Look ugly, Sound Good

cincymat

where did you order the aluminium trim pieces - Panacea or another outfit - personaly I dont care for trim pieces as you have to drill the wood -  Scalas look real good with no trim -

I ordered it from here:

http://www.orangealuminum.com/bar-stock/angles.html

I measured the trim from my HF bins and ordered the non-anodized mill stock. I'll report back once I receive the trim to let everyone know how close it matches. They carry the angle pieces, not the corners. Near as I can tell no one sells the Klipsch corner pieces. I spoke with Panacea last fall but they weren't up and running yet. I will talk to my Dad about it though. He worked in an aluminium foundry before retiring. Maybe he can point me towards where I can have some made. 

Mark

There was a fellow here on the Forum who did some casting and figured a way to manufacture replicas of the corners.  Note that Klipsch put a tiny dab of cement under them before screwing them down, this keeps them from buzzing. I kept one pair of the LSI-BG splits here, they seem to have more bass than other LS, I believe it's because of the density of the side panels (black glass matting), along with the strengthening from the aluminum edge pieces. 

Scrolling through the thread I see your finished work - VERY NICE - love the black on black on black.  Did you use any specific paint on the horns or just a spray satin black? Another tip is to always install a new K55 gasket while in there, they are a bit of beast to get into. 

Mark, you did a great job.....almost as good as me..... :P   No, seriously, I went through exactly the same things you did, and I know how much work it is, and how much time it takes....but in the end, extremely satisfying for sure.

Just wondering though, why did you decide to go with a K33, rather than a K43?

The K43 requires either trimming the woofer edge or removing some wood from the bass bin to make it fit. Maybe next time. Just didn't feel confident enough to give it a try.

• Like 1

Scrolling through the thread I see your finished work - VERY NICE - love the black on black on black.  Did you use any specific paint on the horns or just a spray satin black? Another tip is to always install a new K55 gasket while in there, they are a bit of beast to get into.

I did install new washers. Seems the dude I got these from made sure I left with a new pair. I painted the horns with Krylon satin black rattle can stuff I had left over from another project. Worked fine.

They do look a bit better than when I started. Next upgrade will be braces for the bass bins. Fastlane has some nice ones I'm ordering tomorrow. Then crossovers.

Thanks for looking.

Mark

• Like 1

I restored some former bar beater La Scalas for use in a high school band practice room.  I bought aluminum angle pieces at Home Depot and mitered them by hand.  That was mostly done to avoid having to recreate perfect corners.  After screwing the aluminum in place, I removed it, buttered the corners with black RTV and then screwed everything back in place.  After several years, not a rattle or single piece of loose trim.

I look forward to the after photos.

Haha just heard from Cincymat, turns out both of you guys did restorations on LSI that I'd done the original 'rescue' on. Diz's came from a bar in Center Point Ohio (near W. Virginia) - the story about me traveling to get all four of  them is legendary. Cincy's came from a local industrial salvage place they had been installed in a total dive bar on the eastern side of Indy and featured hidious hanging hardware, completely blown up non-factory Pyle woofers, and a plethora of other oddities.  I think I got the top end back to factory parts and sold them with the LF bins 'as is' so someone could have an opportunity to breathe fire back into a pair of these venerable power houses. I think both of you guys did great jobs on your respective rebuilds and hope they bring you many years of listening pleasure. 

Mark, you did a great job.....almost as good as me..... :P   No, seriously, I went through exactly the same things you did, and I know how much work it is, and how much time it takes....but in the end, extremely satisfying for sure.

Just wondering though, why did you decide to go with a K33, rather than a K43?

The K43 requires either trimming the woofer edge or removing some wood from the bass bin to make it fit. Maybe next time. Just didn't feel confident enough to give it a try.

There is a Pro thread about MWM that shows how I grind down the K43 to fit the MWM or LSI bin. 

Worked on filling the edges of the bass bin today. Got to try my hand at using bondo to rebuild corners. Eight of them to be exact. Here's my very first hand fabricated corner:

image-L.jpg

Sort of proud of myself. 

Here's the front. I filled all the chips and sanded everything. Turned out better than I thought possible.

image-L.jpg

I'm picking up the paint tomorrow on my way home from work. Part Express is on the way home. More or less.  

Mark

Sweet workshop dude, you'll always have fond memories of those days covered in sawdust and bondo when you listen to your LSI! Thanks for posting to this thread, you'll never know how many guys you INSPIRE to do exactly this same thing and we all learn from each other here on the Forum. 

• Like 1

The steel frame K43 fits the La Scala bin without any modifications.  Only the cast version requires modification to the bin.  I have a K43 in my center La Scala for more defined midrange performance.

Thanks for the information! I didn't know there was a steel frame K43. Was only aware of the cast frame version. 

Mark