Forte II sound harsh

Kenneky

I m using a NAD 3020 amplifier that sounded good with many other Klipsch speakers that I have owned including CWII, Heresy's, KG4's, RF-3's, and a few others.. These Forte II's are in the same position the others were in.. I've never had this problem with the others.. I listen to vinyl, CD's, MP3's, and my flat screen with an external DAC. Maybe these Forte II's are just revealing all the flaws in the recordings and broadcastings, but I find it hard to believe since my other speakers sounded nice. These speakers are on the verge of sounding very nice, if it weren't for the harsh tweeter.. the bass and mids are very nice..

It may very well be something with the speakers then if Heresy's sounded good on the same gear.

I'd certainly try (for diagnostic purposes) different front end electronics before condemning the speakers.

He said he used different speakers, RSL cg 6.2 (from post 1) and they sounded fine.  I know you Heritage guys like tube amps with your speakers, but I've never heard anybody describe such a harshness in the top end.  I agree it would be helpful to swap amps if he could, but I wouldn't think a Marantz AVR would slaughter the tweeter like that.

The only thing I'm a bit confused on is Kenneky said 

I have connected them to a marantz av receiver and a Yamaha integrated amp with a Sony blue ray player as source.

The Sony is a quality BD player (I have one) but how are the Marantz and the Yamaha amp used?  If the Marantz is used as a pre-amp I would be tempted to run the speakers straight from the Marantz and see if that changes the sound.

I would also check the AVR settings, as the listening modes will HEAVILY influence how the speakers sound.  I have some listening modes in a Pio AVR which absolutely has produced sibilance where other listening modes using the same speakers produces none.

Edited by wvu80

I'm not sure if Harsh is the right word but I do find that mine can be fatiguing depending on the type of music and level of volume. Even if I'm listening to my remastered from the source top notch Analog Productions Norah Jones vinyl album. If she hits some high notes, the Forte II's will grate on your ears a bit. They are at their worst when playing any type of 90's alternative, ei. Pearl Jam, Smashing Pumpkins, etc. I'm sure the recordings weren't all that good but I have a feeling it's more than that. I'm guessing mostly my room.

It is a shame you have to go through so much to get a speaker to sound great. And they do sound great under the right circumstances, but it seems like you pretty much have to have a dedicated listening room with all the fixens to get everything you want to listen to to sound great. Most of us don't have that luxury.

I mostly keep to the acoustic and less heavy music when I'm really trying to enjoy them. Hoping with some more tweaking, someday, they will sound great with everything. I've never really tried any amps other than my refurbished HK 430 and Onkyo AVR. The HK 430 blows the Onkyo away I have to say.

I have found that toeing them in in front of my listening position helps to tame them. It also helps if they are only toed in slightly, almost straight forward. They sound better in front of the LP though. Pointing them right at your ears, or close, is the harshest. I've also raised them 13 inches on some custom built stands to get the midrange more at ear level. That has helped.

Edit: I also have Crites new crossovers as well as titanium tweeter upgrades.

Edited by vondy

The titanium tweeter upgrade really does smooth out the tweeter response and a very worthy upgrade. If you plan on keeping the speakers might as well send the crossovers in for a re-cap just to be safe or order brand new ones if you have the extra cash. I can't image that the Forte II should sound any more "harsh" than the other models you've listed so all things being equal I'd say something is wrong with your speakers.

Klipsch does not respond favorably using inexpensively made amplifiers. High efficiency pushes everything up, including distortion. Low distortion figures do not mean that the amplifier will sound clean. This is complicated, so I will just leave it at that - but if it sounds bad, it's bad.

On the speaker end: the original Mylar capacitors are getting up in years. All that have been measured, measure terribly. Yes, the designs are good, but the capacitors do need replaced.

Edited by Crankysoldermeister
  • Like 1

I think a lot of it comes down to source material. I go through that as well with my Infinity towers. Some recordings come across as brash while others tame beautifully. Try a variety of cd's and blurays to see if the others sound better. It sometimes takes a lot of time to play around with a room and situate everything perfectly to get proper balance....I am not a patient person and it drives me insane sometimes!

• Like 1

I think a lot of it comes down to source material. ...  Some recordings come across as brash while others tame beautifully. Try a variety of cd's and blurays to see if the others sound better. It sometimes takes a lot of time to play around with a room and situate everything perfectly to get proper balance....I am not a patient person and it drives me insane sometimes!

Agree!  Often a tweeter or mid is blamed for what comes out of it when the problem may be what is going into it -- source or amplification distortion that is masked by other speakers.

OTOH, if the Heresies were both in the same position re: the walls and the same height off of the floor (tweeters the same height), the Forte II should not sound harsher, so something may be wrong with them.

Make sure there are absorbers of some kind at all first reflection points, including a rug on the floor in front of the Forte IIs at the point the sound from the tweeter bounces off the floor and into your ears when you are in the main listening position.

Edited by garyrc

I've never really tried any amps other than my refurbished HK 430 and Onkyo AVR. The HK 430 blows the Onkyo away I have to say.

Which Onk AVR do you have?  Mine is an Onk 717 (2012-13 model) and it sounds great with my CF-4's, but the CF-4 does not respond as nicely to the tube amps like the Heritage speakers do.

I've never really tried any amps other than my refurbished HK 430 and Onkyo AVR. The HK 430 blows the Onkyo away I have to say.

Which Onk AVR do you have?  Mine is an Onk 717 (2012-13 model) and it sounds great with my CF-4's, but the CF-4 does not respond as nicely to the tube amps like the Heritage speakers do.

TX-NR609

Sounds fine for HT just not as good for 2ch. The HK 430 has more of a live presence to it. It seems faster, tighter, more detailed, punchier, etc.

I'd love to try some tubes someday when money permits it.

• Like 1

I separated the speakers the same distance as the listening position, 9 ft., and I slightly towed them in from front facing. One is about 2 ft from corner and the other far away from a corner. Both are about 9" from back wall. Imaging is really good, all music in center. Removed the covers, turned down the volume and put in mono mode. Placed a paper towel roll to my ear and each tweeter and mid horn. No sound coming out of the left speaker tweeter. The diagram around the outer edge is black in color on the dead tweeter and the good tweeter in right speaker outer diagram is an orange looking color. Took pics but don't know how to upload them here.