Musical Sub vs HT Sub

A1UC

In my home theater sub I want to hear enough detail to determine if the explosion was from Composition C-4 or dynamite rather than just a loud bang.  B)

I know you're joking but.................

I had many different subs and watched tons of movies before I built my IB.  One of the first things I noticed was how realistic thunder sounded with the IB compared to my previous subs.  You could hear every step and change in the individual claps of thunder instead of just the loud boom.

I don't buy the "smaller subs react faster" train of thought either.  The reaction time has more to do with the strength of the motor than the size of the driver.

• Like 1

I run two Velodyne HGS-18 II subs that dig down to 15 Hz. I also run two Klipsch KPT-684s that have two 18 inch radiators each, that only dig down to 35 Hz. That being said, I am extremely interested in running some massive Horn subs.

Scrappy Doo and Carl have offered to help, I just need to get off my butt and get some first hand listening in!

Roger

• Like 1

I run two Velodyne HGS-18 II subs that dig down to 15 Hz. I also run two Klipsch KPT-684s that have two 18 inch radiators each, that only dig down to 35 Hz. That being said, I am extremely interested in running some massive Horn subs.

Scrappy Doo and Carl have offered to help, I just need to get off my butt and get some first hand listening in!

Roger

2 Velodyne HGS-18II!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Holy crap!!!

In my home theater sub I want to hear enough detail to determine if the explosion was from Composition C-4 or dynamite rather than just a loud bang.  B)

I know you're joking but.................

I had many different subs and watched tons of movies before I built my IB.  One of the first things I noticed was how realistic thunder sounded with the IB compared to my previous subs.  You could hear every step and change in the individual claps of thunder instead of just the loud boom.

I don't buy the "smaller subs react faster" train of thought either.  The reaction time has more to do with the strength of the motor than the size of the driver.

I believe you have outlined the point I was getting at in my joke since I'm not even sure how the sound effects person generates an explosion sound and lays in the sound track for an explosion.  I suspect in most instances when a car explodes in a movie or Clint Eastwood throws a stick of dynamite into the bar we are not listening to a recording of real C-4 or dynamite explosions.

I actually like your illustration better than mine and it seems that regardless of reproducing a track with realistic rolling thunder or perhaps the cannon blasts of Tchaikovsky 1812 Overture, sound quality seems more of a function of good engineering and choosing the right tool for the reproduction job desired.

I tend to agree that a high quality sub should be able to do both music and home theater.  However, since engineering is often done to a marketing price point and there is no free lunch, maybe a sub that people describe as "home theater" is designed for very deep extension and can be slightly off in integration where timing and lingering effects go unnoticed where the same sub is more revealing of its engineering shortcomings when it is not capable of proper integration and reproduction of the precise timing of bass notes or cannon blasts a piece of music? 

I suspect in most instances when a car explodes in a movie or Clint Eastwood throws a stick of dynamite into the bar we are not listening to a recording of real C-4 or dynamite explosions.

I've heard that the real thing would cause microphone diaphragm crashing, unless it was pretty far from the mic, and then it would have the sonic characteristics that go with being just that far away.  Sure enough, I saw some tragic TV news footage of a suspect who ran up to a camera person, put his gun to his head and killed himself on camera, fairly close up ... all we heard was a click or pop, not a bang.  I presume that was the sound of the diaphragm hitting the backplate, or possibly some electronics totally clipping?

On the original Mercury Lp of the 1812 has an additional track of Deems Taylor describing all of their attempts to record a real cannon (a museum piece at West Point, I think).  Most of their attempts were pretty pitiful, and did not sound like a cannon, but they finally got it.  Some wartime newsreel footage sounds O.K., but you could tell that the camera (and mic) were far away, with the camera on telephoto.

