floor and ceiling augment the output of the sound system.

The Jubilee in home use has plenty of volume when properly driven.  In a theatre or concert application, room gain is much less noticeable, so the system has to put out a lot more volume, thus the need to go 3-way.

In a home situation, the 3-way system will still sound as good as it does in a concert situation.  To discern the difference between a 2-way Jubilee and a 3-way Jubilee in a home listening situation, only a good listening experience (or several) will show which system you may prefer.  It's something that has to be experienced, and then the listener will understand what's being stated on this topic.

There's no need for friction between the fans of the various models of the Jubilee speakers.  All of them sound good, and sometimes theoretical differences are hard to hear.

• Like 2

minermark,

I will state the obvious. To go 4 way active in stereo you're going to need a 2 in 8 out crossover(minimum) and a total of 8 channels of amplification. A hybrid active/passive setup could of course use less.

Yes, two in eight out and four amps, the fourth being very small wpc for the tweet, perhaps 20wpc or so.

Im Looking at some surplus electronic crossovers Pc controlled.

This one is a little pricey but can do anything, something to play with.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/McCauley-Sound-M408-4-In-8-Out-Loudspeaker-Controller-/321832896955?hash=item4aeebc49bb

• Like 1

I sent out a few PMs the last few days to get the experts thoughts on replacing all the original caps in the network box, but they seem to be too busy to want to make any money, so i guess ill recap myself.

Anyone has any Favorite Caps in mind let me know, will be ordering tuesday.

It's a good friday evening when all i can think about is parts for the next system....

• Like 2

• Klipsch Employees

Why the obsession with 2-way?

It is a compromise IMO.

3-way or even better....4-way baby!!

Managed with good amps and technology that is available today.....ppftfffft  state of the art stuff!

Why not take advantage of it?

I should have asked paul that......
  • Like 4

• Klipsch Employees

Pricey!!

What amps were you thinking?

Well that is just the elect crossover i have in mind, Amps ? have not thought too much about them yet, counting what im running currently, i have in stock:

2= QSC 1700

1= 70 wpc KT88 tuber

What are components of the mcm that you have?
  • Like 1

• Klipsch Employees

My listening room is 3500 sq/foot. :P I like it LOUD! VERY LOUD@#$@! No such thing as a 2-way cinema speaker that is THX, or Dolby, or ?? approved for a reason. You ever realize that? Even the Jubilee had to be 3-way for Cinema use. And you point was what again....?

AGAIN, for theatre use, max spl is the goal.Please tell me that you are not so limited in knowledge as to realize that THX, Dolby, etc. are marketing hype and that you do know that they SELL the right to use their labels??? I also assume that you realize that there are some absolutely terrible sounding speakers that have paid and run those banners, but yet they still suck!Again, what equipment do you have and what makes you think you know more than PWK???\I can run 128 dB at the listening position with subs off and you???Roger

Max spl and that they sound real good is the goal.....

• Like 5

Pricey!!

What amps were you thinking?

Well that is just the elect crossover i have in mind, Amps ? have not thought too much about them yet, counting what im running currently, i have in stock:

2= QSC 1700

1= 70 wpc KT88 tuber

What are components of the mcm that you have?

Roy,

He has the later 4 ways with the passive cross overs. He has the K-4 manifolds with 4 K-55 drivers. He has the preferred MMTM tweeter arrays. He has Double bins with handles only, and he has four stacks.

Roger

• Like 1

Roy,

He has the later 4 ways with the passive cross overs. He has the K-4 manifolds with 4 K-55 drivers. He has the preferred MMTM tweeter arrays. He has Double bins with handles only, and he has four stacks.

Roger

Correct, my current plan is to restore to specs i full pair, set up just the way Klipsch intended, and see what they sound like, then i will have a baseline and can start to play/replace/improve/tweek.

One of the Forum Masters has let me know the current Caps (Yellow Ones) will likely be ok, i have a Cap checker and will test as i open them up.

That could save a few bucks, not that i care, but i would really like to experience the full klipsch stack as intended, First.

• Like 7

Roy,

Roger

I wish to thank TCC for letting me know just exactly what i have, i really did not know, as of yet iv not pulled a side cover of anything,

• Like 2