Music Lover vs. Audiophile

Mallette

Now if you mix this with some kick *** rock and roll than you have something...

Maybe you should try the William Russo "Three Pieces for Blues Band and Symphony Orchestra" by San Francisco Symphony Orchestra directed by Seiji Ozawa.  May not help. 

I expect a wide range from my music.  Midnight Oil "Beds are Burning" can pin me to the wall and make me boogie.  But it can never cause the kind of total emotional catharsis such as that I experience under certain conditions from music that transcends all time and space.

I recall sitting, just enjoying the space at St. Martin's Church in Houston some time back.  I had noticed some folks sitting up behind the alter screen and heard them talking, but had no idea what they were doing.  Without warning, the massive Schoenstein organ roared into life with Widor's "God Save Thy People" and the brass joined it.  The tears poured and my body was utterly transfixed. 

There is now some 3500 years of music to be heard.  I am making every effort to hear it all. 

Dave

• Like 2

Mike, I love and respect you too much to get into a yowing session.  Seems you ignored my recognition that great modern music has been produced totally artificially.  But if AC/DC doesn't sound right on a system that is designed to play back as accurately as science can provide then I'll do without.  The only possible "standard" can be attempting accuracy. 

As to bring up RIAA and gain riding...these were mandates of physics, not voluntary.  Might as well criticize God:  "What's up with this Fletcher-Munson thing, Lord?  Couldn't you design it flat?"  :P

Dave

Maybe you should try the William Russo "Three Pieces for Blues Band and Symphony Orchestra" by San Francisco Symphony Orchestra directed by Seiji Ozawa.  May not help. 

I expect a wide range from my music.  Midnight Oil "Beds are Burning" can pin me to the wall and make me boogie.  But it can never cause the kind of total emotional catharsis such as that I experience under certain conditions from music that transcends all time and space.

I recall sitting, just enjoying the space at St. Martin's Church in Houston some time back.  I had noticed some folks sitting up behind the alter screen and heard them talking, but had no idea what they were doing.  Without warning, the massive Schoenstein organ roared into life with Widor's "God Save Thy People" and the brass joined it.  The tears poured and my body was utterly transfixed. 

There is now some 3500 years of music to be heard.  I am making every effort to hear it all. 

Dave

I too reach euphoria with certain knids of music. "Skin Orgasm". I love certain kinds of rock, I love certain kinds of blues music, I love a certain kinds of Female Voice "just an example "Nora Jones" I love certain kinds of Male Voice "just an example "Myles Kennedy"

Euphoria

Dave

I too reach euphoria with certain knids of music. "Skin Orgasm". I love certain kinds of rock, I love certain kinds of blues music, I love a certain kinds of Female Voice "just an example "Nora Jones" I love certain kinds of Male Voice "just an example "Myles Kennedy"

Euphoria

If there is video of Nora Jones while singing would even be better, that girl has a spectacular voice and style, and her looks are sexy also.

• Like 1

Dave

Euphoria

If there is video of Nora Jones while singing would even be better, that girl has a spectacular voice and style, and her looks are sexy also.

Oh yeah her voice is "I think" Saultry....Heres a video of her with Bille Joe Armstrong

1. I just have a real hard time believing that there's that many people who just really like this type of music in general, like enough to casually listen to it regularly on a stereo and not just go to quarterly orchestra performances
  • I have had a love affair with classical/orchestral music since I saw Fantasia at 4 years old. 
  • I listen to classical/orchestral music every day that I'm home, over the equipment listed below.  Quarterly concerts really would not be enough, although I enjoy them.  At home, I can play one work, or one movement, over and over again if I like.
  • Classical/orchestral music can, and often does, move me to tears.  The end of Beethoven's 7th, played at about 100 + dB (C weighted, fast), with peaks higher, is the nearest thing to orgasm I know, except for the real thing.
  • I like all other kinds of music, as well, but not as much.  I used to listen to rock at the Fillmore Auditorium and outside in Golden Gate park and also on Haight street the day they closed it for bands and dancing, and loved it.
  • Like 1

Music lover. Some people mistakenly think my forum name is in reference to geology and I can understand that since I live in a town that has a active diamond mine. I came up with Rockhound because I'm always on the hunt for good Rock music. I'm not saying I'm always looking for the next greatest band just good rock music. I'm currently listening to Tremonti's new CD much harder than Creed or Alter Bridge.

Something that really bothers me, and all I want to know about all this, is whether audiophiles actually _really_ like orchestra/symphony type of music or if that's just the only way they can measure their system and get constant feedback that it is correct.

I love symphonic music.  If you don't like it, I don't blame you as there is a lot of sleepy-type music that just puts people to sleep.  Sometimes you have to go through the boring parts to get to the really good stuff.  But there is some really exciting music, rich and full that just makes you want to jump out of your seat when you hear it.

Here's a piece you've never heard of, Shostakovitch Symphony No. 10.  It is 51 minutes of exploring the Soviet Union under Stalin and is mostly depressing (with a few minor exceptions) and it is fairly non-interesting.  Then tune in at 51:32 to the end which expresses in music the joy the Soviet Union experiences when Stalin dies.  It is UN-believable!  Happy music, lots of notes, thunderous brass, and fast!  It will bring you out of your seat.

And here is the reason I love it; this next video is The Cadets Drum and Bugle Corps playing Shosty 10, the finale.  There are no woodwinds, no string section, those parts are all transcribed into brass parts. They are playing while marching forwards, backward and sideways. This piece is difficult enough to play sitting down! 

