Do You Have Epic CF-4? What to Look For?

Jim Naseum

4 minutes ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

And if the grill frames are made of glued sawdust, they will fall apart beyond repair. 

It's been a minute since I have owned Epics. Are the grill frames plastic or wood?

Plastic. Would not have even entertained the idea of a bath if the latter was the case! Would have to be spot cleaning in that case, I’d think. 

Edited by Micklipsch
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Micklipsch said:

Oh for sure; my existing receiver won’t be the downfall of these speakers. I’ll buy a suitable amp if anything!

You mention blowing your amp. Is there something I should not do as to avoid any equipment damage?

I also may have to read into bi-amp intricacies. You just mentioned a bunch of different setups and I thought it was basically a one way road (hook right channel to one post set, hook right rear surround to other post set, and so on).

It had issues before and and the center amp had failed on it already, so something happened and now i think only 1 amp works on it. It was a nice sounding unit. I since got an HDMI DAC that basically adds all the bells and whistles of future proof that the Marantz SR7007 didn't have, but instead of repair, i purchased a McIntosh MX120 preamp in combination with my HDMI DAC+4kHDMI switch. That Essence Evolve II-4K DAC really helped me open up options of using older, better built legacy AVR's with all the modern things i need like HDR and uncompressed audio rather than buy an overpriced AVR every time the tech advances. 

You shouldn't have anything to worry about bi-amping with your rear channels on your Denon. 

• Like 1

Looks like I only have 18 AWG on hand. Crutchfield recommends atleast 16 AWG for short runs under 50ft. (my runs will be <6ft). Should I bother running out and grabbing 16 AWG or is the 18 going to be of no consequence given the aforementioned that I’m starting off with an AVR and not the good stuff (pre-amp, amp)?

13 hours ago, Micklipsch said:

Looks like I only have 18 AWG on hand. Crutchfield recommends atleast 16 AWG for short runs under 50ft. (my runs will be <6ft). Should I bother running out and grabbing 16 AWG or is the 18 going to be of no consequence given the aforementioned that I’m starting off with an AVR and not the good stuff (pre-amp, amp)?

Like said, no worries with 18 gauge. Not a problem.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Micklipsch said:

Thanks guys! Site is barring me from using “Likes”, “Thanks”, and such, but rest assured, I whole heartedly appreciate the community and all its help here. Look forward to learning a lot more. 

Welcome to the forum!

4 minutes ago, Micklipsch said:

Well, initially throwing them on the front channels on the receiver, they sound horrible, like little transistor radios and you have to crank the volume really high just to start hearing them. I really hope I’m doing something wrong here lol

You'll sort it out, or forum will help.

What receiver did you hook to?