Musical Sub vs HT Sub

A1UC

Everything is a compromise I guess. If you have the room and wattage for multiple, sealed 18" subs I can't really imagine anything significantly better than that.

Really, there are just way too many variables to say anything definitive about anything. For one thing, two people would have to agree on what "good" is to begin with and with certain individuals that may very well be impossible on its own. Fortunately this is just a hobby for most and experimentation is part of the fun. The key is finding what works best for your ears, in your room, which will almost certainly be different from the next guys requirements / tastes.

• Like 2

Everything is a compromise I guess. If you have the room and wattage for multiple, sealed 18" subs I can't really imagine anything significantly better than that.

Really, there are just way too many variables to say anything definitive about anything. For one thing, two people would have to agree on what "good" is to begin with and with certain individuals that may very well be impossible on its own. Fortunately this is just a hobby for most and experimentation is part of the fun. The key is finding what works best for your ears, in your room, which will almost certainly be different from the next guys requirements / tastes.

I preach nearly everything you stated in this response.  

For one thing, two people would have to agree on what "good" is

For music that's pretty easy. No ringing, no resonances, no port noise, no inherent excessive peaks in the frequency response, no falling off a cliff below 35 hz, no dynamic peaks getting rounded off from not having enough amp overhead, no excessive distortion at common listening volumes, no overly slow sounding response for whatever reason. Do this and you probably have a good sounding sub for music.

Ideally the only thing that changes for movies is that it needs to go lower and louder than what is common on music. It's just that you can get away with some things on a movie specific setup that wouldn't fly on music. The port ringing for example, movie LFE's might rarely produce port noise while some music might annoy the crap out of you. Also slow sounding response or peaks getting rounded over... LFE's might not matter but a growly bass guitar and double kick drums might sound sloppy.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters
  • Like 1