Look ugly, Sound Good

cincymat

where did you order the aluminium trim pieces - Panacea or another outfit - personaly I dont care for trim pieces as you have to drill the wood -  Scalas look real good with no trim -

I ordered it from here:

http://www.orangealuminum.com/bar-stock/angles.html

I measured the trim from my HF bins and ordered the non-anodized mill stock. I'll report back once I receive the trim to let everyone know how close it matches. They carry the angle pieces, not the corners. Near as I can tell no one sells the Klipsch corner pieces. I spoke with Panacea last fall but they weren't up and running yet. I will talk to my Dad about it though. He worked in an aluminium foundry before retiring. Maybe he can point me towards where I can have some made. 

Mark

Another option if you ever want to be able to move them into the house is to have an Auto Body guy spray them in the Candy color of your choice!

Roger

These will be garage speakers for the rest of their hopefully long life. If all goes to plan though they will have a much nicer garage built around them in four to five years. 

Mark

• Like 1

You have a right to proud of yourself. Good work. It appears you are good working with wood so why not try your hand with some veneer. 

Thanks for the kind words. I guess I rate myself as just below average when it comes to woodworking. My brother owns his own furniture company and my Dad was a home remodeler on the side for years and years. I'm not showing either of them these photos! I can only imagine the hours of extra work that would create. 

Once the LSI's are finished I do have a pair old pair JBL bookshelf speakers that need to be veneered. So I'll be trying that soon enough.

Mark

This is getting interesting.  Keep up the good work.

Looks like "Party Time Sound' rode these hard, but you're returning them to their former glory.  

If I were using these in my garage, I'd re-stencil that Party Time Sound logo for posterity's sake.

I was thinking about doing just that! I'm going to stencil KLIPSCH back on the HF motor board so I might as well decorate the bass bins. 

Mark

I restored some former bar beater La Scalas for use in a high school band practice room.  I bought aluminum angle pieces at Home Depot and mitered them by hand.  That was mostly done to avoid having to recreate perfect corners.  After screwing the aluminum in place, I removed it, buttered the corners with black RTV and then screwed everything back in place.  After several years, not a rattle or single piece of loose trim.

I look forward to the after photos.

post-6832-0-85640000-1442844820_thumb.jp

post-6832-0-52040000-1442844835_thumb.jp

post-6832-0-00360000-1442844846_thumb.jp

• Like 4

I restored some former bar beater La Scalas for use in a high school band practice room.  I bought aluminum angle pieces at Home Depot and mitered them by hand.  That was mostly done to avoid having to recreate perfect corners.  After screwing the aluminum in place, I removed it, buttered the corners with black RTV and then screwed everything back in place.  After several years, not a rattle or single piece of loose trim.

I look forward to the after photos.

That is so sweet! Love the delivery vehicle. Had a red Miata the first year they were introduced. Sold it three years later to buy a minivan to bring my twin daughters home from the hospital. They're in grad school now.

Put they first coat of paint on tonight. More photos tomorrow.

Mark

Ok, let's slap some paint on these babies:

First coat Bass Bin:

Top:

IMG_0716-L.jpg

Side:

IMG_0714-L.jpg

Front:

IMG_0711-L.jpg

HF BIN:

IMG_0712-L.jpg

Should have this one playing music by Thursday evening. Need to hit the hardware store to buy new fasteners. 

Starting to look pretty good for being about 40 years old.

Mark

Assembled and playing music! 

Did a little more work. repainted the motorboard to a more consistent finish, painted the screw head the same color, and polished the aluminum trim.

Looks much better, IMHO

IMG_0223-L.jpg

Thanks for looking. I really appreciate everyone's help.

One down, one to go..

Mark

Edited by cincymat

Looks good Mark….nice job resurrecting those speakers.

Thanks. Looking forward to finishing #2 and listening to some music.

Mark

Just finished a #2 myself.

Your project looks like fun.

Are you going to wet sand the finish after it dries ?

Better out than in I always say..

The finish is dry and slightly textured. It's Duratex that I did with a smooth roller. It looks better in person than the photo. The HF motor board is a mess. My neighbor builds his own furniture so I'm asking him if he could make two new pieces. He owes me a favor for the two trees I gave him last year. Wonder what a cherry motor board would look like?

Mark

Edited by cincymat

Its hard to see how thick the trim is in the pictures but maybe some thin plywood (1/8 - 1/4")  with some black stain would match nice or matching finish of that on the cabinet. Cherry may be a little bold on the motorboard but its your project.

Edited by jason str

Its hard to see how thick the trim is in the pictures but maybe some thin plywood (1/8 - 1/4")  with some black stain would match nice or matching finish of that on the cabinet. Cherry may be a little bold on the motorboard but its your project.

I see what you're saying. The space between the trim and motorboard is very small. I'm going to leave it alone until I can get a new one made. I think a rougher coat of Duratex might help until I replace it.

Thanks for looking and sharing your thoughts.

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

Finished the second LSI this morning. She's going without the aluminum bling for now. I wanted to see what it looked like in black.

Here's a quick shot. 

That white fleck in the bass bin  is some misc. garage debris!

image-L.jpg

Here's the garage system, making it's internet debut:

image-L.jpg

Thanks for everyone's help. 

Mark

Edited by cincymat
  • Like 2

Mark, you did a great job.....almost as good as me..... :P   No, seriously, I went through exactly the same things you did, and I know how much work it is, and how much time it takes....but in the end, extremely satisfying for sure.

Just wondering though, why did you decide to go with a K33, rather than a K43?