Need help - Reference tweeter confusion

lonnie0778

Hello all, I am new to Klipsch forum, as I have been a long time Polk fan but recently scored some Reference sets and I have to say I really like, as I will be replacing my Polk setup with these when I get them sorted out. That said, I have a set of RF-35's, with a tweeter not working. So, I have 3 RF-25's and having one extra I swapped tweeters with the 35. Klipsch website says they all should have K-137 tweeters and my RF-25's do have, I noticed that the ones in the 35's clearly were different, K-134, but I swapped anyway thinking maybe a slightly different version of the K-137, but it isn't the case as the K-137 is a much louder unit. So, that had my gears turning so I popped open my RC-35 to check what it has, and it has yet a different, K-130. The center has very dull highs compared to the others. Now, I want to get the tweeter fixed so I can use all of my stuff, but now I don't know what tweeter I should be running, both 35's have the K-134. They all do have different sounds, the center does not match the 25's or 35's even from 15 feet away the difference is clear. I really want to be a Klipsch fan, as the looks are stellar, but I do not like the mismatched parts used. So, my main question is, did someone change tweeters at some point, or did Klipsch build these this way? Any help will be greatly appreciated.   

you'd be best calling and probably asking someone at klipsch. i have learned not to trust the website 100% of the time. and dont let this mismatch parts steer you away from the brand. klipsch makes good speakers. much better than polk in my opinion. 

and welcome to the forum

Edited by Scrappydue
  • Like 1

Thanks for the welcome Scrappydue, I will say the Klipsch do seem to have a better build quality than the Polk. I snagged these on Friday, I did try calling customer service but they are closed for the holiday. I will give them a call tomorrow, for some info and to order what is needed, was hoping to get some knowledge before hand. 

And to Schu, they do have a tweeter, I was thinking was going to be a K-137, but both of the RF-35's i have bot run a K-134 tweeter. 

I am not giving up on Klipsch, I LOVE the looks of the copper drivers, but I do hope to get them all up and running and timbre matched without have to buy tweeters for all. I will say on that end, Polk does have 100% of my experience parts that are advertised, and makes it easier to replace. 

I had seen that listed, but that is what is confusing me, the tweeter that came out of the 35, and is in the other 35 is a K-134, quick is 3 ohms. According to Klipsch, specs on the 35's indicate they do have the 8 ohm K-137, so I'm not sure what to replace with. As of now, I have one 35 running the K-134 it came with, and the other using the K-137 swapped from a spare RF-25, the K-137 tower over powers the other tower, and the center has a K-130, and has yet an even lower volume from the tweeter. None of the 3 speakers match, and its a noticeable difference.

My concern is if I reuse one of this model my Reference setup will still not be timbre matched. But I also am not sure about changing the ohm rating, and if I can use the K-137, I would have to order 3, one for each RF-35 and one for the center RC-35 to get them all to match the RF-25 that seems to have correct tweeters. Sorry for dragging this out, I am just searching for the correct information from people with more experience and knowledge than I posses. Thanks again for the help.