Which secondary speakers?

Coytee

Ok, probably spent near $1,000 in wire alone to get the basement wired up for a full HT system.

Wife doesn't want me to bring the Danley's into the room.

Now, she hits me up with, she wants to repurpose the room and I can move everything to the garage.  We'll finish the garage and I'll have a larger room than I currently do.

(yeah....  then it will be I can move everything out to the field, but....I digress)

So, I'm open to the garage.  I'll leave this current room 100% intact so it will be self sustained and independent of the garage/cave system.

My question is....  what side/surround speakers to mate with the Jubilee's?

Current room anticipates LaScalas buried in the rear wall (might leave them there) and LaScala center.

The rears on the current setup would be sitting on the floor.  If I used some of the commercial choices, they could likely be wall mounted and raised off the floor.

So, with Jubes in the front (unless I can make room to fit the MWM's), what would be the next best mate for them?

Keep the LaScalas in use?  (center channel has a 510)

Use something out of the cinema lineup?

So, with Jubes in the front (unless I can make room to fit the MWM's), what would be the next best mate for them?

Keep the LaScalas in use?  (center channel has a 510)

Use something out of the cinema lineup?

I'd use Cornwalls or CornScala bass bins with K-510 horns installed - 2-way for surrounds.  I believe that Bob Crites can do that for you (IIRC).  The 15-inch Cornwall woofer really adds a great deal to the bottom end on multi-channel recordings, and deep effects on cinema.  I wouldn't bother with the Cinema 12" woofers, since they don't go very deep (like a La Scala or Belle).  I'd use La Scalas or Belles instead of the KPT series surrounds to get cleaner sound.

I'm currently using Cornwalls ('79s) and the sound is good, but I have to correct the time alignment issues using an additional Dx38.  If you go two-way, you make that task much easier.

I don't like the bipoles or dipoles since they really can't match timbre with the Jubs, and unless you have like 4 or more rows of chairs being used in your HT, it doesn't make a lot of sense.  Just aim the Cornwalls/CornScalas at your prime listening position, and raise them up to seated ear level or slightly higher, and you'll match timbre.

Getting the surrounds bi-amped, time aligned and EQed flat made more of a difference than I ever thought it could.  Most people probably don't want to talk about that point... ;)

The center can easily be a tri-amped or biamped La Scala or Belle with a K-510 or K-402 (if you have the room).  I posted the settings to do this on the forum.

Chris

Edited by Chris A

I'd use La Scalas or Belles instead of the KPT series surrounds to get cleaner sound.
cleaner sound? 

what bout some kpt-325? i think they would make great surrounds. they are slender and have the 15" you want for the low end and the 510 you want on the high end and the b&c de-750 is a sweet driver. i would love to have 4 of them for surrounds one day. 

The KPT-325 isn't a surround speaker (it's a behind-the-screen speaker), but it is the equivalent of a CornScala bass bin with a K-510. 

The CornScala would look nicer, IMHO.  I don't know the prices, however, of both.

"Cleaner" means "less modulation distortion of the woofer due to horn-loading the bass".  Those are PWK's terms, not mine.  That's very audible. 

There's typically a size and economic trade that is made for surrounds since they contribute much less than the front three loudspeakers on average.  The Klipsch Professional surrounds make even more compromises, IMHO, and they're for commercial  movie theaters.

Horn-loaded surrounds would be big (if they went down to 40 Hz or below).  I'd like to do that, but I didn't have the room for them, just like not having the room for conventional front-loaded horn subwoofers - so I use TH subs instead, and put them right behind the Jubs.  Works extremely well crossed at 40 Hz with the Jubs (24 dB/octave).

Chris

Edited by Chris A

I'm blessed that my wife is tolerant with all my AV crap I have in every room. Not once has she objected to anything, anywhere

Yeah, that's it, kick the poor guy when he's down, that oughta make him feel better.  :lol:

He's got a THOUSAND BUCKS in wire in that former HT he now can't use!  :wacko:

• Like 1