DIY Subwoofer - lilmike's Cinema F-20 vs lilwrecker

Beechnut

Thanks, now if I could only find some nice black screws.

Most hardware stores carry them as well as other colored screw heads.

What's a hardware store?  

But seriously, please support your local hardware store.  Purchase items that you could get online or at the box stores, otherwise they won't be around to sell you black flat head screws.  In Royal Oak, MI it's Frentz & Sons.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...

In Royal Oak, MI it's Frentz & Sons.

Spent many hours at Frentz & Sons Hardware back in the day. There still there at Catalpa and Main? Wow, brings back memories.

Yes, they're still there at Main & Catalpa.  They actually help and have knowledge regarding what they sell.

• 1 month later...

Day 1 in the books. Went with 2 Cinema F20s for ease of build, cost and smaller cabinet.

I did precut all my panels, against the advice of Carl. (I'll get smart by doing stupid....)

1 layout is done and both baffles are cut. Did work out the best way to install the hurricane nuts on some scrap wood so that I'll be prepared for that. I didn't want to crack open a tube of PL, just for those, and have to try to seal it back up until I'm ready to do final assemble.

So tomorrow is layout 2, and assemble dry getting all the pocket wholes in place.

Thanks for all the inputs!!

post-47794-0-05200000-1455853767_thumb.j

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...
On 9/13/2015 at 4:26 PM, jason str said:

If pairing up with LaScala's or other shorter bass horn designs avoid tapped horns.

Agreed. Unless it's Josh Ricci's OThorn, which is tapped, uses a killer B&C 21" driver, but with it's typical  "2 octaves of tapped horn"  working 25-110 Hz. and VERY musical.

Having had my original "toe in the water" LAB-20 DIY tapped horn, Danley's DTS-10, Danley DTS-20 (widest band of all), Danley TH-50 (3 currently), and OThorn (currently), I can say the OThorn is the most "musical" while retaining plenty of impact.

There are so many great DYI horn options now, and they ALL trounce any direct radiator (sealed or ported) box and save your electric bill in the process.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

Agreed. Unless it's Josh Ricci's OThorn, which is tapped, uses a killer B&C 21" driver, but with it's typical  "2 octaves of tapped horn"  working 25-110 Hz. and VERY musical.

Having had my original "toe in the water" LAB-20 DIY tapped horn, Danley's DTS-10, Danley DTS-20 (widest band of all), Danley TH-50 (3 currently), and OThorn (currently), I can say the OThorn is the most "musical" while retaining plenty of impact.

There are so many great DYI horn options now, and they ALL trounce any direct radiator (sealed or ported) box and save your electric bill in the process.

I always recommend horns but some don't listen or have their mind set on something else. You know how it is, the customer is always right.

• Like 2

On 9/13/2015 at 3:26 PM, jason str said:

If pairing up with LaScala's or other shorter bass horn designs avoid tapped horns.

I can think of a couple of reasons , depending on the particular TH design in question, but - could you elaborate exactly what you mean. My belle's go down to about 60 Hz unported or 35 Hz ported

Thanks

10 minutes ago, zobsky said:

I can think of a couple of reasons , depending on the particular TH design in question, but - could you elaborate exactly what you mean. My belle's go down to about 60 Hz unported or 35 Hz ported

Thanks

Lower distortion & better sound.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zobsky said:

Thanks

Tapped horns get a little ragged the higher you go.  A Lascala needs a horn that will play cleanly up to the point the Lascals drops off which is high due to it's short bass horn.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zobsky said:

Thanks

Horn loading for the La Scala ends around 100 Hz or so, i recommend crossing over to the sub between 80-100 Hz if you have the option to do so,

The blend is seamless and adds so much depth.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, zobsky said:

Thanks

Yes, I know about the port, but it's still weak bass relative to the Flethcher-Munson or ISO Equal Loudness curves. Plus the IM distortion goes up. But if you are happy, then more power to you. I prefer to have bass that matches the sound of what I hear from a live heavey bass instrument, as close as possible. You don't get that when you are 10 db down. It's even worse when if there is an unequalized 140 Hz PEAK from the LS or Belle.

On 2/16/2017 at 0:45 PM, jason str said:

I always recommend horns but some don't listen or have their mind set on something else. You know how it is, the customer is always right.

Indeed. I just takes way more drivers to try and do what good horn subs do so well, which is LOW DISTORTION at High SPL with way fewer WATTS. Bad trade, but hey let them wallow in their false sense of accomplishment, as long as you get paid.

• Like 1