How do you set your center channel

dtel

• Moderators

In the last few of days I had to take apart everything on the stand that went around the TV. Both 2 Ch and the Ht had to be completely take down to redo the cabinet to make it work for the new TV to sit on top of instead of around the TV.

When I reconnected the Ht stuff I reset the volumes of each channel because it had not been done in a long time and the center channel moved from the top to the bottom of the cabinet. About a 5' change in height.

I remembered reading about how some people set the center volume a couple of Db's louder then the rest to better hear the dialog. I set it 2 Db louder and it sounds like it's easier to heard at times but sometimes seems to overpower the mains. (There all the exact same model speakers)

I find it hard to believe 2 Db would make that much difference and thought about going to one Db. Sounds crazy that little difference makes. 

How do most people set there centers ?

Edited by dtel
  • Like 1

I started with Pioneer's MCACC and got okay results. Then went to a Dirac processor to do fine calibration. Remember, it needs to sound good to you, not to anyone else.

How do you get dirac live. Is that something that comes with certain recievers. Oh and by the way how do you like the 15 inch klipsch sub.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

I remembered reading about how some people set the center volume a couple of Db's louder then the rest to better hear the dialog. I set it 2 Db louder and it sounds like it's easier to heard at times but sometimes seems to overpower the mains. (There all the exact same model speakers)

I find it hard to believe 2 Db would make that much difference and thought about going to one Db. Sounds crazy that little difference makes. 

• Do you have Audyssey (or similar) to set your levels?  That's a good starting point, and if you are going to use built in room and speaker auto-EQ, it may be a little better than SPL meters, because it keeps track of the EQ changes it makes, and factors them into the speaker level settings, while the pink noise in your AVR bypasses Audyssey.  Using a test disk with pink noise is fine, because any signal coming from a player passes through the auto Eq in your AVR.  Once again, for the center channel, this should be a starting point.
  • The relative intensity of the center channel varies with the film mix, unfortunately, so you may find yourself turning the center up or down during a film.  We do this in, maybe, 1 out of 10 films.
  • Originally we set the center channel about 0.5 dB lower than Audyssey set it, because we like the music on the soundtrack to come up and surround the center signal.  Over time, we decided that the center SPL need to be where Audyssey set it, for intelligibility, in most films, so the Audyssey level became our standard, from which we deviate as needed.
  • We often turn the center up by 0.5 dB to 2 dB for films using idiosyncratic English accents (Cockney, Australian, etc.)  0.5 dB makes a clear difference, and 2 dB makes a pretty obvious and appreciable difference.
Edited by garyrc

My L/C/R are all the same model (LaScala)... and my center was set at -4.5 dB, as it's 9 feet away from the MLP. My L/R are set at 0.0 dB as they are 12 feet away (in the corners). The numbers were generated by my Pioneer (MCACC) and I checked them with my Radio Shack sound meter.

For TV I generally have the center turned up by 1 dB (to -3.5 dB), as it provides the best balance in my room. For most movies turning it back down to -4.5 dB seems to work best. I know the 1 dB isn't much, but it's quite noticeable to me, sitting on my couch.

I'm also very close to ear level with my LaScala's midrange/tweeter while sitting on my couch. So that may be why the 1 dB makes as much difference.

Every room and pair of ears/speakers are different... Use what sounds best to you.

Edited by GPBusa
  • Like 1

I set mine on a couple of cement blocks... 

Generally speaking, I set mine the same output volume although they are different models of speakers. I want the volume at my ear to be identical. I think the KLF-C7 setting is up about 6 db from the LS, but the volume at listening position is the same. So for your all forte system, the settings on the receiver should be identical (perhaps even a bit lower at center since it's so much closer to you than your L/R mains. 

I use the Yamaha YPAO auto set feature and set it exactly the same. What makes the difference to me is what listening MODE I use. For stereo sometimes It's 2 CH (no sub no eq), I also have a setting with the auto eq and sub engaged (but sub is a little lower in the mix)- I know you have a separate 2 channel system for music so perhaps this doesn't matter to you. 

Yamaha also has a built in compressor on some HT models, usually a MAX, norm, and MIN mode. I use the Max for action adventure movies, the norm most of the time, and MIN when late night watching. What this does is helps me avoid having to turn the sound up and down depending on the action on screen. For instance really loud passages I find myself turning master volume down, and then during quiet dialog have to turn the volume up. Using the MIN setting avoids much of this. 

• Like 1

I have mis-matched L/R and C, so I let Audyssey set things.

After that, I think I boost the EQ about 1-2 db in the 100-400 Hz range using the AVR, center speaker only.  This range catches both male and female vocals.

I also use the Onk 717 to set the listening mode to Theater Mode, which puts the male/female vocals and dialog firmly in the center speaker.  If I use Music Mode, the voices are more out to the L/R.  This listening mode makes more difference in dialog than simply running the speaker a little hot, IMO.

Edited by wvu80

• Moderators

What types of receiver/pre-amp/processor do you use?  Do you have a microphone to test volume level?

it's an older Yamaha receiver RxV730, with no microphone I always used a Db meter to level all channels from where we sit.

• Do you have Audyssey (or similar) to set your levels?  That's a good starting point, and if you are going to use built in room and speaker auto-EQ, it may be a little better than SPL meters, because it keeps track of the EQ changes it makes, and factors them into the speaker level settings, while the pink noise in your AVR bypasses Audyssey.  Using a test disk with pink noise is fine, because any signal coming from a player passes through the auto Eq in your AVR.  Once again, for the center channel, this should be a starting point.
  • The relative intensity of the center channel varies with the film mix, unfortunately, so you may find yourself turning the center up or down during a film.  We do this in, maybe, 1 out of 10 films.
  • Originally we set the center channel about 0.5 dB lower than Audyssey set it, because we like the music on the soundtrack to come up and surround the center signal.  Over time, we decided that the center SPL need to be where Audyssey set it, for intelligibility, in most films, so the Audyssey level became our standard, from which we deviate as needed.
  • We often turn the center up by 0.5 dB to 2 dB for films using idiosyncratic English accents (Cockney, Australian, etc.)  0.5 dB makes a clear difference, and 2 dB makes a pretty obvious and appreciable difference.

No Audyssey either :o

I set mine on a couple of cement blocks... 

Generally speaking, I set mine the same output volume although they are different models of speakers. I want the volume at my ear to be identical. I think the KLF-C7 setting is up about 6 db from the LS, but the volume at listening position is the same. So for your all forte system, the settings on the receiver should be identical (perhaps even a bit lower at center since it's so much closer to you than your L/R mains. 

I use the Yamaha YPAO auto set feature and set it exactly the same. What makes the difference to me is what listening MODE I use. For stereo sometimes It's 2 CH (no sub no eq), I also have a setting with the auto eq and sub engaged (but sub is a little lower in the mix)- I know you have a separate 2 channel system for music so perhaps this doesn't matter to you. 

Yamaha also has a built in compressor on some HT models, usually a MAX, norm, and MIN mode. I use the Max for action adventure movies, the norm most of the time, and MIN when late night watching. What this does is helps me avoid having to turn the sound up and down depending on the action on screen. For instance really loud passages I find myself turning master volume down, and then during quiet dialog have to turn the volume up. Using the MIN setting avoids much of this. 

I think your right, the mains are further away which makes the 2 Db seem even louder. I need to check the max-min thing, I think it's set to max. Your right I wouldn't listen to 2Ch with the Yamaha with the other setup right there.

The new Tv has many more connections and I split the optical from the BR player so 2 Ch and Ht can play at the same time. I was  playing with the mwm/402 as mains and turning off the forte mains by pressing the button on the front, it's definitely different. Even though the 2 Ch speakers are better I THINK I like the perfect match of the 3 forte ll's better, so far. 

• Moderators

Still looking but thanks for all the answers, I think I will try 1 Db louder on the center and try that for a while, I could always go even across the front.

One thing that may be sounding a little different to me is where the center is now. It was on a shelf about 6' high before pointed down and now it's about  6 inches from the floor pointed up to where we sit.

I know I need a new receiver, something from this century would help, but to tell the truth it still sounds good, the Tv was much more important, thought I was going blind ! :blink:

I need to take a new pic, I already have a before pic.

Edited by dtel