Bought the wrong speakers on Craigslist due to inaccurate post. Should I ask for my money back? ;)

graham p

Those are the original Forte' not the Forte' II.  The Forte' II had a tractix midrange driver and a larger 15" drone in the rear.  Still a fabulous speaker and one of the best balanced speakers Klipsch has ever produced.

Owned a pair that I purchased in '88 up until 2000 and the only reason I parted with them was to acquire a pair of Oak Lacquer & Cane Belle Klipsch that were being offered for $1K at a local audio store.

Edited by Frzninvt
  • Like 5

Graham P,

First of all, as stated previously, "Welcome to the Forum Friend!"

Next, also previously stated, you have original Forte' model Klipsch speakers in Oiled Oak.

What you have are some very articulate sounding speakers. Although the Forte II model is slightly preferred, they are still a very excellent speaker and you got a GREAT deal on them, their condition looks outstanding from what little I could see.

The Walnut Oiled Veneer is more common, but also more sought after, I have always preferred the Oiled Oak version myself.

dtel, who posted above me has an entire surround sound system made up of all Forte' and Forte'II model speakers.

We hope you continue to come here and post here in the future!

We actually have get together as individuals and as an entire group of forum members to listen to other models of Klipsch speakers or to hear what our model of speakers sound like with other equipment such as tube amps or a better solid state amp.

There is a book available on eBay about Paul Wilber Klipsch, he was an actual genius who started the company but had no heirs. The company has since been sold to a distant cousin and then to Audio Vox in the public sector.

Almost forgot to tell you, those speakers were designed to be placed in corners. If at all possible, place them in the corners and angle them in at whatever angle that the sound from both speakers will cross a foot or two in front of your listening spot. The speakers should be about 12 to 16 inches out from the corners. Play with this to see what works best for the best sound in your room. The placement in the corner really improves bass, angling them in as stated will really enhance imaging at the listening point.

Again..... WELCOME !!

Roger

Edited by twistedcrankcammer
  • Like 6

Congrats and ditto to all the above comments.

Be warned though about admitting this in public.....  the entire world knows that "horns are honky" and looks at Klipsch folks with a bit of disdain.

Enjoy your honk!!

:emotion-21:  :emotion-21:

The original Forte got one of the best reviews ever in either High Fidelity or Stereo Review -- I forget which -- back in the day.  One thing they said was there was no sign of horn throat distortion.  Coytee was kidding, although he and I know there are some misguided audiophiles who think that.  They are probably blindly repeating rumors ... I doubt if they have heard a good horn under proper conditions.  Some horns are better than others, but I have never heard a serious horn emit anything that could be described as a "honk" -- other than recordings of car horns and musical seals in movies and on TV.

EDIT:  The rave review -- possibly the most favorable speaker review Hirsch ever wrote -- of the original Forte you have (I) was in Stereo Review, 1986.  If you search the Klipsch forum for the following thread you will find the two page review in the first two posts: Forte in Stereo Review 1986.    

Edited by garyrc
  • Like 2

As others have noted... you have the original Forte and not the Forte II.  The cabinets are the same size, but here's a picture of each so you can see the visual difference on the front.  Most notably the bigger Tractrix midrange horn on the Forte II.  The other difference is the passive radiator on the back... on the Forte it's 12 inches in diameter and on the Forte II it is 15 inches.  The Forte II is a touch more efficient as well.

Link to Forte... http://www.klipsch.com/forte-floorstanding-speaker/details

Link to Forte II... http://www.klipsch.com/forte-ii-floorstanding-speaker/details

post-12390-0-32940000-1442354775_thumb.j

post-12390-0-62860000-1442354783_thumb.j

• Like 2

You mean to say that everything I read on the internet isn't necessarily true?

I'm shocked!

:o

READ THIS AND BELIEVE IT !!!!

If you don't make it to Hope in April, Kevin and I will have to come beat on you!

I will be holding you and Kevin will be boxing...

You have been duly notified....

Hope to see you in Hope!!

Rog

Those are the original Forte' not the Forte' II. 

Thanks!

Eeek!  

Was identifying the speaker by the dimensions of the cabinet.  Embarresed.

