Found some ElectroVoice speakers, what do I have?

tcarp

Hello, I just joined this forum as I recently uncovered some Electrovoice speakers and am really wondering at what I found.... To make a long story short, I recently moved into a long abandoned, but recently renovated farm house in Upstate NY.  On the property, sits a shed that has many items of interest. I moved in four months ago, but in trying to keep up with the property, daily life, etc. I just started digging into the shed. I always noticed large wooden items in the rear corner, but actually thought they were just dressers. Finally, since the weather cooled down a bit this week, I started digging some things out. I found these to be speakers, dusted them off to get some sort of marking, and set to the internet to get some info. I have one Patrician (very large, four feet plus and pretty heavy) and one Georgian that is also large.  Both speakers are worn in a heavy usage way, not like they were mistreated. Not sure that makes sense, but basically I believe that these wouldn't require to much work to get back to gleaming. The wood has some worn spots, but no gouges, dents, large scratching or missing pieces. Knobs are worn.  Cabinet itself is obviously very well made. Attached to the Patrician was a 2 way Harmon Kardon 430 receiver. Outside of a couple surface rust type spots, the unit is in very good condition. To be honest, I have no clue how to even test these units, but I know they are pretty hard to find and can really vary in cost/worth. Although a big music lover myself, I personally have no use for these and am trying to clear the barn out to store some other large items before winter.   I have posted in the garage sale section, but am really not certain what I should ask. Any information is really appreciated, I hope everyone has a great day! Thank you.post-61659-0-20340000-1440776882_thumb.jpost-61659-0-97700000-1440776925_thumb.j

Andrea87 recently went through a similar journey with a Patrician.  She had to identify what she had, then try to price it.

See if this link will help you.

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/154875-vintage-1951-electro-voice-patrician-iv-for-sale-bo/?hl=patrician

+++

Note:  As you read the Patrician thread, there will be some references to a poster who had all his posts deleted.  Because of that you will come across posts that don't make sense because people are responding to now-deleted posts.

Edited by wvu80

Hello, I just joined this forum as I recently uncovered some Electrovoice speakers and am really wondering at what I found

sounds like you have Electrovoice speakers.   :D  Not familiar with them; but, hope it's a great find--congratulations.

Edited by BigStewMan

Both the Patrician and the Georgian were stars of the late 1950's, early '60s Hi Fi Fairs.  I think they had some kind of a trade arrangement with Paul Klipsch then, because he used some of their drivers, and their enclosures were slightly similar to the Klipschorn.  One of the small EV speaker enclosures then -- the Aristocrat -- was even advertised in mail-away catalogs (BA, etc.) as "Klipsch designed."  At the 1959 Hi Fi Fair, the EVs, Klipschorn, and the JBL Paragon were the best sounding speakers there.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for the replies. I read the post linked above and came away with some great info. I visited a local vintage audio store but found much better info here! I am simply trying to sell the speakers, and was trying to gauge a good price as is. I'm told ebay is the best place to do so, but to be wary of some scamming.... I appreciate the info!