WTB iPhone 4s, 5 or 5s

Youthman

• Moderators

My daughter's iPhone 4s totally locked up. Tried to Repair and completely Restore through iTunes, also tried the hard reboot but it's still locked up on the Apple logo.

Looking to see if anyone has an iPhone 4S, 5 or 5S for Tmobile they aren't using and would be willing to sell.

so you tried rebooting on computer and on phone?

can you take apart and unplug the battery? if not maybe just give it a few days. it will die eventually and then plug it in and try reboot. if she NEEDS a phone for a couple days let her take yours? just a thought vs buying 

• Moderators
so you tried rebooting on computer and on phone?

I had a friend suggest connecting the phone to iTunes and starting the phone in DFU Mode to restore it.  Doing that now.

if she NEEDS a phone for a couple days let her take yours? just a thought vs buying

Definitely not a "Need", more of a convenience.   Believe it or not, we didn't always have cell phones.  LOL

I know it'll come down to the cheapest price, but if you can manage it, I'd go for the 5S if possible.

She got my iPhone 4S when I upgraded to the 5S.  She's the oldest girl (14yrs old).  For christmas last year, we bought our 12yr old her first phone (iPhone 5S).  Yes the older was jealous but she got over it.  Haha.  I'm in agreement, I would prefer to get her a more recent phone than the 4S. 

I know it'll come down to the cheapest price, but if you can manage it, I'd go for the 5S if possible. The 4S and 5 have pretty well known battery issues,  plus the 5S is a significant jump in performance from the 5 not the mention the 4S.

The 4s (I don't know about the 5x) also has a well known issue with the on-button breaking (fixable) and the home button breaking (fixable).  You can find those fixes on Youtube.

I bought a 4s in near-perfect condition about a year ago, $100, just before the 6x came out.  I don't know what the market is for them now.

• Moderators

A friend suggested I start the phone in DFU while connected to iTunes.  That worked.  Wiped everything out but at least it's working.  iCloud will restore her contacts but she only has 5GB of storage for a 32GB phone so her photos are gone.  Life could be worse.  Haha

Swappa is a good site to but used phones or tablets.  They try hard to make sure the phones are clean so you can add them to your plan.  They do all the carriers and unlocked phones.  I bought a used Samsung Note Pro 12.2 for AT&T and had a very good experience.

https://swappa.com/

Edited by Video Guy

I know it'll come down to the cheapest price, but if you can manage it, I'd go for the 5S if possible. The 4S and 5 have pretty well known battery issues,  plus the 5S is a significant jump in performance from the 5 not the mention the 4S.

Any S models are not huge upgrade over original version. It is better but not a big time.

Any S models are not huge upgrade over original version. It is better but not a big time.

I heard the 5s was a pre-entry 6. It has most of the features of a 6, but in a 5 body. It's the first iPhone built around a 64 bit architecture. 

• Moderators
I heard the 5s was a pre-entry 6. It has most of the features of a 6, but in a 5 body. It's the first iPhone built around a 64 bit architecture.

I had the 5s before upgrading to the 6. 

The 6 had three features I was interested in:

1)  Thumbprint

2)  Calling Over Wifi (Where I live, I get HORRIBLE reception with T-Mobile.  Wifi calling fixed that)
3)  Larger Screen

There were some other enhancements like faster processor but the above 3 were the main things I was interested in.

But the best part was I called T-Mobile and they offered a trade in program.  I'm not sure why but they offered me $50 more than what the 6 was going to cost so after I traded mine in, they sent me a Credit Card for $50.  Works for me!

I had the 5s before upgrading to the 6. 

The 6 had three features I was interested in:

1)  Thumbprint

2)  Calling Over Wifi (Where I live, I get HORRIBLE reception with T-Mobile.  Wifi calling fixed that)

3)  Larger Screen

There were some other enhancements like faster processor but the above 3 were the main things I was interested in.

But the best part was I called T-Mobile and they offered a trade in program.  I'm not sure why but they offered me $50 more than what the 6 was going to cost so after I traded mine in, they sent me a Credit Card for $50.  Works for me!

I believe the 6 has a better camera and video section than the 5s also, I doubt you were going for that, being the camera guru :D

I got my daughter a 6 yesterday, seems very nice. I have a 5s, the 6 is a nice step up in screen size without being too large like some phones are. The 5s has a fingerprint reader.

First iPhone was the best for making some money I send at least 500 of them from US to Europe it was excellent business back then.

Every S model is better previous version no question but worst in some then new model but I agree we can call S version pre-entry new line why not.

Edited by retro124

My wife's last two phones were 4s and 5s. She just upgraded to a Samsung S6 active. She absolutely loves it. With an 8 core cpu and 16megapixel camera it's pretty sweet.

Anyway, we asked ATT about unlocking the iPhone, and he said no problem. We go a code from them, did a backup to iCloud and a restore. When it was done it was unlocked and like a brand new phone. A lot of phones actually work better once they are unlocked. Anyway, we'll be selling it in the Philippines when we go over next month.

I currently have a Windows phone (Nokia Lumia 920), that I absolutely love, but it's three years old. I'm going to switch to the same model my wife got so I can help the wife when there are issues.

Bruce