Just got the Crites caps and tweeter for the Forte II in the mail!

:(

Thanks for the help... I would be trying to install the capacitors with out your help!

Hopefully Bob Crites will allow an exchange!

Edited by graham p
  • Like 1

EDIT:  The rave review -- possibly the most favorable speaker review Hirsch ever wrote -- of the original Forte you have (I) was in Stereo Review, 1986.  If you search the Klipsch forum for the following thread you will find the two page review in the first two posts: Forte in Stereo Review 1986.    

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/61434-forte-in-stereo-review-1986/ 

Bill

• Like 2

These poor speakers have now been missidentified at least twice. But "A rose by any other name"...

I feel bad for them! :( I have apologized to them. They have forgiven me and still love me.

Our relationship is intact and I hope it will grow.  I have new tweeters from Bob Crites and should have new Caps coming.

And will work on placement... will be looking for help when I remove two book cases and have more flexibility.

I really haven't heard anything this good in my life, but I know it's just entry level. The whole system: Apple TV+Onkyo+Forte I is about $600.

Again can't believe I have been missing this experience. Haven't had a stereo that I wanted to sit and listen to in 15 years.

Makes me wonder what else I have been missing.

Anyone int the CA, SF Bay Area, near Mountain View, with an great system they might invite me to listen to?

Thanks again for the help all!
Edited by graham p
  • Like 2

Almost forgot to tell you, those speakers were designed to be placed in corners. If at all possible, place them in the corners and angle them in at whatever angle that the sound from both speakers will cross a foot or two in front of your listening spot. The speakers should be about 12 to 16 inches out from the corners. Play with this to see what works best for the best sound in your room. The placement in the corner really improves bass, angling them in as stated will really enhance imaging at the listening point.

Thanks so much!

Can I ping you with more pics and questions when I get to re arranging  the room?   Probably 10 days or more from now.

My wife has given me flexibility if "they aren't wires everywhere".

Does lifting them off the ground improve sound? Risers I guess?

Edited by graham p
  • Like 1

Anyone int the CA, SF Bay Area, near Mountain View, with an great system they might invite me to listen to?

Uh oh guys, I think he got the bug. :D

There's some beautiful Belle Klipsch in cherry veneer with cane grills for sale in your area. See the Garage Sale section.

Welcome to the Forum.

Edited by babadono
  • Like 1

Thanks so much!

Can I ping you with more pics and questions when I get to re arranging  the room?   Probably 10 days or more from now.

My wife has given me flexibility if "they aren't wires everywhere".

Does lifting them off the ground improve sound? Risers I guess?

As far as risers go, we live in the midrange, that is where our voices are, so lifting the speakers to the point where the midrange horn is level with your ears at your listening position is optimal.

Go ahead and send pictures and PM me, or you are free to call me as well 419-231-5494

Roger

Edited by twistedcrankcammer

These poor speakers have now been missidentified at least twice. But "A rose by any other name"...

I feel bad for them! :( I have apologized to them. They have forgiven me and still love me.

Our relationship is intact and I hope it will grow.  I have new tweeters from Bob Crites and should have new Caps coming.

And will work on placement... will be looking for help when I remove two book cases and have more flexibility.

I really haven't heard anything this good in my life, but I know it's just entry level. The whole system: Apple TV+Onkyo+Forte I is about $600.

Again can't believe I have been missing this experience. Haven't had a stereo that I wanted to sit and listen to in 15 years.

Makes me wonder what else I have been missing.

Thanks again for the help all!

Yes, look for others in your area to listen to more gear, but seriously consider coming to Hope, Arkansas in April. There were about 50 of us last year that got together and tour the plant where your speakers were born. There will be gear there and we have a host that has a 610 acre property with 13 ponds, the largest is 85 acres. There are 640 acres in a square mile. Lots of good people to meet, great food and liquid libation! We also feed the factory workers to show our appreciation while we are there and there is a museum to tour and you will get to audition a $12,000 pair of speakers against a pair of $25,000 speakers as well.

Really consider penning yourself in for this, I took my wife, my 15 year old daughter, and my 13 year old Autistic son and we all had a great time!!

Roger