Bought the wrong speakers on Craigslist due to inaccurate post. Should I ask for my money back? ;)

graham p

FYI : Updated tweeters and crossovers

Updated crossovers without removing board. If anyone is interested I could provide more detail.

Just random pictures here:

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/gallery/album/307-forte-i-x-over-replaced-inplace-on-a-forte-ii-board/

ping me at graham.poor@gmail.com

They sound great... and the upgrade improved them.

...but with some others on hearing some harshness in the upper range, hope the crossover and tweeter upgrade would change that, but it didn't.

The rest of my system is entry level maybe that is the issue. Onkyo 8050 and Apple TV.

Still love the sound.

FYI : Updated tweeters and crossovers

Updated crossovers without removing board. If anyone is interested I could provide more detail.

Just random pictures here:

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/gallery/album/307-forte-i-x-over-replaced-inplace-on-a-forte-ii-board/

ping me at graham.poor@gmail.com

They sound great... and the upgrade improved them.

...but with some others on hearing some harshness in the upper range, hope the crossover and tweeter upgrade would change that, but it didn't.

The rest of my system is entry level maybe that is the issue. Onkyo 8050 and Apple TV.

Still love the sound.

Nice job on the Crossovers! I am hoping to learn how to Solder soon.

As for the harshness, its probably your DAC (digital audio converter) or your source material. I couldnt even listen to digital music on my Klipsch speakers until I got a standalone DAC.  The best bet I found for digital music is to get a quality DAC like the AudioQuest Dragonfly and use a streaming service with a WASAPI connection like Fidelify (If you already have a spotify premium account you can download it for free and it has a better connection to your DAC as it bypasses your computer's EQ etc).

http://www.amazon.com/Audioquest-DragonFly-Preamp-Headphone-Version/dp/B00H00VLZQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1449600176&sr=8-1&keywords=dragonfly+DAC

So in the end your stream will look like this:

Fidelify Music Server --> Digital stream to Outboard DAC --> Line level analog input to your Onkyo --> Amplified signal to Speakers.

Also, put your Onkyo into "Pure Audio" mode and it will bypass all the circuitry and tone controls for a better sound.

Edited by twk123
  • Like 1

I have the Crites XO in 1989 Forte OO.  They sound fantastic.  I have heard the Forte I and II's and they are so close in SQ.  Just an all around excellent speaker.  I would not consider them entry level.  They are better than many more costly speakers from other brands.

• Like 1

Nice score!  

Does lifting them off the ground improve sound? Risers I guess?

Yes, it can really help optimize the imaging, but you inevitably suffer a slight reduction in bass.  Solid risers may result in less bass loss than open stands such as the ones in my avatar pic, but either way, you get less reinforcement due to less proximity to the floor.  So if you go with risers/stands, use tone controls or eq.  Deeper corner placement works too, if that's an option.

• 8 months later...

When I bought the model under these, Quartets in 1989 I believe, the Quartets were $1,100 in 1989 Dollars, and I believe the newer version of your speakers which was the Fote' II were $1,400 a pair! So while these are NOT entry level speakers, neither are they at the Top of the Heap in the Klipsch line up. I do however believe they are one of the best bang for your buck and articulate speakers in that price range :)

Roger

• Like 1

Great speakers you have there. Growing up my father had a pair and it was like a concert in r living room. A live performance. He had which I suggested at the time while at the good guys to get because I thought it looked cool was the denon poa 2400 power amp. And he did buy it and boy was that a great match. I would suggest getting something like that amp on the used market if you can.  those r 4 ohm speakers meaning they will demand all the power an amp like that can produce and will result in great sound. 

• 1 year later...