Trust Building / Reputation

joessportster

Thinking about this as it relates to the internet, Back when I grew up and there was no internet you were as good as your word. Break your word and you can bet you were called on it (the max effective range of an excuse was  ZERO meters)

I carry that philosophy over to my dealing on the net, and I tend to hold people that I deal with to that same standard.

Fail to do what you say and I question your integrity (but I am reasonable stuff does happen),

Fail 2 or 3 times and my trust is basically lost,

Fail to do what you say and become a ghost (IE... fail to contact and at least offer a reason for failing to do what you said, and ignore my contact and request for information) Now we have an Issue

I understand people have lives, and that things can come up, I follow the rule I wont say I will do it if I am not SURE I can, further if an emergency happens I will make an effort to notify / contact whom ever I am dealing with in a timely manner (timely means hours not days)

How do you hold people responsible for a standard of conduct on the internet ??

I love it when people tell me I am straight forward and they Like dealing with folks this way, then that same individual pulls a ghost act for more than 3 days, (some may consider 3 days petty in the grand scheme But I would bet that same persons Boss would not consider it petty) and they have the nerve to be offended when called on it

It is like a double standard today Hold ones self accountable for work etc...but shine on anyone you feel like you can get over on

I am already on the boys about Honesty, It is a pet peeve of mine if you lie the punishment is much worse than just telling the truth

• Like 8

I don't believe in ghosts.  Basically do what you say you will and have the cash in hand if the situation calls for it, but don't be duped either.  If you agree to something, backing out due to a higher priority should be due to extreme issues, not cause your tired or a just a big fat lair.

Edited by jacksonbart
  • Like 3

Until there's an in-person interaction I pretty much assume all people I meet online are scumbags.

That's too bad. I believe in people until they prove me wrong. I'm very rarely disappointed. I have faith in people and the fact that most want to do right.

Edited by JL Sargent
  • Like 4

Until there's an in-person interaction I pretty much assume all people I meet online are scumbags.

That's too bad. I believe in people until they prove me wrong. I'm very rarely disappointed. I have faith in people and the fact that most want to do right.

Right-On Sarg!

Could not have said it better.

And to think someone gave this Debbie-Downer a Badge :o

Stumped you again Travis?

One forum dude to another forum dude: hey are you going by Dallas?

Other forum dude: yeah

First forum dude: we picked up some speakers for a 3rd forum dude, can you drop them off to him.

2nd Forum Dude: Sure I can

That saga is still going on

Yeah hope to see you and Luther again sometime...

At some Point Ya just got to Trust.  Does not mean you'll never get burned.

I've had excellent Results in dealing with Forum members.  So far everyone's word has been Good.   We all start out with no reputation.  Over time others will form their own opinions of us.  Post count matters some.  Man's recommendation of another man is more important.  Still have to listen to that feeling in the gut though.

Drive hundreds of miles to meet up with someone you just met online.  Or invite someone You don't know into your home to listen.   These are just a couple things that make this place feel like a home.

john

• Like 4

At some Point Ya just got to Trust.  Does not mean you'll never get burned.

I've had excellent Results in dealing with Forum members.  So far everyone's word has been Good.   We all start out with no reputation.  Over time others will form their own opinions of us.  Post count matters some.  Man's recommendation of another man is more important.  Still have to listen to that feeling in the gut though.

Drive hundreds of miles to meet up with someone you just met online.  Or invite someone You don't know into your home to listen.   These are just a couple things that make this place feel like a home.

john

Exactly Taz, Life is what we make it.

Do we get burned once in a wile, Yep, just one of those things.

But more often than not, good guy's out weigh the bad.

• Like 3

I have never had a bad experience with another forum member, whether a transaction or personal interaction. 

Consider yourself fortunate.

True I wasn't there for that, lol.  But I have always been fortunate, despite my bad luck.  What was the roman saying...fortune favors the bold?  audaces fortuna iuvat.

I must say my response to this is going to be an almost Oxy-moron.

I agree with everything said by Joe, and try to follow that in my own personal dealings. However, I was a person that would be considered the "other person" in a situation earlier this year.

My situation however was due to injury, 3 vertebrae in my back due to a work accident. I was not contacted personally, and did not go out of my way to contact this person as I was focused on my ability to recover and get back to work. I also thought this person would contact me directly if there was an issue as they had my personal contact information,email address,business address,and cell number. Lots of things went out on this forum about how bad of a person I was, but when I came back tried to make it right. That did not happen unfortunately.

I can honestly say though, that 99.9% of the time I do what I say I'm going to do,and do try to give others the benefit of the doubt that their word is good. But, my thought process is also this, do it to me once, shame on you.Do it to me twice, shame on me, do it to me 3 times and it's a habit,and I'm no one's habit.

• Like 1