RP150m sounds whispy

SunnyCoastrunner

I forgot to mention that the whisp is only there when i have volume loud but not to loud for speakers ability. Cd player is actually a dvd player that is rca to tv than optical to denon avr-x1100w

I have also tried dvd/cd direct rca to denon with no difference

I downloaded a track in flac format then bluetooth from Samsung phone with no difference

I can turn treble down to the point it doesn't sound whispy but it sounds terrible

I thought it might of been crossover settings need adjustment but settings wont allow with only 1 pair of speakers connected

I did notice that when i bluetooth an I phone the quality was alot better ???? but whisp was still there.

I thought it might of been the room that setup was in so i tried outside on patio pointing speakers out to large yard but little difference

Im starting to think that i have e home theatre setup that is not designed for playing music???

Just curious... why did you purchase this particular model?  Apparently they sounded good enough to convince you to purchase them.  So do you remember what equipment they were hooked up to during your demo and what music you used?

Are you listening to 2 channel only (with a sub) or do you have a 5.1 setup?

Do you know exactly how "loud" you're listening to them, when they start sounding "whispy"?  This is a relatively small bookshelf speaker... so if you're trying to fill a large room (how big a room?) with just 2 speakers your receiver could potentially be running out of power or you may have just reached the limits of the speaker.

Edited by GPBusa

I am a newby to the finer sounds of quality audio equipment I used to just get drunk and crank the stereo so i will try to explain

Whispy sound when the higher end sounds distorted (symbals and vocals that are high pitch and the letter S sounds like SSSSSSSS)

Hard to explain

When I auditioned the speakers they where powered by a Yamaha amp that was out of my price range and didnt have the bluetooth option so i went for denon avr-x1100w that has 7.2 channel but i only have the pair of RP150m connected

Dont get me wrong it sounds awesome but starts to lose it with a bit of volume.

Hope my description helps with someone offering suggestions

All the 1" reference tweeters do this at first in my opinion.  Seems like they warm up after everything is broken in.  However, they're sharp on the high end of the treble range at all volumes.  It it gets worse starting at a certain volume then it may be amp/receiver related.  

I thought it might of been crossover settings need adjustment but settings wont allow with only 1 pair of speakers connected

I was thinking this as well, but Audyssey should have set them properly, which means if they spec at 60 Hz Audyssey will set them there.  I have heard "wispy" as well but I was thinking that could happen if your XO's were set at 120 Hz or so.

I was also thinking it might have been your Denon AVR.  In the little research I did there are some complaints about that model, but the wispy sound was not one of them.  It sound like you might be getting some sibilance as Schu alluded to further upstream.  ^^^

I was thinking this as well, but Audyssey should have set them properly, which means if they spec at 60 Hz Audyssey will set them there. I have heard "wispy" as well but I was thinking that could happen if your XO's were set at 120 Hz or so.

I was also thinking it might have been your Denon AVR. In the little research I did there are some complaints about that model, but the wispy sound was not one of them. It sound like you might be getting some sibilance as Schu alluded to further upstream. ^^^

Whilst we are on the topic is the audessy setup usually good ?

My Onk 717 has Audyssey 2EQ (3-position testing with the mic) and it absolutely works.  I let Audyssey do the main settings, then I go back and fiddle with it until I completely screw things up.  Then I re-run Audyssey and BAM! great sound again.  :D

• Like 1