Look ugly, Sound Good

cincymat

I bought these LSI's about a year ago. They need just about everything, woofers, wiring, fuse holders, and major cosmetic restoration. I decided to get them to play music first and replaced everything that was either broke or needed replaced. Bought K-33 woofers off that auction site and the rest from Parts Express. Put them back together over the past week. Turned them on this morning. My oh my they sound much better than I ever thought they could. My wife, who upon first seeing them said never bring them in the house, told me those ugly things sound really nice. So it looks like the upper and lowers are going to get refurbished.

Here's what they look like now:

post-58691-0-41540000-1442168350_thumb.jpost-58691-0-98340000-1442168385_thumb.j

I'll post more pics as I break them down and begin to work on the cabs.

Mark

• Like 4

Thanks guys. This forum is an absolute inspiration. I've never heard La Scala's before today. I've got a pair of Forte II's and think they sound pretty good. However, the LSI's are something different. I'm looking forward to some sanding, filling, more sanding and painting.

Mark

• Like 5

Thanks guys. This forum is an absolute inspiration. I've never heard La Scala's before today. I've got a pair of Forte II's and think they sound pretty good. However, the LSI's are something different. I'm looking forward to some sanding, filling, more sanding and painting.

Mark

Crank this within the wife hearing range, smile you will get.....

• Like 2

They look good to me, even better it they were mine. Some white paint and maybe some grill cloth would make them look smaller and fresher looking. LaScala's have always been the ugly redheaded stepchild of the Heritage line with not much WAF. I bought mine for the sound, as most do, not the looks. Team them up with a good sub and you will have some of the best sounding speakers made.

I'm thinking of making them look as close to original as I can. They will my my dream garage speakers for the foreseeable future.

Mark

They look good to me, even better it they were mine. Some white paint and maybe some grill cloth would make them look smaller and fresher looking. LaScala's have always been the ugly redheaded stepchild of the Heritage line with not much WAF. I bought mine for the sound, as most do, not the looks. Team them up with a good sub and you will have some of the best sounding speakers made.

I'm thinking of making them look as close to original as I can. They will my my dream garage speakers for the foreseeable future.

Mark

Mark,

How brave and ambitious are you??

There are plenty of pages on this forum with tutorial on doing your own veneering on these.

I mean, they can't really get worse and you just might end up with something the Wife wants inside the house !! ;)

Roger

• Like 2

I think I'll try to make them look original. That's going to be hard enough for me. I'm much better at electrical and mechanical work than I am at woodworking. The weather this week will allow me to work on them in the evenings after work. Need to get some Bondo and start patching.

• Like 2

Probably my favorite thing here is watching people save speakers from the trash heap.

Here, I got you a present:  B)

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/156081-starting-the-beater-la-scala-project-tomorrow/?hl=%2Bmustang+%2Bguy#entry1852771

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/157700-k-33-or-eminence-kappa-15c-woofer-in-la-scalas/?hl=%2Bla+%2Bscala

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/157635-la-scala-type-build/?hl=%2Bla+%2Bscala

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/156441-bondo-for-la-scala-cabs/?hl=%2Bla+%2Bscala

+++

Request for Help:  To you regular Klipschites, Mustang Guy did a great piece on repairing a LS cab but I can't find it in a search.  Would somebody care to try to find that article?

Edited by wvu80

Thanks, there's so much information here it makes deciding what direction to go Very hard. For now, I'm sticking with stock components. The previous owner did recap the AA networks and replaced the squawker diaphragms. With the K-33s I bought these should sound pretty close to original. Once I get used to that I can start down the upgrade path.

Mark

Mark, recheck my post, I added another link.

Still, one of the best step-by-step articles on fixing those beat up cabs was done by forum member Mustang Guy, but I can't find it.  I may send him a PM asking him to help find it.

The Bondo thread! An all time great. If you can find the thread by Mustang Guy please post a link. Anyone ever think to collect all the restoration threads and have the Admins Pin it at the top of this sub-forum? There's a ton of great information here.

Mark

Mark, recheck my post, I added another link.

Still, one of the best step-by-step articles on fixing those beat up cabs was done by forum member Mustang Guy, but I can't find it.  I may send him a PM asking him to help find it.

The Bondo thread! An all time great. If you can find the thread by Mustang Guy please post a link. Anyone ever think to collect all the restoration threads and have the Admins Pin it at the top of this sub-forum? There's a ton of great information here.

Mark

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/152257-badly-beat-up-lascala-restoration-completed/