Mount RP-140SAs on wall or set on front speakers? Opinions, please

yojoe74

Planning an atmos-receiver upgrade soon as part of a total system upgrade...

Will be purchasing a set of the RP-140SAs for my Front Height Atmos speakers.

I've been thinking about mounting them on the wall up high,

as opposed to setting them on the speaker.

It would seem to me the effects would be better than bouncing the sound off the ceiling.

See the picture below...

would mount them to the left-right of the shelf and about mid-way between the shelf and the ceiling.

Your thoughts?  Bear in mind my Atmos Rear Heights will be mounted RP-140SAs.  See pic below.

frontwall.JPG

wallwide.JPG

Atmos modules should not be mounted any higher than half the height of your wall. It should generally be located very close to your main Left/Right speakers. For rear height channels they should be located as close as possible to the surround back channels. Atmos modules ALWAYS fire toward the ceiling, or it won't work. If you are using them as traditional back surround channels then mounting them as you have woudd be fine, though still too high. The WDST surround speakers you have should be mounted 90 degrees from your couch.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Edited by Jay L

yeah that just doesn't look that would give the atmos effect at all with the rears up and just pointing out way in front of you. can't imagine how many people are gonna try this atmos thing and not properly set them up because of the room constraints. id rather just not do it if i couldn't do it right. 

Dolby brings the Atmos Cinema experience to the home via the Dolby Atmos Renderer, which keeps in tact all 128 object paths from the Cinema experience via spatial coding by recognizing the speakers in your home system. To achieve overhead sound you need to render height information via ceiling speakers or via a new speaker technology: DAES (Dolby Atmos Enabled Speakers). The DAES (your RP-140SA's) are specifically designed & engineered to replicate ceiling speakers by reflecting sound off the ceiling back down to the MLP.

The spec includes specific spatial cues, frequency response requirements, treble curve & the proprietary directivity standards.  Dolby calculated the proper angle for the upward-firing speaker design, based on the horizontal placement on or near the front towers & rear surrounds.  If you mount the RP-140SA's vertically on the wall... you will lose all the Atmos engineering that was specifically designed & developed for the RP-140SA to reflect off the ceiling & back down to the listener.  

A vertical wall mount RP-140SA will act more like a traditional height speaker... not a Dolby Atmos Enabled Speaker. If you plan to use them as an  Atmos configured speaker.... then place them on top of your front towers no question.

Edited by Nismo

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I mounted the 140s on the wall, above the front towers, about 9 feet up - and they now sound terrificI

I have the exact same RP speakers as in your photo, all the way around. After trying the 140s for about a year, firing up to the ceiling from the top of my towers, I decided the sound wasn't as perfect as I would like. So, I mounted the 140s above the towers about 9 feet up.

The sound is WAY better for me.

Note: I also have a cathedral ceiling that slants from 10 ft. up to about 20 ft. high at one point, which is not good for bouncing sound off correctly. HOWEVER, I still feel mounting them high on the wall and tilting them to the ears in the listening area, from high up, sounds about perfect. It's not the 'Atmos' likes it but it works a lot better for me.

P.S. I used these brackets, as this guy did,  upside down:

• 2 weeks later...

From what I have read, if you use then like that, they are better off for surround speakers, for atmos you need to place them flat so they can bounce the sound. I personally have 2 pairs of these and I absolutely love them. I have a pair sitting on my mains, and a pair sitting on my side surrounds, and it works really well.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

hey guys hope all is well . I got a question I just bought klipsch rp 140 sa . my ceiling hieght is 7 ft but flat would I be better off mounting at cieling for front  hieghts or use them as the Dolby atmos enabled speaker they were designed to do. if I use a Dolby enable and place on top fronts I only have about 18 inch of clearence to reflect . thanks in advance for any replies