The right saw for box building

Scrappydue

Track saws are great but if you're cutting full sheets or large panels a good table saw is essential

Track saws are great but if you're cutting full sheets or large panels a good table saw is essential.

I couldn't disagree more.

Building cabinets 30+ years and never had a problem.

Any good straightedge and circular saw can replace a tracksaw.

cant be more right than that -but it does require one to be skilled -

Scrappy, are you looking to buy this tool and use it a lot? Or just for your 4 boxes? You might consider renting a track saw. Rent it for a day and make all your long cuts.

well i have 6 total boxes to build. 4 to replicate what i already have and then 2 very special boxes  :ph34r:

but then i plan on using the saw for any future products. more shelving for my blu rays. a new entertainment center. might look into building my own dining table as i have a bunch of friends that have built their own lately and i love them. so this will be a tool i will use a lot hopefully. 

If you have all that to build, and continually have more projects, buying would be better, we all love to but good tools correct?

Just curious…..what are the two "special boxes"?

Scrappy, are you looking to buy this tool and use it a lot? Or just for your 4 boxes? You might consider renting a track saw. Rent it for a day and make all your long cuts.

well i have 6 total boxes to build. 4 to replicate what i already have and then 2 very special boxes  :ph34r:

but then i plan on using the saw for any future products. more shelving for my blu rays. a new entertainment center. might look into building my own dining table as i have a bunch of friends that have built their own lately and i love them. so this will be a tool i will use a lot hopefully. 

If you have all that to build, and continually have more projects, buying would be better, we all love to but good tools correct?

Jubilees maybe - or Palladium -he aint saying

• Like 1

Jubilees maybe - or Palladium -he aint saying

That's a good one :D

yeah jub, not happening. palladiums, not happening either. lol

just  couple different sub boxes is all. nothing that special. they will be shallow, wide, angled boxes for placement behind my couch. so ill have the two stacks of 4 up front a then 2 right behind the couch. 

I'm sure I'll leave some out but I own Dewalt, Craftsman, Hitachi, Bosh, Skill and Festool power tools.  They all work well.  Best bang for the buck might be the Dewalt stuff.  They're well made and do a good job.  None of them are the caliber of tool that the Festool is.  Are they overpriced, yes.  Are they better and more accurate, absolutely, without a question.  There's a lot I never even touched on like the soft start, the ability to plunge cut, the motor that keeps constant rmp regardless of load, the ease of changing saw depth, etc.  I once checked the bevel gauge with a protractor and it's dead on, set it where you want it and it makes a perfect angle.  It was great building the BFM stuff with it as he has a lot of weird angles in his designs.

I strongly Disagree with the Dac comment

Joe, you have to admit, they both change digital to analog, which was my point.  Of course, the DAC is the better tool for the job ;)

hey carl, so the 55 req is 640 and comes with a TS 55" rail. the TS 75 is 750 and comes with the 75" rail. is there any benefit in your opinion of the bigger saw? 

• 3 weeks later...

little update to this thread. i have bought all the tools needed to build some boxes very soon. i am the new owner of a festool track saw, festool orbital sander, and a festool dust extractor. also grabbed me a jasper jig, dewalt fixed and plunge routers and a few bits to get me started. also ordered 12 30" clamps just now too. so i have 4 to build for a friend before i start on mine. excited about this. after this i may be starting on a special project in my living room. something that will contain 3 lcr speakers and still have room for a rack or two in between. just have to worry about boxes first, then i will start looking into hardwoods for entertainment centers. 

• Like 2

Checkout Harbor Frieght.  They have some good prices

uhhh no lol not a junk collector 

lmao  I have a family member that buys all his power tools there , he says it has a warranty and he don't mind making 100 trips a year to exchange the crap :emotion-45:

I have a buddy who uses the HF stuff exactly the same way and he swears by it!  He says its a new, free saw (or whatever) every year!

+++

EDIT:  My post ^^^ is a little late, sorry about that.

Congrats on the Festool choices.  Anytime I get in on a power tool talk all the guys who have the Festools just rave about them. 

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 1

Practice on your buddies boxes first :D

Funny how this stuff actually does take some practice. You can do it right the first time but it takes forever and you'll second guess yourself pretty often and probably wish you did it a different way afterwards.