Dunlavy SC-IV or Modified K-Horns

audiogurujax

Hi guys I am in a dilemma I have to choose between these 2 speakers a pair of Dunlavy SC-IV in mint condition or a pair of old Modified K-Horns with the 400 cylindrical horn ALK crossover and Beyma and BC drivers. Both are at the same price?

what do you guys think is a better buy?

FYI My system is all tubes Primaluna Dialog Premiun HP Power and My room is 14'x18'x9' no windows perfect rectangle carpeted with acoustic panels and basstraps. So I have 2 perfect corners for the K-horns.

Personally, if you have the corners, I would take the Klipsch. Not just because I like them, but the Dunlavys are only 92db sensitivity. The Khorns are around 104. Not to mention the incredible dynamics you get from fully horn loaded speakers.

Bruce

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I own Duntec 2001 pair (Austraila manufacture) and KHorns very similar to those for sale. The Duntecs sound best with 200 watt "Ichiban" class "A" triodes and the Klipsch currently sound great with 3.5 watt Wright or Mastersound 300B Caesar itegrated amp. You could have better portability and the potential for a less expensive driver amp with the K horns. The "restriction" of corner placement without modification of the Khorns is a significant variable. In my case the Dunlavy design is used in a room with corners not suitable for the horns as a result of my fireplace restriction on corner placement while the Khorns are in a smaller room with excellent corners for their integration. Buy both... but if you must choose and can live with corner placement,buy the Khorns.

• 2 years later...
On 9/2/2015 at 10:07 AM, audiogurujax said:

Hi guys I am in a dilemma I have to choose between these 2 speakers a pair of Dunlavy SC-IV in mint condition or a pair of old Modified K-Horns with the 400 cylindrical horn ALK crossover and Beyma and BC drivers. Both are at the same price?

what do you guys think is a better buy?

FYI My system is all tubes Primaluna Dialog Premiun HP Power and My room is 14'x18'x9' no windows perfect rectangle carpeted with acoustic panels and basstraps. So I have 2 perfect corners for the K-horns.

I have owned several pairs of K Horns, 2 pairs in the room I am in now. 

I currently own Dunlavy SC IV's, and they are placed in my room corners, Klipschorn Style.

I know this is an old thread, but if it were me, I would avoid the modified K Horns, unless you plan to keep them for life, and/or can get them dirt cheap.

Re sale value on them will be terrible IF you can even sell them. Sad to say, many potential buyers of a Klipschorn simply don't want someone's "Tinker Toy" 

On the other hand, the Dunlavy SC IV is still used today by recording engineers, so it will have some resale value, if you have to sell them.

I have had great sounds from my old Klipschorns, and from my current Dunlavy SC IV's.

I could be happy with either.