Tiny House HT Build

K5SS

So I recently broke up with a long time girlfriend (good thing) and I decided to organize my priorities. I decided to downsize my lifestyle so I can travel more and save more at the same time. I just purchased a 550SF tiny house on Lake Washington. I unloaded a ton of furniture and items that I never used, I thought I would miss living in a much larger house but this has been the best move and I am super happy. 

The goal is to buy 2 more small houses in the next 2 years and use them as rental properties. I would even like to buy some land and develop a 10-12 tiny house community but that is a ways down the road. Anyway enough with the boring stuff;)

My first shipment of new gear arrived today:

Klipsch.jpg

Here is a list of the components: 

Sony 70" LED TV

Panamax M5100-PM

Yamaha Aventage RX-A1010 (soon to be replaced)

Oppo BDP-103

Xbox One

Klipsch RP-600M x 4

Klipsch RP-450C

klipsch RP-140SA x 2 (might get 2 more)

Reaction Audio Gamma 15 (on the way)

My main reason for this build thread is to finally spend some time calibrating and graphing the room response. I have had over 10 different high end home theater systems over the last 4 years and I have never used anything to measure the performance except for various on-board receiver calibrations. Time to take the next step, hopefully with the help of the much more knowledgeable folks here.

First of many questions:

I need to know what to buy to help me tweak the system and share the graphs with you fine gents?

70" TV in a tiny house, Doubles as a wall  :D

Seriously though,  although not exactly by choice we (wife, myself, and 2 boys) have lived in a motorhome for almost 3 years now, It sure is easy to clean  B)

Look forward to seeing pics of the space, I have been contemplating building in some speakers

• Like 1

So not gonna lie. That camera is one of the coolest things I have seen in a while.

Hope you like the setup. I wasn't a fan of that center channel myself. The bookshelves are sweet for music. Let us know how that sub is! Excited to hear your thoughts since you've had a lot of good subs. Although new space so may be a totally different view on it anyways. :)

Most guys will say use rew and get a calibrated mic. I took the easier route and bought a omnimic from parts express. It does everything I need and way more crap I have no clue about. Lol

Edited by Scrappydue
  • Like 1

Sweet !! New gear & new space is always an exciting fresh start. I've seen a number of the Tiny House programs & the down-sizing concept is kinda cool with great attention to customization & organization. Cool that HT is still a viable priority in your new space. Great opportunity to create a powerful impact. The new RP Center & 140's should be killer in that space. Congrats. 

I thought I saw your picture on the wall, but realized it was actually Tom Cruise. (lol) Great demo with the 3D camera.

• Like 1

Thanks guys, pretty excited actually!

I wasn't quite sure if I wanted to jump on the Atmos craze right now but after watching a few YouTube videos, I pulled the trigger. It sounds like the flat 8' ceiling will make an ideal candidate for the effects. Now I just need to read up on the new HDCP 2.2 and HDMI 2.0a capable receivers. So far, I am leaning towards a Yamaha Aventage RX-A3050 or a Pioneer Elite SC-97.

Oh, I almost forgot. A special thanks goes out to MetropolisLakeOutfitters for the killer prices and great communication during the entire order! I would advise anyone here to contact him to get pricing before you place any Klipsch orders. Great guy!

Edited by K5SS
  • Like 2

Your place looks lovely and very organized.i lived in a mobile home that I bought here in Yellowknife back in the early 80s; one of the old 12 wides. First place after leaving home and I loved it. Nowhere near as nice as this.

The new RP gear looks great and if is as good or better than the Reference II models they replaced you will be more than satisfied.

• Like 1

Added another piece to the puzzle today:

20150920_213204.jpg

I have owned many Emotiva amps over the years including XPA-3, UPA-7 and XPA-5. I did a side by side comparison between the UPA-7 and XPA-5 and I couldn't tell the difference in power.

This thing is probably overkill in my 250 SF space but I got nervous reading about the crazy independence drops that the Klipsch Reference speakers had in a recent test over on AVS.

• Like 1

Not a fan of TH movement (I am old enough to use the first name"full time RV'ng" but in a custom trailer) but I am not living there so Congrats on the new "space" I truly wish for it to be everything you want and need. It should not take much power to sound good in there

This Tiny House is not movable. It has a normal foundation and all. I live in a very expensive city, this little 500 SF house was $185K and I got a killer deal. Haha!

Edited by K5SS

Added another piece to the puzzle today:

20150920_213204.jpg

I have owned many Emotiva amps over the years including XPA-3, UPA-7 and XPA-5. I did a side by side comparison between the UPA-7 and XPA-5 and I couldn't tell the difference in power.

This thing is probably overkill in my 250 SF space but I got nervous reading about the crazy independence drops that the Klipsch Reference speakers had in a recent test over on AVS.

ah don't believe the hype. I've ran rf-62

Home theater rf-63 home theater both on that little baby denon 1713 I had. And it did fine. In fact I even ran the palladiums on it for about two weeks. And they are all 4 ohm speakers.

I agree with you Scrappy, I just let the articles get to me and I have decided to eliminate all possible "weak links". I am probably going to buy an SC-97 when my Magnolia finally gets them, if that happens, I will likely be selling the Emotiva and Yamaha Aventage.

Got another Amazon shipment today. Decided while I was at it, I might as well replace all my old HDMI and speaker cables. Also picked up some new movies and a new game. Fun shipment!

20150923_182245.jpg

Edited by K5SS
  • Like 1

Certainly not the same for every application... but my hdmi cables were around 9+ years old. It wasn't until I attempted to play (high bandwidth) 3D Blu-rays , that I realized my hdmi cables were due for an upgrade (ghosting issues via 3D playback with the old cables). Back in the early days of hdmi... I fell into the "expensive" hoodoo voodoo hdmi trap & purchased expensive hdmi with RF stoppers, yada, yada. (lol).  I now have the same inexpensive high speed Mediabridge hdmi cables that support the current high bandwidth spec & all ghosting during 3D playback was eliminated. I could have purchased a dozen Mediabridge cables for the price of just one of the "other brand". I also (now use) 14awg Mediabridge speaker wire, as well as Mediabridge RCA's & they perform excellent & offer tremendous value. Funny with all the gear we own... we can still geek out & get excited about something as pedestrian as cables (at least I do).

Look forward to your impressions with your new calibration skills... but more importantly how the new set up sounds in the new space. The Reactor should be impressive in the room. My dual drive 15" PSA & my (2) 12" SVS SB-2000's are going back (each for different reasons) & I have (2) single driver 15" coming to replace them. Your choice of an SC 97 is excellent, with plenty of power, speaker inputs & sound formats.

• Like 1

Here are some "installed" photos on my new RP-160M. Figured it would help some of you guys putting them on bookshelf speakers.

20150928_194016.jpg

Not really happy with the finish. I think should have carried the wood over to the sides of the Atmos modules. I am a little ODC and this might drive me a little crazy.

20150928_194036.jpg

20150928_194110.jpg

• Like 1