Playback note:  You will be unimpressed if you listen to this like it's a lullaby.  Play it LOUD, as loud as you can, because that is how it was performed LIVE!  There are over 80 brass players, CRANK IT UP!  (then compare it to the symphonic version)  :)

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 2

I think I'll agree with Dr. Who, the two are not mutually exclusive..... but I don't and cannot consider myself an audiophile, for the simple reason I'm not into the subject of audio component design.... Yet I don't enjoy listening to MP3's because they suck. On a half way decent system, I can always tell the difference between an MP3 and a FLAC recording...... And while I enjoy quality CD recordings, I prefer, enjoy and believe vinyl (most vinyl recordings) is better.

Edited by Gilbert
  • Like 1

Something that really bothers me, and all I want to know about all this, is whether audiophiles actually _really_ like orchestra/symphony type of music or if that's just the only way they can measure their system and get constant feedback that it is correct.

I love symphonic music.  If you don't like it, I don't blame you as there is a lot of sleepy-type music that just puts people to sleep.  Sometimes you have to go through the boring parts to get to the really good stuff.  But there is some really exciting music, rich and full that just makes you want to jump out of your seat when you hear it.

I played classical piano for 8 years and was in band for 7 years where we played quite a bit of it.  So, I'm familiar with some of it.  I guess my issue is that I have A.D.D., and like music to give an adrenaline rush and not last too long.  Investing 50 minutes in sleepy interpretive music isn't really my thing.  The fast paced and shorter Bach songs are doable though, especially when modern artists put a spin on it.  Hard for me to get into the stuff on public radio though.  I like it for background music while driving but I'd never sit down and really study it.  It's interesting that most of the audiophiles are the opposite.  

Hard for me to get into the stuff on public radio though. I like it for background music while driving but I'd never sit down and really study it. It's interesting that most of the audiophiles are the opposite.

Yep, quite the opposite.  Downright dangerous for me to listen to one of those 50 minute pieces that builds towards something like the last movement of Beethoven's 9th and produces something that "adrenaline rush" doesn't begin to describe.  So, I rarely listen to music of any kind in a car.  Mostly news...that's my idea of non-distracting entertainment.

Dave

Again in general, rap is repetitious, monotone, has no instrumentation dynamics, no vocal dynamics, and requires almost zero musical talent to make.  Anyone can play quarter notes.

Have you ever heard Billy Joe Armstrong sing? Zero vocal dynamics. Hell as far as that goes, I think Rhianna is the same way yet she is hailed as a great singer.

I hate to sound racist but to me, there is normal and fun rap, and there is black rap. Black rap primarily exists to regurgitate black culture. Black rap is what you hear when some hooptie rolls up on 22's at the gas station in east St. Louis. It's awful stuff. It isn't compatible with the rap that I like. Look at Young M.C. from back around 1990. College educated guy, thoughtful lyrics, and he couldn't sell records because the inner city didn't understand what phrases like "don't hang yourself with a celibate rope" means. I really enjoy stuff like that, it's clean, thoughtful, and fun. The inner city, not so much.

Good rap in general to me is like a lyrical chess game. It's poetry that's mixed to a fun beat. I really enjoy songs with pop culture references as well. Take Hypnotize by Biggie Smalls for instance... Cabbage, Timbs, gators, Underroos, Starsky and Hutch, DKNY, Moschino, Coogi, Frank White, hidden reference to Christopher Walken, Richie Rich... plus consider the way he intertwines everything... not exactly mindless.

I agree, once rap became commercialized it became devoid of any real talent and is just crap pumped out the least common denominator to sell records. That being said, real Hip Hop has an amazing amount of talent with artists like Atmosphere (Props for the previous post), Aesop Rock, Blue Scholars and even Andre Nickatina who are true poets. There is a difference between speaking about the reality of life in the streets rather than glorifying the gangsta lifestyle.

Biggie definitely had some great lines and told real stories about growing up in the inner city like, "I used to sew tigers on my shirt, and alligators. You wanna see the inside... See Ya Later."

Mac Dre had some great hilarious rhymes back in the day too before the whole, "Hyphy" nonsense- "Went to the kitchen to make a quick snack, salami and swiss piled on the Ritz crack..."   

Anyway, this is probably my favorite Blue Scholars song. Amazing lyrics and social commentary:

I agree, once rap became commercialized it became devoid of any real talent and is just crap pumped out the least common denominator to sell records.

I can literally sit down and listen to the entire "Me Against The World" album by 2pac like some people here study orchestras. Been doing it for 20 years, bought the CD three times due to scratching it up so bad. It never gets old. It may have been the first album where a rapper shared angst and personal problems on a large scale. Really dark, especially given the time period when it came out. Even the Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame recognizes it as one of the top 200 influential albums of all time. This beat out David Bowie, Barbara Streisand, Bob Dylan, Steely Dan, and other big names.

http://web.archive.org/web/20080802040323re_/www.rockhall.com/pressroom/definitive-200/

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

I can literally sit down and listen to the entire "Me Against The World" album by 2pac like some people here study orchestras.

Well, not really music...but I've been doing that with Firesign Theatre now for about 40 years.  Always something new in there I'd missed. 

Dave

• Like 1

I can literally sit down and listen to the entire "Me Against The World" album by 2pac like some people here study orchestras.

Well, not really music...but I've been doing that with Firesign Theatre now for about 40 years.  Always something new in there I'd missed. 

Dave

No, but the fox did.