T

Axz Hout

Okay, what are the specific changes that need to be made for these 8 ohm speakers to work properly?  Specifically, I have been advised that:

1.  I don’t want to use an 8ohm woofer in your speakers. 

2.  There’s a proper design, based on the T/S parameters for the driver, that works in these folded horns.  The most important part of the design, is that it be a 4ohm driver (unstated as to why). 

3.  If I replace the standard 4 ohm woofer with an 8ohm woofer , I will:

a.  cut the output sensitivity of the speaker by 3db, which will require twice the power input to attain the same output level. 

b.  need to attenuate the mid-range and tweeter down by 3db, which will affect the sound quality of the mid-range and high frequency output. 

c.  I will also spend more money on figuring out what to do with the crossovers to get the system balanced properly.

My adviser's concern is that in the end, this will be an exercise in frustration for me and I'll just end up going back to a 4 ohm woofer.

Thoughts?

Okay, based on this thread I picked up some NOS EVM 15 Bs for my home system - here's hoping they work as good as advertised here!

Nice find,  what enclosure are you upgrading..and what results are you expecting. :)

They will go in three heavily re-worked La Scalas (front L/R/center) and two Belles (L/R surrounds).  I am looking for better bass than the stock (mismatched) woofers that came with the existing cabinets.

You will NOT get better bass. The only way to do that is to build a Quarter Pie bass horn. You will get better mids, however.

Claude -

See my post immediately above yours - based on what you wrote in this and your other thread, my thought was that you believe the EVM is a better choice than the standard and Crites woofers - did I misinterpret your comments?

Thanks in advance!

Okay, what are the specific changes that need to be made for these 8 ohm speakers to work properly?

All these things come to play, unless you use magic. The center channel is set up as one, the front L and R are not the same as the rear L and R even If you have the same box and drivers for all 5 systems. IMHO.
Apologies, but can you explain your answers a bit more? I have EVM 8 ohm 15Bs ready to put into my system, but am concerned that the changes required are pretty extensive in order to set up the speakers properly.

My cabinets are braced, so the resonance issue you identify should not be an issue.

When I said "better bass," I did not mean a ton more, but tighter. Sonic quality is more important to me than quantity, so recreating sound is more important to me than making it.

I appreciate your comments regarding the need to ensure that each individual speaker is properly set up, and that I cannot rely on one setting to serve them all.

Thanks for your comments - any further advice is greatly appreciated!

Edited by spezjag
  • Like 1

At some point I hope to come across some nicely restored Interface Ds

A lot of technology in these. Good luck with your quest!

RBPKpjh.jpg

They really were something. If someone at EV went barking mad and reissued a limited edition release I would camp out overnight (a la my youth and Stones tickets), to get a pair. Always loved Klipsch and EV which is logical I suppose as there was a certain amount of of overlap.

Are those yours?

Edited by YK Thom

Okay, what are the specific changes that need to be made for these 8 ohm speakers to work properly?

All these things come to play, unless you use magic. The center channel is set up as one, the front L and R are not the same as the rear L and R even If you have the same box and drivers for all 5 systems. IMHO.
Apologies, but can you explain your answers a bit more? I have EVM 8 ohm 15Bs ready to put into my system, but am concerned that the changes required are pretty extensive in order to set up the speakers properly.

My cabinets are braced, so the resonance issue you identify should not be an issue.

When I said "better bass," I did not mean a ton more, but tighter. Sonic quality is more important to me than quantity, so recreating sound is more important to me than making it.

I appreciate your comments regarding the need to ensure that each individual speaker is properly set up, and that I cannot rely on one setting to serve them all.

Thanks for your comments - any further advice is greatly appreciated!

To ADD to the confusion - you have 5 similar speakers. are your passive crossovers the same? (ie AA)
All the crossovers will be replaced with modern units - New Volti crossovers; but how to set them up in s one of my major questions.

The 15B is very close to a draw/wash with the K-33 4/8 ohm in a LaScala. As a center channel I cut the mid and tweeter by 3db, using the taps on the T2A and changing the unput capacitor. (13 to 6.5). My center channel has its own amp and level control for proper balance. I

Your set-up sounds a lot like what I am shooting for. The center channel will have its own amp. I will control level through the pre-amp. Edited by spezjag

"I tried the 15L   but the 15B was a clear winner. "

The frame and magnet structures are the same, and so are the voice-coils.

The difference is the 15L has a lighter cone than the 15B, so the Qts drops from 0.297 to 0.238. This pushes the mass corner up a bit, but the lighter cone will break up too (it's for lead guitar).

"I tried the 15L but the 15B was a clear winner. "

The frame and magnet structures are the same, and so are the voice-coils.

The difference is the 15L has a lighter cone than the 15B, so the Qts drops from 0.297 to 0.238. This pushes the mass corner up a bit, but the lighter cone will break up too (it's for lead guitar).

So, going back to my original question: is there a benefit to changing to an EVM 15B in the folded-horn LS and Belle? And if so, what changes are required to the crossovers to accommodate the 8 ohm EVM 15B to make this a positive modification?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by spezjag