T

Axz Hout

I am a dinosaur  as a tweeker BUT       This this Woofer has the best sound/tone  for a 15in driver  EVer...  I have EV EVM 15Ls in my Belle surrounds.

Like this woofer bumps as a center/channel (-3dB to start)  and sounds better than K anything.  :)

If you will recall, I originally designed my Quarter Pie bass horns with this woofer. It is more efficient and the greatest benefit is in extending the midrange performance of the bass bin, where our hearing is most sensitive. I had them in my Peavey FH-1's for years (what I call a "cheap Scala" and a much better W horn horn than the Klipsch version, but I digress and it ain't real Klipsch.

It greatly improves detais for sure, but you can't buy one new. It has to be an old frame with a recone, which is why I found the Eminence Kappa 15C to be a cheaper and more available alternative with similar perfomance in the mids. and a little bit better bass.

Yes  - the EV EVM 15B is an old woofer,  I got this one on eBay for $35  and reconed it myself. 

http://www.soundspeakerrepair.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=SSR&Product_Code=EVM-15B-Recone-Kit&Category_Code=KIT

I also have the EV EVM 15L  (4 of them)   the 15L sounds ok,  but the B has a better sound/tone in my LaScala.  More woof to it.  :)

thanks for the info -

I am a dinosaur  as a tweeker BUT       This this Woofer has the best sound/tone  for a 15in driver  EVer...  I have EV EVM 15Ls in my Belle surrounds.

Like this woofer bumps as a center/channel (-3dB to start)  and sounds better than K anything.  :)

If you will recall, I originally designed my Quarter Pie bass horns with this woofer. It is more efficient and the greatest benefit is in extending the midrange performance of the bass bin, where our hearing is most sensitive. I had them in my Peavey FH-1's for years (what I call a "cheap Scala" and a much better W horn horn than the Klipsch version, but I digress and it ain't real Klipsch.

It greatly improves detais for sure, but you can't buy one new. It has to be an old frame with a recone, which is why I found the Eminence Kappa 15C to be a cheaper and more available alternative with similar perfomance in the mids. and a little bit better bass.

Claude - since we are on the subject  now which is best  overall for detailed mids and more bass -a K43 ---EV 15B - or Eminence Kappa 15C

Yes  - the EV EVM 15B is an old woofer,  I got this one on eBay for $35  and reconed it myself. 

http://www.soundspeakerrepair.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=SSR&Product_Code=EVM-15B-Recone-Kit&Category_Code=KIT

I also have the EV EVM 15L  (4 of them)   the 15L sounds ok,  but the B has a better sound/tone in my LaScala.  More woof to it.  :)

ev15b-600.jpg

you said it right -

I see you also changed the wiring of the speaker - so that should also be a plus here , versus the lamp cord -

The first modification I did was to add 2 pieces of 3/4  plywood to strengthen the box,  it is very solid with  2 1/4 in  vs  3/4in sides.

attachicon.gifLaScala.jpg

I see that now - you say you used regular plywood or was it birch -  how did you glue all these together - you added brad nails as well - I suppose - did you add any plywood to the top portion of the Scala bin - since I see that it is split -

Glad to hear it sounds nice. Always liked EV and wish they would get back into home audio. Had a great pair of Cs back in the 80s. Hard to find them these days and those you do didn't hold up well. At some point I hope to come across some nicely restored Interface Ds, perhaps my favourite speaker of all time.

Edited by YK Thom

At some point I hope to come across some nicely restored Interface Ds, perhaps my favourite speaker of all time.

Just about a year ago, I gave my pair to my wifes nephew.  Included an extra pair of VMR's and ST-350's to boot.  

Edited by Coytee

Okay, based on this thread I picked up some NOS EVM 15 Bs for my home system - here's hoping they work as good as advertised here!

Nice find,  what enclosure are you upgrading..and what results are you expecting. :)

They will go in three heavily re-worked La Scalas (front L/R/center) and two Belles (L/R surrounds).  I am looking for better bass than the stock (mismatched) woofers that came with the existing cabinets.

Edited by spezjag