Has anyone built a Cornwall clone without using expensive drivers and crossovers?

kozalmighty

Understood. Life happens. The people on this board are the most amazing collection of helpful resources that exists anywhere (as near as I can tell).

Please keep posting even if your're only in consideration of this or that. I learn so much from these people (pretty sure I'm not alone) that it's staggering.

Dialogue. That's all it takes, here. Wisdom is dispatched from so many. I just can't even thank Klipsch enough for providing the resources to run this board.

Crazy-great-stuff. Every day. For free. Back-up the truck and Buy Klipsch!

Hey DJK, that is a really nice collection of parts you picked out, and value to boot, with NO loss of audio quality!  :emotion-21:

You didn't just open the PE catalog and decide all those parts would work together, someone did a lot of research and thinking to come up with that.  Is there a back story, or a project you have put together some time in the past?

+++

KOZ Almighty:  I know you have your heart set on a Cornwall 3-way design, but have you considered a 2-way design?  A lot of us like the sound of a 2-way and a 15" pro woofer with a nice large horn can sound really good, and it might save you some money in terms of having to buy fewer drivers and the crossovers are less complicated and less costly.  The trade-off would be that you would have to have a compression driver that would dig low and a pro woofer that would cross high (relatively speaking) and those drivers usually cost more.

I have a 2-way kit called the Cheap Thrill that uses a 15" pro woofer and a 12" SEOS horn that keeps up with my Klipsch CF-4's, except the CT's are more accurate.  The project was put together and the XO designed by highly respected speaker builder Bill Waslo.  The $50 woofer I used is no longer available but a replacement might be found still under $80.

I think I have less than $200 in each speaker and for the crossover they use the inexpensive but very nice sounding Dayton Audio crossover parts.  The high quality sound for the very little dollars invested is unbelievable, especially when compared to speakers costing thousands.

http://www.diysoundgroup.com/forum/index.php?topic=221.0

"You didn't just open the PE catalog and decide all those parts would work together, someone did a lot of research and thinking to come up with that.  Is there a back story, or a project you have put together some time in the past?"

I own all of the parts I linked to, and also use a speaker with the CA154 biamped with the EV DH1a and HP940 for PA.

The horn was used in the Club Series Yamaha monitors (with an Eminence driver), and sounds quite good.

• Like 1

I own all of the parts I linked to, and also use a speaker with the CA154 biamped with the EV DH1a and HP940 for PA. The horn was used in the Club Series Yamaha monitors (with an Eminence driver), and sounds quite good.

Very cool.  B)

I especially liked the Dayton Audio H812, a 1" Exponential Horn 100x60.  At ten bucks it looks like it would be a great performer especially at that price point.  My favored and roughly equivalent SEOS 12 waveguide is around $34.