Look ugly, Sound Good

cincymat

Mark, recheck my post, I added another link.

Still, one of the best step-by-step articles on fixing those beat up cabs was done by forum member Mustang Guy, but I can't find it.  I may send him a PM asking him to help find it.

The Bondo thread! An all time great. If you can find the thread by Mustang Guy please post a link. Anyone ever think to collect all the restoration threads and have the Admins Pin it at the top of this sub-forum? There's a ton of great information here.

Mark

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/152257-badly-beat-up-lascala-restoration-completed/

That's one I couldn't find!  Good search skills, Taz.    :emotion-21:

Daggone Mustang Guy, it's spelled La Scala not LaScala!  No wonder I couldn't find it!  :lol:

Edited by wvu80

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

But, ugly is to the bones.  Especially when it comes to girls, he, he.

Ugly girls need love too.

Have to agree with you there Jason.  We all need love.  Regardless of how we look on the outside.

But the ugly ones appreciate you more.  Well maybe not.

Have to agree with you there Jason.  We all need love.  Regardless of how we look on the outside.

I can handle a little ugly, not a lot. The thing I really can't handle is the FAT ones with the REALLY BIG BUTTS !!

I not picky mind you, I'm 6'3" tall and weigh 220 pounds. I just don't think my women should weigh more than I do, have more facial hair than I do, or have bigger biceps or lats than I do, so call me stuck up !!

Roger

• Like 1

Well this thread took a turn to the dark side. I will start the tear down and refurb tomorrow. Have all the parts, need to get some paint remover and the Bondo. I'm off to buy stuff in the morning, any suggestions? I'm close to a Lowes, Home Depot, and a body shop supplier if I need something special.

Thanks,

Mark

Edited by cincymat

Ok I've started the process on one speaker. I've rewired the terminal cup and replaced the 5 way connectors and fuse holders. One of the fuse holders was cracked so i just did everything. Only burned my finger once on the soldering iron. That's pretty good for me. Then I tore down the top bin and the bottom bin to begin stripping away years of paint. The bottom bin had in descending order, black, brick red, blue green, and the factory black paint on the top and sides. The back, bottom, and inside appear to be factory paint. I'll know for sure tomorrow. I used a paint stripper on the top and sides. It worked fairly well and didn't make as much of a mess as sanding. It did not do anything to the factory paint, I'll have to sand through that. The top bin was factory paint only, except the sides which had been painted over with two company names but I managed to sand through that well enough.

Here's some photos so far:

Top bin:

IMG_0704-L.jpg

IMG_0706-L.jpg

And the base bin after getting through the paint to the bottom color:

IMG_0705-L.jpg

This is going to take just about forever to finish. However, I'm very stubborn (ask my dear sweet wife) and I will see it through.

Mark

Edited by cincymat
  • Like 1

Mark,

Is there a custom cabinet shop near you??

Write down the height and width of your Bass bins. If their wide belt sander is wide enough and the table will drop low enough, you can save a TON of time by applying the Bondo and have them take a light cut off of the front, back, and sides. They can also do the tops and bottoms of the high frequency sections. This should be very cheap to have done, will give you perfectly flat surfaces to work with instead of gouging the surfaces by sanding the same spot to long. You will save a ton of work and have a better result in the end.

Roger

I can handle a little ugly, not a lot. The thing I really can't handle is the FAT ones with the REALLY BIG BUTTS !!

I not picky mind you, I'm 6'3" tall and weigh 220 pounds. I just don't think my women should weigh more than I do, have more facial hair than I do, or have bigger biceps or lats than I do, so call me stuck up !!

Roger

Never cared for Fat myself.  However some guys seem to prefer it.

Even the Roman, Greek, or whatever sculptures of women look too heavy for my preference.

I really don't have room to complain though as I'm 5'11" and working my way down from over 300lbs.

• Like 1

Did a little more work today. Filled some nicks and voids with bondo on the HF bin and sanded everything smooth. Glued some loose edges too. It's ready to be primed. Got all the paint off the bass bin, top, sides, and bottom. Need to start filling and finish sanding it tomorrow. The edges are in incredibly bad shape. Too many years of hard service. So, l ordered metal corner protectors and aluminum trim strips that should look identical to what Klpsch uses. To be clear, it's the trim strips that have the same finish and dimensions as the strips on the HF bin. The corners Klipsch uses seem to be unobtainable as they are custom castings.

I'll post photos later. Watching my Buckeyes stink it up now.

Here are some photos:

Inside front edge of HF bin. Delaminating back as far as faded paint. Used a thin plastic card to get glue under the edge. Clamped and sanded after drying. Smoothed out pretty well.

image-L.jpg

Edge of HF cabinet had lost some of the top veneer. Filled with bondo. Looks OK. Will probably do another coat and sand again. 

image-L.jpg

Bass Bin, every edge looks at least this bad. I'll fill and smooth but ultimately all the edges will get aluminum trim. You eagled eyed fellows will see how round the corner is. Every corner was rotted and had to be taken back to solid wood. Ugly very ugly.

image-XL.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Mark

Edited by cincymat

Worked on filling the edges of the bass bin today. Got to try my hand at using bondo to rebuild corners. Eight of them to be exact. Here's my very first hand fabricated corner:

image-L.jpg

Sort of proud of myself. 

Here's the front. I filled all the chips and sanded everything. Turned out better than I thought possible.

image-L.jpg

I'm picking up the paint tomorrow on my way home from work. Part Express is on the way home. More or less.  

Mark

• Like 2

Looks good Mark, you've done a lot of work to those cabinets. I'm enjoying the pics.

Did a little more work today. Filled some nicks and voids with bondo on the HF bin and sanded everything smooth. Glued some loose edges too. It's ready to be primed. Got all the paint off the bass bin, top, sides, and bottom. Need to start filling and finish sanding it tomorrow. The edges are in incredibly bad shape. Too many years of hard service. So, l ordered metal corner protectors and aluminum trim strips that should look identical to what Klpsch uses. To be clear, it's the trim strips that have the same finish and dimensions as the strips on the HF bin. The corners Klipsch uses seem to be unobtainable as they are custom castings.

I'll post photos later. Watching my Buckeyes stink it up now.

Here are some photos:

Inside front edge of HF bin. Delaminating back as far as faded paint. Used a thin plastic card to get glue under the edge. Clamped and sanded after drying. Smoothed out pretty well.

image-L.jpg

Edge of HF cabinet had lost some of the top veneer. Filled with bondo. Looks OK. Will probably do another coat and sand again. 

image-L.jpg

Bass Bin, every edge looks at least this bad. I'll fill and smooth but ultimately all the edges will get aluminum trim. You eagled eyed fellows will see how round the corner is. Every corner was rotted and had to be taken back to solid wood. Ugly very ugly.

image-XL.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Mark

where did you order the aluminium trim pieces - Panacea or another outfit - personaly I dont care for trim pieces as you have to drill the wood -  Scalas look real good with no trim -