What Klipsch Pro for Surround and Atmos?

davecraze

I am putting together a system for a new dedicated room (14w x 20l x 11h) - Planning on a 7.4 atmos set up - 100% movies.

The front LCR will be KPT-325m, but I am having trouble deciding on the surrounds and atmos speakers.

Should I do four KPT-8000m for side and rear surrounds and four more KPT-8000m on the ceiling for atmos? Alternatively, should I do four KPT-8000m for rear and side surrounds and four KPT-801 on the ceiling for atmos?

Sub will be a JTR Orbit Shifter to keep the entire system horn loaded.

Any suggestions would be appreciated on the best way to proceed. It's my first foray into pro cinema speakers so I am pretty psyched.

-David

• Like 2

I would do all 8000's to match. And also just so you know the whole system will not be horn loaded. Orbit shifter will be a great sub but only your tweeters and sub will be horn loaded your "mid" woofers in all of them will be direct radiating. But will still be a sweet system. I have a very similar setup with different subs. Jtr is too rich for my blood.

• Like 2

Are there any LCR options that are fully horn loaded that are under 13 inches deep?

no sir. see the thing with horns are they are huge when it comes to the low frequency. dont worry much about it. them kept-325's are gonna be bad to the bone. what have you owned previously?

id even almost recommend against the jtr subwoofer since its so much money. you can get two subs easily for the price of that one. and id take two subs over a single one anyday! 

3600 for a single ORRR you could get two of the cap 1400's for 200$ more. might even be able to call and talk to jeff and get a bit of a deal!

I have had a few dedicated home theater set ups before (definitive tech and then a sonance ultra thx inwall setup), but never one based on horn speakers.

I am still mulling the sub choice. If I get two, they will be co-located, so I will not be utilizing a major benefit of having two subs. 

Current choices are (i) Orbit Shifter, (ii) two Cap 1400s or and (iii) two Reaction Audio Gamma 21s. Frankly, I am pretty indifferent on the sub selection. Any of those choices should destroy in my relatively small room and I don't even run my systems hard anyway. Would also be fine with a couple of Reaction Audio Echo 18s.

Hey Gorm, thanks for the response. Your 8060h look fantastic. What are are you using to power your surrounds?

My only hesitation on the 8060h would be using them for atmos on the ceiling. Seems like a 90x90 horn (8000m) would be closer to to the dolby spec vs the 60x90 horn of the 8060h. I may be overthinking that, though, as I am sure that eight 8060h surround and atmos speakers in a 3000 cubic foot room would be over the top regardless of the atmos speaker horn pattern.

One thing I noticed is that the compression driver seems to be the same between the 8000m and 8060h - it's just the horn that is different. Am I misreading that?

Hey Gorm, thanks for the response. Your 8060h look fantastic. What are are you using to power your surrounds?

My only hesitation on the 8060h would be using them for atmos on the ceiling. Seems like a 90x90 horn (8000m) would be closer to to the dolby spec vs the 60x90 horn of the 8060h. I may be overthinking that, though, as I am sure that eight 8060h surround and atmos speakers in a 3000 cubic foot room would be over the top regardless of the atmos speaker horn pattern.

One thing I noticed is that the compression driver seems to be the same between the 8000m and 8060h - it's just the horn that is different. Am I misreading that?

Different horn, and I'm pretty sure its a different woofer driver as well.

The front three i built are extremely efficient. At the moment I just have them powered from my AVR (Denon 4311) and every speaker is working great. They still have the same level of detail and impact that they did when being driven by the XPA-5. Also, they are far easier to balance as well.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I bought two orbit shifter LFs from someone on avsforum yesterday, so I guess I'm good to go in the sub department. I will be forced to go professional cinema speakers now haha! Sucks to not currently have a room to install all the gear in, but gives me more time to plan.

• 2 weeks later...