Time to sign your kids up for xylophone lessons....

Mighty Favog

if there is one single instrument that sounds the most incredible on my cornwalls... its the xylophone

I don't mean to be correcting you, but I would guess that instrument sound you like is the Marimba.  The good ones use rosewood bars, the xylo's are a lot more harsh sounding.

Here are some 3 1/2 octave marimbas, 4 mallet technique. The music is Scheherazade, played by the Santa Clara Vanguard pit.  Your Cornwalls should expose the clarity of every note and you can hear each time they switch from yarn to rubber mallets.

Tune in about 4:20 for some incredible marimba runs.  The xylo's are in the second row.

And here's the marimba cam, so you can learn the music at home and play like this guy.  B)

Edited by wvu80

Vibraphone... gary burton sounds extraordinary.

I don't really know what the difference is between these hammered instruments.

I was once upon a time in a group called Marimbas of Houston.  That was fun, I still wish I had mine(natural rosewood keys even), but I needed a car blah blah blah.

The basic differences are range and timbre.  Marimbas are typically four octaves with some even another half octave on the low end.  The pitch and resonance gives them a mellow sound.  Xylophones operate on the higher frequencies and have a drier timbre, much more cutting and piercing than a marimba.  Traditionally both were made of hardwoods but as far back as the seventies synthetic materials began to be used for economic and ecologic reasons.  Vibraphones are a different stripe since the keys are made of metal and a motor can be used to turn butterfly valves which can rotate between the bottom of the keys and the resonator tubes, providing different speeds of oscillation.