RC-7 verses RC-64

artto

I recently bought a pair of RF-7 ii. I've been using a RC-7 center, and RC-7 for rear surrounds (vertical with horns rotated 90 degrees).

I really like the RF-7 ii. Huge, but great for the HT. Now I'm wondering if I should change the center channel speaker to a RC-64. It's drivers are more similar to the RF-7 ii whereas the RC-7 is more like the original RF-7. The old "voicing" issue, you know.

Anyone have any experience with both RC-7 and RC-64?

Edited by artto

I recently bought a pair of RF-7 ii... I'm wondering if I should change the center channel speaker to a RC-64?

Yes

No. You should change it to another RF-7II

LOL. And then I'll have a big monolith in the center of the TV screen  :wacko:

Edited by artto

I am just the opposite, I have RF 7's and the RC 64 center.  Not a big deal for me with timber issues.  Let's swap center speakers for a week, lol.

You need an RC 64II with the 1.75 in. tweeter, the RC 64 has a 1.25 in tweeter and was made for the RF 63./83.

Edited by derrickdj1

I recently bought a pair of RF-7 ii... I'm wondering if I should change the center channel speaker to a RC-64?

Yes

No. You should change it to another RF-7II

LOL. And then I'll have a big monolith in the center of the TV screen  :wacko:

Ah. A TV. Turn it on its side.

• Moderators
I'd stick with your rf-7. I've never heard one but I know tons of people who have owned it and tried a 64ii and immediately switched back... Only place to go past rc-7 is another rf-7ii

Guess I'm the minority.  I have own the RC-64ii and have owned RC-7.  I've never felt the RC-64ii was inferior in any way from the RC-7.  Both are fantastic speakers and IMO, the RC-64ii sounds a bit more refined.

• Like 3

I'm really tempted to get a RC-64ii. If I wall mount the tv the RC64 can slip right under it bringing the center sound closer to the TV and more in horizontal alignment with the RF7. Then I can slide the components on top of the cabinets a little closer together. Plus I get storage space back in the center cabinet where the RC7 is currently located. I think I'd like the TV a little higher so it' going to get wall mounted anyway.

The other thing is the RC7 doesn't sound quite as articulate as the RF7 ii to my ears. Not sure if it's the speaker or just because it's lower and closer to the floor.

And of course, then, with the RC-64 ii everything (as far as the front mains are concerned) "match", cosmetically (and sound-wise).

I also want to get a Panamax or Furman voltage regulation/line conditioner. That might go in the center cabinet or on top with the other components.

post-8736-0-08960000-1440966924_thumb.jp

Edited by artto

I also want to get a Panamax or Furman voltage regulation/line conditioner. That might go in the center cabinet or on top with the other components.

SurgeX is better. :) I recently signed up as a dealer for them, really impressed by their products. The XR-115 and XR-315 looks real nice in a standalone installation outside of a rack.

With my original RF-7s, I did not care of how the RC-64II blended with them. Just felt that the speaker was missing something in the details compared to the towers. Vocals felt very laid back.

RF-7's are very bright to the point where a resistor mod is a very common and popular thing to do in order to tone it down. This is unnecessary with the RC-64ii and RF-7ii. Taking a 64ii and making it play with an unmodified RF-7 would probably do exactly what you just said it did. :)

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

With my original RF-7s, I did not care of how the RC-64II blended with them. Just felt that the speaker was missing something in the details compared to the towers. Vocals felt very laid back.

RF-7's are very bright to the point where a resistor mod is a very common and popular thing to do in order to tone it down. This is unnecessary with the RC-64ii and RF-7ii. Taking a 64ii and making it play with an unmodified RF-7 would probably do exactly what you just said it did. :)

That's kind of what I was wondering - Gorm - are you/were you using RF-7 or RF-7 ii? I have the ii. The RC-7 sounds somewhat muted/muffled, dialog not as clear and detailed as I think it should be, either with my new RF-7 ii or the Chorus One I was using. That's also why I was also thinking maybe it's too close to the floor/carpet. The RC-7 is also a little higher (if I put it right under the TV). I'm trying to keep as low of a profile as possible without moving outside the product line.

Edited by artto

SurgeX is better. :) I recently signed up as a dealer for them, really impressed by their products. The XR-115 and XR-315 looks real nice in a standalone installation outside of a rack.

I agree with you on that if it were only surge protection I were looking for. I'm not aware of any SurgeX models that also provide voltage regulation other than a UPS which is not something that should be used in this situation.

Both the Furman and Panamax units I'm considering are also provide voltage regulation. IMO the Furman is better for voltage reg but they get awfully expensive for the high current models.

Edited by artto

Maybe I'm in the minority too but I've had both centers in the same room and on the same equipment with my RF7II's. I helped a forum member acquire an RC-7 and got to play with it for a few days before he picked it up. The RC7 sounded great but it just didn't mesh well with the 7II's to my ears. During movies. scenes panning across the front were not as seamless as with the 64II. Might have been a timbre match issue...ymmv

• Moderators
im gonna go out on a limb and say that the rc-64ii will not be as detailed as the rc-7ii. i could be wrong as i have never heard the rc-7.

It's not a matter of detail, it's a matter of brightness.  The RF-7 / RC-7 is brighter than the RF-7ii / RC-64ii. 

To my ears...

RF-7 / RC-7 - Very detailed, very bright

RF-7 / RC-64ii - Very detailed, less bright but not laid back

RF-83 / RC-64 - Not quite as detailed, very laid back sounding but very smoothe sounding

I could easily see how a RF-7 with an RC-64ii might not make the best combo because they have two different tonal characteristics.

Just my 2cents (which might be all it's worth).  :P

I get what your saying with detail comment youth but what he is describing and muffled or muted makes me think either something is wrong with speaker or setup. Either way the term muted or muffled should never be associated with a speaker known to be "too bright" see what I'm saying.