Musical Sub vs HT Sub

A1UC

Some people LOVE Heresy's and Lascalas for music with no sub and that's fine.  It's all a matter of preference and I'm certainly not going to try to convince someone otherwise.  My opinion however is that they're kidding themselves if they think they're hearing everything on every recording.  I would take exception to that.  I can not argue the fact that they enjoy what they're listening to though.  I can't say that adding a sub to their system would make them enjoy it more either.

I am one of those that like my Heresy's and Heresy II's without a sub but when I did demo them with my Revel B15 and RSW-10d, I liked them even better. 

Now with that said, I loved the way my RB-75's sounded right out of the gate, but when I added my RSW-10d to them, they took on a completely new dimension.  Now they rival my RF-63's for musical balance, and that is one high benchmark.

Bill

Some people LOVE Heresy's and Lascalas for music with no sub and that's fine.  It's all a matter of preference and I'm certainly not going to try to convince someone otherwise.  My opinion however is that they're kidding themselves if they think they're hearing everything on every recording.  I would take exception to that.  I can not argue the fact that they enjoy what they're listening to though.  I can't say that adding a sub to their system would make them enjoy it more either.

I can't imagine not having a sub even if only for part time use. All it takes is one press of a power button and you can turn the thing off. :) Of course half my juvenile life was spent around subs and I'm never going to stop craving bass.

Sorry don't do rap

Low B on a 5-string bass... 31 hz. - contrabassoon... 29 hz - Low A on a normal piano... 27 hz. - contra-trombone... 24 hz

7+ string bass guitar... 23 hz - boesendorfer grand piano... 21 hz - the aforementioned Moog Taurus bass pedal... big 20 hz boost - keyboard... 20 hz - pipe organ... 16 hz. - contra-clarinet... 16 hz - tuba... 16 hz using a flutter-tongue method - William Hill & Son Grand Organ in Sydney... 8 hz

Ironically... most rap is in the 40-60 hz range. Your speakers would do rap better than most of the stuff named above. :) I listen to rap every day including this morning on towers that have two 7" woofers, works fine.

Good list.  It dovetails nicely with my favorite interactive frequency chart.

http://independentrecording.net/irn/resources/freqchart/main_display.htm

Edited by wvu80

It dovetails nicely with my favorite interactive frequency chart.

The chart shows chest thump in the 20 to 40 Hz range when actually it's actually higher.  I believe it's around 50-70Hz.

It's in that general area. Concert sound guys boost the 63 hz band on the eq to get this feeling. Most people think it's much lower but it's not, at least until you get to the 7 hz realm which is the resonant frequency of your internal organs. The French even tried to weaponize this.

• Like 1

Before I EQ'd my living room HT I had a HUGE peak at 53Hz.  Gunfights were unreal.  The final gunfight in Open Range was my demo disc for a long time till I flattened the room out.  It was way hot in that frequency but it was fun.  You could feel every shot.

• Like 2

until you get to the 7 hz realm which is the resonant frequency of your internal organs. The French even tried to weaponize this.

I heard that this was also considered by the Americans in the '50s or '60s.  They consulted with some audio company, I think JBL. 

No connection (I think), but later JBL ran an advertisement in which a Rock band sets up in the park, and leaves their stuff on while they go off for a little pre-concert break.  A griffin passes by, coughs into the microphone, and there is nothing left but a crater.

Edited by garyrc

With La Scalas and Belles and Hereseys in the HT I still like to grab the low end in both music and movies with my ML Depth i sub. Even with my 2 channel Khorn setups, I run them 2.1 for music. Even running Khorns with a Scott 299C I run them in a 2.1 configuration (with the sub off the center channel) to get all of the low end I can, especially with organ music.

I am simply addicted to thump.

Edited by Rhetor

I almost pulled the trigger on a ML Decent i and I am still kicking myself for not buying it. I love my Rythmik but I have heard the Decent i has similar output of a Seaton Subversive, Submersive just digs a little deeper. Pretty impressive claim from a VERY respected bass-head over on AVS.

I am hoping my new sub is both musical and good for HT;)

It dovetails nicely with my favorite interactive frequency chart.

The chart shows chest thump in the 20 to 40 Hz range when actually it's actually higher.  I believe it's around 50-70Hz.

I've seen many articles which agree with the range you posted.  I think you raise a good point as well.

In this thread we are hung up on the terms "musical" and home theater," but how would this discussion change if we simply eliminated those terms and focused on the effects of particular frequency ranges?

There is no question subs are tuned to specific frequencies, with the higher frequency being 35-70 because that is where the owner wants the most oomph, usually chest thump and bass drum kick.  I know that's how I wanted my recent 15" DIY sub tuned.

But there is no question others want subs with considerable response in the sub-sonic range, as low as 10-20 Hz.

Can we all agree that HT tends to have more content nearer to the 10-30 Hz range, with the tuning goal for music being 35 and above?

I disagree with the whole "can we all agree" concept.

Can we at least agree, that I'm right and everybody else is wrong?  My wife tells me I'm always right.  :D

Just before she storms out of the room and slams the door behind her.  :unsure: