Upgrade Forte IIs

hawkster

OK, I'm still loving my 23 year old Forte IIs.  I've done the Crites crossover and titanium tweeter upgrades, but we're always looking for the next, best, mod, right?  Today I read a review of the Reference Premiere RP-150M system in Sound and Vision, and it got me thinking: would the Forte IIs benefit sonically by upgrading the original paper 12" bass drivers with the orange Cerametallic drivers?  (Not to mention the aesthetic upgrade.)  Has anyone done this?  Is it even possilble to buy the Cerametallics separately?

If you want "prettier" speakers with the copper/orange colored drivers, then go buy a pair of the new RP series. You'll end up with a 2-way speaker, that doesn't sound nearly as good as your 20+ year old Forte II's... just my opinion.

Also, there are no 12" inch cerametallic copper colored woofers in any of the current or past Klipsch speakers. All of those cerametallic drivers (10" and smaller) are in 2-way speakers, and are crossed over much higher (1200 Hz to over 2000 Hz) than the 12" in the Forte II (crossed at 650Hz). So there's nothing available from Klipsch, except possible original equipment drivers, to replace what's in the Forte II.

If you're looking to upgrade, then a Chorus II or a Cornwall would be a step up. Though some would even argue that... as the Forte II is probably the best bang for the buck speaker Klipsch has made.

Edited by GPBusa
  • Like 1

The Forte II is probably the most balanced speaker Klipsch made.  Minor mods such as tweeter diaphragm and crossover clean up are about the only things that should be done.

As far as the woofer, the cooper colored woofers are nice but the 12" you have can't be replaced adhoc.  Klipsch's efficient speakers with a 12" cerametalic don't exist, only in powered subs (not efficient). 

Leave them alone and enjoy knowing you already have a sleeper.

• Like 1