Advice on settings for denon avr4311ci

nitrofan

I have a Denon AVR4311CI avr. Speakers are, front Lascala's stock. Center RC7. Surround DCM timefreme. Rear surround Klipsch CF1. Subs 2 Klipsch sub 12's. Here is my question. I just realized i can set crossover frequency for each pair of speakers individually. Right now it's 80 hz across the board. Also i can select from 4,6, or 8 ohm. It's set at 6. For the multi channel modes i am satisfied so my question only pertains to 2 channel listening which i prefer for music. Just the lascala's and the subs. i love the way drums sound in some songs like the beginning of money for nothing,just before the guitar solo. Also the low drums in The weight by the band and the drums in Hey you by pink floyd. What i want is more impact on these kinds of drums. Would i benefit from lowering the crossover on the mains? I listen very loud and don't want to damage the woofers in the lascala;s or send frequencies to them they can't play. Also should i go to the 4 ohm setting. I want more dynamics and slam from the types of drums i talked about. Thanks for any help or insight you fine people can provide.

I have a Denon AVR4311CI avr. Speakers are, front Lascala's stock. Center RC7. Surround DCM timefreme. Rear surround Klipsch CF1. Subs 2 Klipsch sub 12's. Here is my question. I just realized i can set crossover frequency for each pair of speakers individually. Right now it's 80 hz across the board. Also i can select from 4,6, or 8 ohm. It's set at 6. For the multi channel modes i am satisfied so my question only pertains to 2 channel listening which i prefer for music. Just the lascala's and the subs. i love the way drums sound in some songs like the beginning of money for nothing,just before the guitar solo. Also the low drums in The weight by the band and the drums in Hey you by pink floyd. What i want is more impact on these kinds of drums. Would i benefit from lowering the crossover on the mains? I listen very loud and don't want to damage the woofers in the lascala;s or send frequencies to them they can't play. Also should i go to the 4 ohm setting. I want more dynamics and slam from the types of drums i talked about. Thanks for any help or insight you fine people can provide.

try lowering the crossover a bit and see if you get what you want from the la scales. Set your ohms and 8 and never touch it again. When you lower it it limits voltage and actually cuts power to protect the receiver. No need with all your speakers.

If those don't help I'm gonna go out and say some beefier subs you can run hotter will get you that slam you want.

I have spent about about 15 or so years with a pair of La Scalas and various subs.  The whole time with a Denon AVR 3600 except  the last 4 years which I used the Denon 4311. IMO, the La Scalas are really done at a 100hz. You can stretch them to 80hz as I do that, but I don't hear gaining much with the trade off with the sub.  Also there are a few stand off options that may not be set right on the 4311 and can effect the bass going to the mains. Make sure your speaker config is set to LFE+mains in the AVR menu. If you're familiar with the 4311, forget I mentioned that, but it will make an on and off difference. The LaScalas makes sound that beats everything within its response and capabilities, its just when you try and fill in with a sub where the La Scala is falling off that you realize just how good the Scala does things and sometimes subs and multi subs aren't always easy to blend. I have several tracks where some things sound much better than others and its just that. If your setup sounds great with one recording at that given frequency range from a single instrument in this case and not so good with another recording in the similar range, its just the recording.

IMO, a great sounding, dynamic, fully horn loaded speaker that is unforgiving and all revealing is hard to break from.  A bad recording is bad and believe it or not that same recording gets worse with better drivers and bigger horns, but good is well, well its beyond GREAT.  Its the few moments of perfection you hear in a song that keeps you coming back. Its the dynamics and clarity of the horn itself that reaches out and grabs you, just now and again to remind you why only a horn will fill your ears and everything else is dry and lifeless.  

For 2 channel in the HT, I run the front Belles with LFE+main 2.1 stereo mode on the 4311. I like it best crossed at 80 U.S. When I want a little more slam on the low end, I just raise the level on the sub and reduce it again when running 9 channels again for the HT.

Read your 4311 manual....a lot of tweak jewels to be found in there for the monster 4311.

Well here is my verdict. ..........I can't tell any difference. Maybe very slightly more punchy at 60hz and 8 ohms. The lascala's do an amazing job at reproducing what I'm looking for. Guess it's just human nature to want more of a good thing. Definetely in my nature. Maybe some horn loaded subs? Quarter pies under the lascala's?