The right saw for box building

Scrappydue

ok so did some quick adding up with what is available on amazon. 

makita saw with two 55" rails, rail connector, two clamps for rail, and a 100$ random shop vac comes to 668.80$

Dewalt saw with a 59" a 102" rail, two clamps, and a dealt vac (just to match lol) comes to 812.73

festool saw, two 55" rails, rail connector, two clamps, and the ct mini dust extractor comes to (drum roll)  :(  1469$ 

now i am sure i could shop around and get the machete and dewalt options a bit cheaper but the festool seems to be solid on price no matter where i look. 

Carl, you got any leads on good places or good times of the year to buy festool?

How much is that damn vacuum, heres the saw for 640.00 and the rails and clamps for about 150 on amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Festool-TS-55-REQ-Track/dp/B00C2AKZCO

unless there is a bigger trac saw you are looking at. using your estimate that would place a vacuum at around 800....................I think I could press the on off button for the rest of my life for that kind of $$  :D

• Like 1

Answered my own ?? about the vacuum, add the term dust extractor to a shop vac and the price gets crazy

I can see paying for the saw but The vacuum is not something I would pay for, I would get the auto switch and a smallish cheap vac.................I get the HEPA and all that but you could wear a dust mask a heck of a lot cheaper, Hell the savings on the vac would buy the material for 2 or 3+ of the boxes you want to build

Have fun with it

Checkout Harbor Frieght.  They have some good prices

uhhh no lol not a junk collector 

lmao  I have a family member that buys all his power tools there , he says it has a warranty and he don't mind making 100 trips a year to exchange the crap .  :emotion-45:

Checkout Harbor Frieght.  They have some good prices

uhhh no lol not a junk collector 

lmao  I have a family member that buys all his power tools there , he says it has a warranty and he don't mind making 100 trips a year to exchange the crap .  :emotion-45:

I hear ya….I'm proud to say I've never took a step inside that place.

It seems if you are spending over 1k you might as well look at vertical panel saws.  I don't know which of the cheap ones are good though.  I miss my Dad's... !@$!@$ tornado!   They take up some room but his fit nicely between the cars in the garage.  Unfair comparison maybe since his garage was oversized.  

That panel saw was a dream!  We would rip cut on the grizzly table saw and cross cut on panel saw... and there was plenty of room to work.  Now I have a tiny workspace that makes it tough to even move around.

• Like 1

How much is that damn vacuum, heres the saw for 640.00 and the rails and clamps for about 150 on amazon

unless there is a bigger trac saw you are looking at. using your estimate that would place a vacuum at around 800....................I think I could press the on off button for the rest of my life for that kind of $$ :D

For saw. Two rails at 129 each. Clamps are 39 each. And vac is 475

festool saw, two 55" rails, rail connector, two clamps, and the ct mini dust extractor comes to (drum roll)  :(  1469$ 

Building smallish sealed boxes like you are wanting to do, there's no reason for those extra rails.  I wouldn't do that at first.  Just make the short 48" cut first and get enough rails to let you do that.  Way more expensive to cut long ways.  

Vacuum... if you're doing out in the driveway, who cares.  The vacuums are awesome inside of a wood shop and doing it all the time.  Otherwise put a mask on and do it outside.  Drywall goggles and a $2 mask helps a ton.  

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

unless there is a bigger trac saw you are looking at. using your estimate that would place a vacuum at around 800....................I think I could press the on off button for the rest of my life for that kind of $$ :D

For saw. Two rails at 129 each. Clamps are 39 each. And vac is 475

I thought the 640 included the first 55" rail....................Guess not 

"Hello, The Festool TS55 REQ Track Saw does come with a 55" Guide Rail. If the item was ordered from Acme Tools and you did not receive it please contact our Customer Support department. Thank you, Acme Tools Customer Support"

wouldnt this mean if you want to cut 8 feet / 96 inches only 1 additional rail at 55" is required ?? that would get you out to past 9 feet  :D 

"Hello, The Festool TS55 REQ Track Saw does come with a 55" Guide Rail. If the item was ordered from Acme Tools and you did not receive it please contact our Customer Support department. Thank you, Acme Tools Customer Support"[/size]

wouldnt this mean if you want to cut 8 feet / 96 inches only 1 additional rail at 55" is required ?? that would get you out to past 9 feet

:D[/size] [/size]

You'll need the 75 inch extension to rip 8 ft. The saw needs to hang over each end.

Edited by CECAA850
  • Like 1

really 110 inches of rail is not enough to cut 96 inches ?? thats a lot of hang over, 75 + 55 130 inches long translates to 17 inches overhang on each end that seems excessive and cumberson to move around it

why would it need that much ?? (just curious not being an AZZ) 

Edited by joessportster

festool saw, two 55" rails, rail connector, two clamps, and the ct mini dust extractor comes to (drum roll) 1469$

It seems the hypocrisy is strong in this thread (this is tongue in cheek, don't get offended).  Look at how much members here pay for gear.  A $750 DAC when your computer sound card will work just as well?  Heritage speakers when Synergy's will do the job?  Jeesh.  You get what you pay for. 

• Like 2