Edited by garyrc
  • Like 1

It is pretty much believed by many that a smaller driver (8", 10" & 12") can respond quicker to complicated bass notes than say a 15" or 18."  If you want to see if your sub can accurately reproduce complex bass notes without stumbling over itself and sound sloppy try the double kick drum passage on One by Metallica see if it do it accurately.

I hate to say it especially here but I stopped using the Klipsch 15's in my personal setup exactly because of this same exact passage. Strangely though, at least according to some people here, is that my 18's is what put them to shame, made the 15's sound very sloppy on this passage. I'm just not convinced it was due to the drivers alone.

Roger

bring it!!!
  • Like 1

Wow just got home and was surprised to see all the responses . From what I read it looks like a lost cause to even try and argue these replies, kind of like cables . I just know with my 2 ch setup I wouldn't use a sub and if I did it sure wouldn't be a 15 or 18 " Everyone likes a different sound and I guess I'm not on the same page as most glad its working for you guys enjoy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow just got home and was surprised to see all the responses . From what I read it looks like a lost cause to even try and argue these replies, kind of like cables . I just know with my 2 ch setup I wouldn't use a sub and if I did it sure wouldn't be a 15 or 18 " Everyone likes a different sound and I guess I'm not on the same page as most glad its working for you guys enjoy

LOL!  Firestarter!   :P

Seriously, I don't even know what you mean, "a lost cause" arguing with these replies.  Your opinion is always interesting, and to me arguing is not only tolerated, but encouraged!  B)

Of course I mean "argue" in the higher sense that we defend more than one side of an issue, an exchange of ideas.  It's how I learn the best sometimes.

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 3

LOL!  Firestarter!   :P

Seriously, I don't even know what you mean, "a lost cause" arguing with these replies.  Your opinion is always interesting, and to me arguing is not only tolerated, but encouraged!  B)

Of course I mean "argue" in the higher sense that we defend more than one side of an issue, an exchange of ideas.  It's how I learn the best sometimes.

And so they ate the King's minstrels...and there was much rejoicing! Hooray!!

If I was going to use a sub for music I would do a 10 or 12 but again thats me . I would also use a sealed sub

To this I would reply that I own a Velodyne HGS-10, Demo model in Clear Acrylic. I use it in my parents RF-7 system.

For me personally, for most musical listening, I prefer the four 18 inch drivers in my pair of Klipsch KPT-684 subs.

I do not listen to Techno, Rap, Hip-Hop, or other syntized Bass music much. If I do, the Velodynes obviously come into play, but I find that for classic to hard Rock, major reinforcement in Bass management down to 35 Hz is plenty. Sure, there are notes lower, even in Classic Rock, but I find that for me, I guess that with that kind of listening, I was never hearing those notes before anyhow, and I think that the minimal excursion in the Klipsch drivers sounds more natural to me in that frequency response.

Now, on the other hand, the Velodyne HGS-10 is no slouch. It still has an amp plate rated at 1,250 watts RMS and 3,000 watts peak wattage and I think they were $2,500 when new. But I still prefer the Klipsch in the type of listening to music I do, and for me, that little 10 inch does not even have enough output for my parents stereo in either music, or movies. It did in their old house, but it is filling a larger space in the new house.

I have also used some cheaper and smaller Klipsch subs.

I guess what I am really getting at though is that in my experience with some higher end subs in the same exact model except for a smaller driver, smaller driver equated to less total output and not necessarily much improvement in musicality and DEFINATELY not more enjoyment in movie effects!

SORRY but your mileage may very, this is just my opinion from my personal experience.

Roger

• Like 1

If I was going to use a sub for music I would do a 10 or 12 but again thats me . I would also use a sealed sub

From my personal experience, I would have to agree.

I have owned some highly regarded "musical" consumer subwoofers(Paradigm Servo 15's, Sunfire True Subwoofer Signature, Revel B15, SVS SB13 Plus, Klipsch RT-10d's, Klipsch RSW-10d) and the RSW-10d consistently has shown the most "musical" prowess in my setups.

Again, my experience.

Bill