duracrest #7 on Forte anyone ?

ducati2

i have a pair of fortes that need new cloth and I have always liked the more coarse mesh stuff like the duracrest #7.    I am about to order some, but worried if it would stretch around the thick grill board with that radius.   Actually, the problem would be at the corners if the stuff does not stretch.    Has anyone done this?  

also, any opinions about keeping it pure oem?  i like what I like, but don't want to do something taboo. 

i have a pair of fortes that need new cloth and I have always liked the more coarse mesh stuff like the duracrest #7.    I am about to order some, but worried if it would stretch around the thick grill board with that radius.   Actually, the problem would be at the corners if the stuff does not stretch.    Has anyone done this?  

also, any opinions about keeping it pure oem?  i like what I like, but don't want to do something taboo. 

How good are you with a stapler?

FWIW: I worked with some cloth, probably the Duracrest on a wood frame.  I put down a continuous bead of hot glue.  The put the fabric in place.  And went over the fabric with an iron so the hot glue melted into the fabric.

WMcD

• 2 months later...

Update... I DID IT and it looks beautiful! Durarest is a ***** to work around the corners, but with the help of about 25 six inch spring clips, Arleen's tacky glue and a little bit of super glue on the corners, it went on almost perfect. 'Almost' because it was just a little loose and I was bummed out, BUT THEN I remembered that most plastics shrink with heat. I carefully used a heat gun around the edges and WOW. PERFECT. Huge upgrade from OEM look.

post-61680-0-06620000-1447211993_thumb.j

Nice veneer! What is that wood?

Brazillian Rosewood. My cloth is identical to what you used, and I just used the spray glue on mine. Just sprayed the cover frame and took the cloth and pushed it on them with no issues.

I'm still contemplating looking for another set of covers to redo in the same material you did to have something to switch out occasionally.

Do the grills still fit in all the way??

G.E.M.

I don't know if you mean the OP or me, but assume you meant him. I will say on mine that they also still fit perfectly. The 2 materials are almost identical, so I'm assuming his also fit back in the same as the originals as the originals are more of a rigid material than these 2 are. I was seriously contemplating the same fabric as the OP, but wanted something different no one else had that I've seen.

G.E.M.

I am the OP and yes the grills fit perfectly after installing the duracrest.   As with any project, the second time would be easier..  I think I would try Jim's spray glue next time.   What brand spray glue Jim?   3m headliner stuff?    Can you move it after contact if you miss the mark??

Edited by ducati2

G.E.M.

I am the OP and yes the grills fit perfectly after installing the duracrest.   As with any project, the second time would be easier..  I think I would try Jim's spray glue next time.   What brand spray glue Jim?   3m headliner stuff?    Can you move it after contact if you miss the mark??

Keyston Brothers General Purpose Adhesive.

Yes you can work it for a little if it's not correct the 1st time. I sprayed it on the fabric the 1st time (made the mistake), then after that, sprayed it on the frame, let it sit for 1 minute, then applied the fabric, no issues, and was able to fine tune placement when needed. The 3M I assume would be similar.

The glue I have will bubble up a minute, then mellow out. It has nice grab when the material is applied to it,so it won't slip either.

• 2 years later...
On 11/10/2015 at 9:20 PM, ducati2 said:

Update... I DID IT and it looks beautiful! Durarest is a ***** to work around the corners, but with the help of about 25 six inch spring clips, Arleen's tacky glue and a little bit of super glue on the corners, it went on almost perfect. 'Almost' because it was just a little loose and I was bummed out, BUT THEN I remembered that most plastics shrink with heat. I carefully used a heat gun around the edges and WOW. PERFECT. Huge upgrade from OEM look.

post-61680-0-06620000-1447211993_thumb.j

@ducati2  hi, I know the original post is pretty old, but I have a pair of forte 1s and I am going to buy some fabric from bob crites, I believe it’s number 17. Whichever one they recommend now because the old stuff is discontinued. Anyways, I can tell from the pic your grills look great, but do you have any pointers or a step by step if I were to try doing it myself? I appreciate it!!