Chorus fabs - pretty

Matthews

Decided to start a new thread, in its proper place.

So these are the Chorus I have gutted and preparing for a remodel.  Tentatively, they are to be taken to an Amish carpenter to have new cabinets built from Mahogany veneer plywood.  Updates to follow.  Plus, many questions and opinions needed from you, the awesome, Klipsch Community.

post-36834-0-89380000-1441546313_thumb.j

post-36834-0-09620000-1441546324_thumb.j

post-36834-0-85740000-1441546950_thumb.j

This will be fun :)  - Thanks all ♪ ♫ ♪ -

Edited by Matthews

Hey Matt glad you got those ....well not that glad lol......but I use to have a white German shepherd and she had a few puppies over the years. Yours could be related

About mounting the grills with magnets I have done that. I put metal strip under the veneer on my scalas and then put magnets in the Base shoe mounding trim works pretty good. Sounds like your gonna do them good better than I would have probably. Can not wait to see them finished.

Did you repair tweets or buy bobs replacements for them?? Rick

• Like 1

Did you repair tweets or buy bobs replacements for them?? Rick

Thanks, Rick.  Am glad I pulled the trigger on these.  They sound amazing!!!  I used the old tweeter diaphragms out of the KLF-30's.  Most likely, to put the Crites in these however, once I get that far.  Originals back in the KLF.

I like your mod of hiding the metal under the veneer.  Not sure exactly what wood will be used yet though...

I use to have a white German shepherd and she had a few puppies over the years. Yours could be related

That is Orion, he was a rescue by MoGS out of Omaha, Nebraska. 

Hey Matt...

Yes good score for sure on the Chorus....

I got a set about 8 years ago...in about the same condition as yours.... I got a crazy deal on mine.... Like you and your love one would spend more at Taco Bell on lunch than what I paid for mine....lol lol 

I replaced the blown woofer in mine and just used them for quite a few years... 

Then I had a customer that owed me some money for his car... He did wood work and told me he could re-finish them. 

So i gave him the bare cabs.....that was about three years ago....he feel off the face of the map.... Can't get a hold of him...

Did speak with his brother and he told me his brother moved to Ohio and they are in storage here in Md... So I am to get them back....Yea a bad deal....I just want my cabs back...

Well I'm sure your project will turn out great....The Chorus speakers sound great... I do have Chorus II's and I love them...

They sound great with just a few watts.... but can handle all kinds of power....

Best of luck....have fun with em.....

MKP :-)

• Like 2

It is official, my level of insanity just increased a notch or two.  Got enough wood for 2, brand spankin' new, custom cabinets.  -YAY-

Looking forward to deciding on the little tweaks that will make these Chorus definitely "one of a kind".

...and yes, that is Birch   - Mahogany did not make the cut, too dark.

post-36834-0-86420000-1441663000_thumb.j

• Like 1

I recessed magnets under the veneer into the motorboard and originally used felt pads to attach the 2nd set of magnets to the grill. I think I'm going to attach them directly to the grill and put a thin piece of cloth over them so they dont damage the veneer. They. snap on hard, the felt was too thick, but HDRBUILDER and MORAY already told me that.

Mahogany is darker and WAY more expensive

Mark

Edited by ZEUS121996

How are these coming?????? Fill us in dude.

:)  Hi Rick, funny you should ask.  "jiminSTL" mentioned to me just yesterday in an email about how the forum will be clamoring about to see my build

his words per email:

"You should have all the "talking heads" on the Forum all in a twitter for a long time.  Maybe you should think about converting a room at the inn to a B & B, for all the pilgrims who will want to come for a long look and listen . . . ."

LOL !!!  

To answer your question, I am traveling to St. Louis this Saturday to visit "Mookie" and his CNC machine.  I am pretty excited.  Have never seen one of these big tables in action.  Going to be neat.  Muchos Gracias to Mookie !!!

I am hoping to have them all assembled, the necessary veneer in place and lacquered in 3-4 weeks.  Don't worry, I will post some updates as soon as they are available. Moving kinda slow right now.

Going to have to get things movin' though!  No main rig now :(  - sold the KLF-30's 

WooHoo! Custom Chorus coming soon...

why'd you choose to build all new cabs rather than just re-veneer the old ones?

Hi "CANT" - the old cabinets are quite rough and have had some veneer/water damage.  I very well could have just used them as is.  They sound fantastic but I wanted something nice

post-36834-0-54480000-1442962590_thumb.jpost-36834-0-99200000-1442962603_thumb.j

The MDF board is swelled in places and beyond repair.  The boards need replaced.

what is your plan for the originals?

The old cabinets???  I would like to give them to you, "CANT", for FREE :)

Edited by Matthews

Port tube question?

I am planning on installing port tubes on the Chorus.  Stock, the Chorus does not have tubes, just two, 4" ports.  I can make these as long or as short as necessary.  Very simply they could cut to 1", purely aesthetic. 

My question, will a longer port tube enable the Chorus to dig just a little deeper?

Also, I am wondering if a panel of poly fastened to the interior walls will be beneficial, hampering or just not necessary?

post-36834-0-29960000-1442970865_thumb.j

I have 4 of these...

Any help or suggestions much appreciated :emotion-21:

What are we looking at exactly?

That is "Mookies" CNC table.  It is what he will use for the motorboard cutouts and router depths.

I've never seen one that nice!

What will you guys use to cut the sides, top and bottom?

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 1

Port tube question?

I am planning on installing port tubes on the Chorus.  Stock, the Chorus does not have tubes, just two, 4" ports.  I can make these as long or as short as necessary.  Very simply they could cut to 1", purely aesthetic. 

My question, will a longer port tube enable the Chorus to dig just a little deeper?

Also, I am wondering if a panel of poly fastened to the interior walls will be beneficial, hampering or just not necessary?

attachicon.gifport (Small).jpg

I have 4 of these...

Any help or suggestions much appreciated :emotion-21:

You could add some length to your ports and tune it lower but test it with increasing of short increments so not to remove the tight snappy bass the Chorus is known for. More importantly you may want use flared ports to reduce the chance of chuffing under heavy volume.

Line the cabinet with acoustic sound dampener if you want to reduce resonances.

• Like 1