Musical Sub vs HT Sub

A1UC

but my "little" Martin Logan Depth w/ (3) servo controlled sealed 8" woofers is fairly badass. You would like that one AU1C

Is that the musical one or the HT one? :P

don't you know by now you cant use a musical sub for HT  :P

Edited by A1UC

If you are not using a subwoofer for two channel you are missing at least an octave of bass during playback.  I only know of one pair of speakers that could truly reproduce 20Hz - 20Khz and the company and technology are no longer around.  (Louis Erath's LWE-I's with a clip-kitted amplifier) Try the Titanic soundtrack on your 2-channel set up as there is a track with some very nice low end.  Then take it to you HT and play it there you will easily notice the missing octave.

Unless you listen to musical content that is primarily above 50-60Hz range and higher I would say you don't need a subwoofer.  Otherwise it is a must.

If you are not using a subwoofer for two channel you are missing at least an octave of bass during playback.  I only know of one pair of speakers that could truly reproduce 20Hz - 20Khz and the company and technology are no longer around.  (Louis Erath's LWE-I's with a clip-kitted amplifier) Try the Titanic soundtrack on your 2-channel set up as there is a track with some very nice low end.  Then take it to you HT and play it there you will easily notice the missing octave.

Unless you listen to musical content that is primarily above 50-60Hz range and higher I would say you don't need a subwoofer.  Otherwise it is a must.

http://www.josephaudio.com/perspecs   these are the speakers I use for my 2 Ch and would never add a sub and destroy the sound , again to each their own 

but my "little" Martin Logan Depth w/ (3) servo controlled sealed 8" woofers is fairly badass. You would like that one AU1C

No seriously you'd like the Depth I think. I believe it has what you're looking for. If you ever come across one you should give it a try.

No seriously you'd like the Depth I think. I believe it has what you're looking for. If you ever come across one you should give it a try.

I agree it looke like a killer sub and if I did add a sub I for sure would give that one a try , but Im happy with my 2ch sound 

http://www.josephaudio.com/perspecs   these are the speakers I use for my 2 Ch and would never add a sub and destroy the sound , again to each their own

Those are admittedly for reproducing unamplified acoustic music. If that's what you listen to then I'm sure they'd do great. For some of us, two 5.5" woofers and a single tiny 2.75" port just isn't going to cut it. Obviously we are all talking about different types of music and listening levels here.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

Sorry don't do rap

Low B on a 5-string bass... 31 hz.

contrabassoon... 29 hz

Low A on a normal piano... 27 hz.

contra-trombone... 24 hz

7+ string bass guitar... 23 hz

boesendorfer grand piano... 21 hz

the aforementioned Moog Taurus bass pedal... big 20 hz boost

keyboard... 20 hz

pipe organ... 16 hz.

contra-clarinet... 16 hz

tuba... 16 hz using a flutter-tongue method

William Hill & Son Grand Organ in Sydney... 8 hz

Ironically... most rap is in the 40-60 hz range. Your speakers would do rap better than most of the stuff named above. :) I listen to rap every day including this morning on towers that have two 7" woofers, works fine.

• Like 1

I use RF-7ii's crossed over at 60 hz along with two 18's powered by a Crown 2502 boosted 6 db. Yes it's both music and movies. But really the only music I listen to on them is rock and Jack Johnson so I can get away with it. I like this setup for stuff like Tool. The only true acoustical'ish stuff I listen to is the phantom of the opera. My living room setup is some old Wharfedale towers with soft dome tweets. Nothing special. I'm hardly an audiophile, I just rock out on stuff.

• Like 1

I use RF-7ii's crossed over at 60 hz along with two 18's powered by a Crown 2502 boosted 6 db. Yes it's both music and movies. But really the only music I listen to on them is rock and Jack Johnson so I can get away with it. I like this setup for stuff like Tool. The only true acoustical'ish stuff I listen to is the phantom of the opera. My living room setup is some old Wharfedale towers with soft dome tweets. Nothing special. I'm hardly an audiophile, I just rock out on stuff.

Don't rock out too hard, you could throw out your neck.   :P

I listen to rap every day including this morning on towers that have two 7" woofers, works fine.

What speaker are you using for music listening? Or do you use the same speaker for HT also

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use RF-7ii's crossed over at 60 hz along with two 18's powered by a Crown 2502 boosted 6 db.

You better get your tape out and re measure... :)

Edited by Tasdom

As uber nice as those speakers are and I am certain they sound fantastic but @ 35Hz on the low end response +/- 2db you are still missing an octave of bass response. :-)  Which means everything on the chart you posted above will be inaudible to you.

Edited by Frzninvt

As uber nice as those speakers are and I am certain they sound fantastic but @ 35Hz on the low end response +/- 2db you are still missing an octave of bass response. :-)  Which means everything on the chart you posted above will be inaudible to you.

I'm sure they're nice as hell and flat as a pancake on most stuff at the natural volume level of an acoustical performance. Some of us just aren't into that, I'd rather just put headphones on and save over 5 digits in my bank acccount. I want my seats to shake and no 5" woofer is going to do that.

• Like 2

I listen to rap every day including this morning on towers that have two 7" woofers, works fine.

You better get your tape out and re measure... :)

My living room setup is some old Wharfedale towers with soft dome tweets. Nothing special.

http://insidehifi.blogspot.com/2012/05/wharfedale-modus-eight.html

Two 170mm woofers, equals 6.7". Frequency response only goes to 38 hz. Works fine on most rap, even in a 9,000 cubic foot room. I have an open architecture in my house so while I cook and eat I use these in the living room as background music, which is the same room as my kitchen and dining room. That's what I was talking about. If I'm doing any dedicated listening (I'll refrain from the use of the term "serious listening" due to the audiophiles here), I go in the theater room and fire up the RF-7ii's and the 18's.

And no, I don't have any delusions that this could rival an audiophile setup. That's hardly my desire.

Some people LOVE Heresy's and Lascalas for music with no sub and that's fine.  It's all a matter of preference and I'm certainly not going to try to convince someone otherwise.  My opinion however is that they're kidding themselves if they think they're hearing everything on every recording.  I would take exception to that.  I can not argue the fact that they enjoy what they're listening to though.  I can't say that adding a sub to their system would make them enjoy it more either.

• Like 1