DIY Subwoofer - lilmike's Cinema F-20 vs lilwrecker

Beechnut

Hey Carl,

What would be your top couple drivers recommendations for the F20?

I am thinking about building 1 (or 2) this fall, then I can get my 2:  25hz Exodus Anarchy Tapped Horns out of the HT room and with my Frugalhorns, where then belong.

• Like 1

Hey Thad,

Ya, the Dayton Ref HF seems to be the "cost effective" option once the MFW-15 drivers were no longer available.

The Tempest-2 got a lot of love if price was not a concern.

Just wondering what in the current crop of drivers might be the best option.

The Dayton is tried and tested.  I'd stay with that.  I haven't looked up what else would work in quite a while.

Thanks Carl,

Makes sense to stick with a proven commodity.

It's a little slow at work today so I drew up a F-20 layout in Illustrator and output a couple size as HPs (one on paper and 1 on acetate).

As I did with my Frugalhorn and 25hz Tapped Horn builds, I will transfer the layout to the BB.

The Dayton is tried and tested.  I'd stay with that.  I haven't looked up what else would work in quite a while.

Thanks Carl,

Makes sense to stick with a proven commodity.

It's a little slow at work today so I drew up a F-20 layout in Illustrator and output a couple size as HPs (one on paper and 1 on acetate).

As I did with my Frugalhorn and 25hz Tapped Horn builds, I will transfer the layout to the BB.

Fancy stuff there!  I'm forced to use a pencil and ruler.

You don't need BB for the F-20.  I believe it's 3/4" as well.

Edited by CECAA850
  • Like 1

Used that as well in both of mine. 

Also used 3/4 inch BB plywood. It is very heavy and not going anywhere, It really is a great sub and super easy to build. Works like a charm with all the big horns I have paired it with including K-horns, La Scalas, and the current quarter pies. 

I was wondering the same Carl, the black cabinet between the F-20 and right KHorn?

My TT stand.  Built it...stone top, 200 pounds of sand in the base.  You can dance in there and not affect the record...nor does a 32' pipe that shakes the rest of the house.

Dave

• Like 1

Great!

You're going to have a lot of Duratex left over.  Plenty for a couple more projects!

Ya, I have a couple other projects that need finishing and figured I would use the Duratex...

I am just finishing up a pair of small speakers that I used a pair of CDT 6.5 Braxial drivers and Xovers that I reclaimed out of my old car.

They are done, other than the grill cloth and giving them a coat of Duratex.

Later this fall I still want to get to my Four Pi speaker build, I have had the Horns, Drivers, and Woofers sitting on my bench for well over a year.

http://www.pispeakers.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/105

Still deciding if I will Duratex my 2 25hz Tapped Horns or I may veneer them in Cherry to match the FHorns.

What is the shelf life like on the Duratex once it is opened?

Great!

You're going to have a lot of Duratex left over.  Plenty for a couple more projects!

Ya, I have a couple other projects that need finishing and figured I would use the Duratex...

I am just finishing up a pair of small speakers that I used a pair of CDT 6.5 Braxial drivers and Xovers that I reclaimed out of my old car.

They are done, other than the grill cloth and giving them a coat of Duratex.

Later this fall I still want to get to my Four Pi speaker build, I have had the Horns, Drivers, and Woofers sitting on my bench for well over a year.

http://www.pispeakers.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/105

Still deciding if I will Duratex my 2 25hz Tapped Horns or I may veneer them in Cherry to match the FHorns.

What is the shelf life like on the Duratex once it is opened?

As long as you keep it air tight it lasts a while.  For extended periods, you can put a thin film of water over it but be sure you mix it in before you use it.  Don't panic when you apply it and it has a blue tint.  It will dry black. 

• Like 1