DIY Subwoofer - lilmike's Cinema F-20 vs lilwrecker

Beechnut

The connection to the wood is my concern.  I know many use this type of connection and it must work well.  Also the desire for a balanced connection is something a lot of people want.  I use a typical avr and the sub out is unbalance so, I don't have a problem with the unbalanced connection.

One day I will have to try the screws to see how much it speeds up the process of putting things together.  Making subs if fun to do!

One day I will have to try the screws to see how much it speeds up the process of putting things together.  Making subs if fun to do!

I like using the pocket screws, I am not sure it saves a ton of time, but you will find that there is a lot less clamping required.

I usually dry fit everything first with just the pocket screws, then if I am happy with how things look I take it all apart and then do final assembly with the PL.

This give a chance to make any required "tweeks" before hand, vs. trying to do them while you have the glue already down.

He it is with just one coat of Duratex

Did you run a round over bit along the edges?  It's hard to tell from the pictures.

Carl,

I was thinking about doing a round over with the router, but I opted to just "ease" all the edges with a little sanding.

Just enough to take the sharp edge off.

Edited by HPower
  • Like 1

The connection to the wood is my concern. I know many use this type of connection and it must work well. Also the desire for a balanced connection is something a lot of people want

It's not a balanced connection, you're thinking of XLR.  I'm talking about Neutrik

• Like 2

I want my drivers back, lol.  I posted a couple of pic's to show how the orbital sander handles the edges.  My subs aren't the same quality of finish as yours but, I a rookie and built them with minimal equipment. :)  Carl delete this if it is to far off topic but, this thread is kinda dead at the moment.

post-50685-0-00700000-1447049205_thumb.j

post-50685-0-29660000-1447049219_thumb.j

post-50685-0-33500000-1447049234_thumb.j

Edited by derrickdj1

Neutrik makes xlr connectors, too. Plus 1/4 inch phone plugs and jacks. I used their PowerCon version for power input to a mixer i rebuilt. Looks/works like the SpeakOn, but is a blue color to differentiate from a speaker connector.

Love your builds, Carl. So clean looking.

Bruce

Edited by Marvel
  • Like 1

Neutrik makes xlr connectors, too. Plus 1/4 inch phone plugs and jacks. I used their PowerCon version for power input to a mixer i rebuilt. Looks/works like the SpeakOn, but is a blue color to differentiate from a speaker connector.

Love your builds, Carl. So clean looking.

Bruce

You would think that he does this for a living!  Always look terrific, and he is a moderator, so I wouldn't say anything different. :P  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I went with the round version... Neutrik NL4MPR, and counter sunk it to flush mount.

My photography skills leave a bit to be desired, it looks better in person.

post-25727-0-21620000-1449148290_thumb.j

post-25727-0-64980000-1449148487_thumb.j

Edited by HPower
  • Like 1

On 12/3/2015 at 8:15 AM, HPower said:

I went with the round version... Neutrik NL4MPR, and counter sunk it to flush mount.

My photography skills leave a bit to be desired, it looks better in person.

attachicon.gifIMG_1168.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_1170.JPG

Neurtrik SpeakOn connectors are all I use after first experiencing them years ago on the La Scalas I installed in a high school band room. I now prefer the round female connectors shown in HPower's post to the square. The round have four holes for connecting screws, whereas the square have only two.

Similarly, I finish everything with Duratex. I like the easy application and durability of the black finish, plus the texture hides a multitude of sins. It's not living room WAF approved, but none of my speakers are, so it doesn't matter. The wife barely tolerates a tiny Klipsch iGroove hiding beneath an end table. But honestly, it sounds pretty good as I type, filling the room with Mannheim Steamroller streamed from Pandora via Bluetooth from this iPad.

• Like 1

Very nice look, clean and professional!

Thanks, now if I could only find some nice black screws.

I only had some brass screws on hand that were the appropriate size. :(

And yes DizRotus, the Duratex is GREAT stuff.

Only your hair dresser knows for sure what goes on under the Duratex. :rolleyes: