Use Older Pioneer Receiver as Separate Amp?

yojoe74

In the middle of a complete upgrade, aiming for a 5.1.4 Atmos-enabled system, 

(planning on eliminating my Surround-Backs due to the room not really being suitable).

So my future receiver upgrade will be an Atmos/DTS-X/HDCP 2.2 model,

but I'm finding huge price gaps between native 7-channel vs 9-channel amps.

Therefore, I'm considering a 7-channel amp with 9-channel processing, 

using pre-outs to a separate 2-channel amp (probably for my Atmos Rear Heights).

However, I've never used this set-up before, and wondering if its as simple as it seems...

I have a mid-90s Pioneer VSX-505s receiver....my first receiver ever.

Currently using to power my chair shakers (but honestly could care less about them).

My question:

Would it be as simple as connecting the pre-outs off the new receiver to one of the stereo inputs

on my Pioneer VSX-505s, and connecting the appropriate speakers wires to the Pioneer, 

then matching the volume levels?

Rear Panel View Pic of the Pioneer here.

Pic of my rear wall attached.

Obviously, my set-up isn't optimal but its the only option.

It still sounds fantastic.

Side note that my Audyssey set the RP-140SAs at 70hz crossover so these go pretty low.

This was a surprise because no frequency specs were ever published on the 140SAs.

I use my older Denon 2 channel receiver to power the front right/left K-horns fed by the pre-outs of the Denon X-4000 and set the volume according to the new receiver adjustments procedure at around 80 SPL. Then the volume of the old receiver will follow the volume of the new receiver so I only need to adjust the new receiver. The X-4000 feeds the center channel, sub,  and the side and rear channels normally. I would assume you can do this with any of the speakers. I did it because the old 2 channel receiver has more low end balls. This is also with the tone controls in the flat position.

JJK