Few weeks away from new house and theater set up

stygz

Moving to a new house and will be going from a 3.1 to a 5.1 set up. This is a family room and not a dedicated theater.  I have installed a pair of Klipsch CTD-3650-CII for my surrounds as it is an open concept living space. My current room is about 16x19 with 13' vaulted ceiling and generally open concept to the kitchen area. The new room will be about 17x16' with a 10' ceiling. It is a more open room than before. I will be using the gear in my signature. As a bonus I had wiring run for a set of outdoor speakers. For those I went with a set of Niles OS 5.5. I really wanted the Klipsch AW525 but I could not beat the price of the Niles ($127 shipped new). It should make for a very nice set up. It will be interesting if the SVS PB1000 will be enough subwoofer. I have been thinking about doing the SVS trade up program for a PB2000 maybe after the new year. I have also been tempted by the Denon X4100 which can be had at $799.  I have wondered if the extra power would be noticeable. Anyway here is a couple pics of the install and room layout looking from the kitchen to the great room. Off to the left of the pic there is a dinning room than cannot be seen in the pic. I will have my 60'' Sharp mounted on the wall.

post-53857-0-82220000-1442084431_thumb.j

post-53857-0-54980000-1442084455_thumb.j

Edited by stygz
  • Like 2

Yes, love the floor plan. It is a spit...Kids side of house and adults master on other side. The kids rooms are connected by a bathroom they share. The kids even have their own media bonus room so they can game or watch tv in their own area.

Minermark - the wait seems forever. They started beginning of June. I was hoping to have started a month or so earlier.

derrickdj1​ - Thank You

I have been thinking about doing the SVS trade up program for a PB2000 maybe after the new year.

You'll probably need a bigger sub than what you're running now just given the open layout shown in your pic.  You might want to shop around for a few different brands though as it seems like there are better values to be had from others these days.

I have also been tempted by the Denon X4100 which can be had at $799. I have wondered if the extra power would be noticeable.

I doubt you would hear a difference. 

• Like 2

It will be interesting if the SVS PB1000 will be enough subwoofer.

That is a big room to pressurize.  I doubt the single 10" sub will give you the same visceral feeling it did while it was in a smaller room.

I have been thinking about doing the SVS trade up program for a PB2000 maybe after the new year. I have also been tempted by the Denon X4100 which can be had at $799. [/quote

The X4100 is highly regarded.  I don't think the extra power will make any real world difference at all, it would be more of a lateral move from the Denon 2100 you have now.  I would expect the dynamic headroom to have less impact once you move from a 3.1 to a 5.1 setup.  I personally like a 3.1 setup for TV watching, and even for movies.

The single biggest change from what you had is not going to be speakers, but that bigger open room.  I suggest you try all the old gear in the new room without changing anything (except the new surrounds) and re-evaluate after giving it some critical listening time. 

I think this is where Audyssey is tremendous with setup as it accounts for the room reflections as opposed to what some people do simply measuring SPL of each speaker at the main listening position.